Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Key stuck - any ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Key stuck - any ideas?

Fellas here's the scoop:

I took apart the ignition lock cylinder in order to stop the constant beeping when the door opened (no matter if key in or out). I cleaned it all up - the silicone sprayed in there had made a huge mess. Now when i put it back together, I can't get the key out! The car starts, accessory works and will turn off - it just won't release the key! The key comes out fine when the lock cylinder isn't in the lock body.

I'd love any suggestions - would hate to have to take this to a Honda dealer if its an easy fix.

Thanks

Sounds like you messed something up. Try taking it back apart and double checking.
    1993 Accord EX
    2011 Subaru STi

Comment

Originally posted by tonymontana1204 View Post
      Sounds like you messed something up. Try taking it back apart and double checking.

x2 sounds like u meesed something up ...

Comment

Is the key interlock solenoid holding it in?

"The fault-finder will find faults even in paradise. Love your life, poor as it is. You may perhaps have some pleasant, thrilling, glorious hours, even in a poorhouse."-Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Originally posted by cb7coupe93 View Post
          x2 sounds like u meesed something up ...
          way to postwhore.

Comment

hope you don't mind me piggybacking in on this as i have a similiar problem. whenever it's really cold out, ie morning or late at night, the key won't release! i'll have to try 5-10 times before it finally turns that extra click and comes out. this only happens when it's cold, when it's nice out no problems, it'll push in and turn the extra click and i can get it out. any suggestions?

Comment

Originally posted by slammed2tone View Post
              hope you don't mind me piggybacking in on this as i have a similiar problem. whenever it's really cold out, ie morning or late at night, the key won't release! i'll have to try 5-10 times before it finally turns that extra click and comes out. this only happens when it's cold, when it's nice out no problems, it'll push in and turn the extra click and i can get it out. any suggestions?
              Is your by any chance an automatic? Mine did the same thing (auto, usually when it's cold outside). Turned out to be the contacts on the shifter assembly (mounted on the driver's side). The grease was old and gummy especially when cold not allowing the contact to pop out and fully contact the board. This made the car think it was not in P which in turn doesn't allow the key to come out. Cleaned it out, applied a bit of electrical contact grease and all was good.

Part number 4 in the diagram below.

Comment

It's possible that you have a stuck pin in there. Something is causing it to not pop back up allowing the key to slide out. I'd say clean it all up again, and use graphite on it instead of silicone. Squirt some down into everywhere you can (it's going to make a mess, use a newspaper and possible rubber gloves.) then work they key in and out and turn it back and forth to distribute the graphite powder throughout the mechanism.

Comment

@YK86 yes it is an auto, i'm even from b.c. haha. i'll have to take a look, it'll pop out after a couple times of trying, usually when i go realll slow. Winter is coming so it's just gonna get worse.

@visualpoet I will try that as well, thanks!

Comment

Hey Everyone - thanks for the advice so far. I forgot to mention that the key is stuck in the I-II-III (accessory-on-start) part. It seems as if the key lock is preventing it from coming out - but I know the transmission sensor is working (i hear the click when putting in "P" and the "P" lights up).

Any other ideas?

I'm looking around for a replacement lock cylinder tomorrow - a locksmith can rekey this to my existing keys?

Thanks again.

Comment

The tranny interlock circuit aslo recieves a signal from the brake pedal.

Black Housing DIY 1991 Wagon Morimoto Retrofit
                      JDM One-Piece Headlight Lens Repair

Comment

Figured it out

Ok just to wrap this up I took the key lock cylinder out again and cleaned out as much of the silicone spray as i could get too and re-lubed the whole thing with dry graphite spray. This does make a HUGE mess - thx for the warnings about this. Did this outside the car (and garage) and recommend that. The lube seemed to help the lock but it ultimately will need replacement down the road as the lock tumblers are wearing out.

The whole problem however, was that I didn't put it back right. There's a little electrical/mechanical switch on the bottom of the lock body that sticks up into the cylinder chamber. I took this off - there's one screw and one plastic pin holding the switch to the lock body. With this removed, the key once again could move to all positions. Then put the switch back on with the lock cylinder in all the way and the key turned *almost* to the "I" position. The beauty of this method is if you get it wrong, you'll know immediately - the key will either be stuck in the "I-II-II" part, or the key will only go from "0 to almost I". Its probably easier for anyone changing/lubing/replacing their lock cylinder only to do this instead of trying to jiggle the thing back in perfectly the first time.

Thanks again to all u guys who help out. Hope the wrap up can help someone too.

Comment

Working...
                        X