Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Best intake manifold/throttlebody upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 93F22A6 View Post
    The black box you do not need. To run the iabs(butterflies, just run a vac. hose from the diaphram to an intake vac. port.) ....
    that is wrong. This will cause the plate to not operate correctly, they will open when they should be shut.

You DO need the black box along with the ECU that runs it.

If you decide to gut the plate, do not expect any of the gains seen with the blacktrax spacer as it's gains are seen via the spacer being plastic.
    ____

Comment

Originally posted by bcjammerx View Post
      that is wrong. This will cause the plate to not operate correctly, they will open when they should be shut.

You DO need the black box along with the ECU that runs it.

If you decide to gut the plate, do not expect any of the gains seen with the blacktrax spacer as it's gains are seen via the spacer being plastic.
      I'm pretty sure your wrong. I did it on my car it worked. I have mine open all the time. When the engine is off and no vac they are open, when you fire it up they close. Then the more throttle you give her the more they open until they are wide open. If you don't belive me go try it yourself.

86 4Runner - 22RE 5spd, 4" Lift, 35x12.5R15 BFG Km2's, 4.10 gears
      "The Turtle"
      DD/Trail Rig/Mud Bug

Comment

Originally posted by 93F22A6 View Post
        I'm pretty sure your wrong. I did it on my car it worked. I have mine open all the time. When the engine is off and no vac they are open, when you fire it up they close. Then the more throttle you give her the more they open until they are wide open. If you don't belive me go try it yourself.
        I know that is what they do when you have them hooked up as you do, I was saying that is not how they are designed to work...which is why I said you need the box to control them.

The way you have it, you defeat the purpose of having the potential for having variable intake runner length as it doesn't function properly and you are in fact...reversing how they are supposed to work.

When you go WOT you don't want them to pop open...which they do in your setup. With your setup once you go WOT, or when you just hold the throttle open slightly actually, they immediately fully open, even at low rpm with your setup...which is the wrong setup.

They are supposed to gradually open...I've seen folks say the ecu opens them anywhere from 4900-5300 rpm's...I dunno really but they are closed at lower rpms and open gradually at higher rpms. You will also need the pt6 ecu to control the black box.
        ____

Comment

Originally posted by bcjammerx View Post
          I know that is what they do when you have them hooked up as you do, I was saying that is not how they are designed to work...which is why I said you need the box to control them.

The way you have it, you defeat the purpose of having the potential for having variable intake runner length as it doesn't function properly and you are in fact...reversing how they are supposed to work.

When you go WOT you don't want them to pop open...which they do in your setup. With your setup once you go WOT, or when you just hold the throttle open slightly actually, they immediately fully open, even at low rpm with your setup...which is the wrong setup.

They are supposed to gradually open...I've seen folks say the ecu opens them anywhere from 4900-5300 rpm's...I dunno really but they are closed at lower rpms and open gradually at higher rpms. You will also need the pt6 ecu to control the black box.
          Mine are unhooked to be open all the time for the time being. I have tried three set ups just to see the difference. Having them hooked straight up to the manifold feels awesome, to me it pulls a little stronger than the having the black box run them. Now I have it so they are open all the time and I really can't tell a difference between this setup and having it hooked to the manifold. Also I read that the iabs open at approx 4600rpm. Didn't mean to sound blunt saying you were wrong but what you posted makes more sense now, rather than what you said before.

86 4Runner - 22RE 5spd, 4" Lift, 35x12.5R15 BFG Km2's, 4.10 gears
          "The Turtle"
          DD/Trail Rig/Mud Bug

Comment

they stay closed at low rpms for torque and open at higher R's for more flow so if they are opening at higher R's and staying closed at low like he claims then aren't they working properly !?!

Comment

If they stay closed at low RPMs, would porting the intake manifold out cause a loss of torque at low RPMs? or should only the secondary runners be ported out? Does porting the throttlebody separate from the intake manifold help with power? And can a civic ECU be tuned to use the secondary runners? I only ask because if I do an ECU swap I'd prefer an ECU which can be fully tuned.

Comment

Originally posted by Sarthos View Post
                If they stay closed at low RPMs, would porting the intake manifold out cause a loss of torque at low RPMs? or should only the secondary runners be ported out? Does porting the throttlebody separate from the intake manifold help with power? And can a civic ECU be tuned to use the secondary runners? I only ask because if I do an ECU swap I'd prefer an ECU which can be fully tuned.
                use the friendly search button at the top of your screen. its your friend. all of these are covered throughout this board repeatedly. there's even an entire section dedicated to ECU tuning.
                90 LX (R.I.P.) http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=137301
                91 EX (DD) http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=142483

Comment

learnin a lil more

Comment

Originally posted by Dinero View Post
                    learnin a lil more
                    And whoring a lot more.

Don't worry. 0 follows 29.

Comment

I read that they can be tuned to match other cars but I couldn't find anything about this specific application.

Comment

Working...
                      X