Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Rocker Arm Assembly Bolts...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rocker Arm Assembly Bolts...

I am replacing my o rings and I am trying to torque the bolts down. There are about 6 10mm bolts and a bunch of 12mm a couple different lengths. I have a inch-lbs torque wrench and I'm not sure what to torque these bolt at. Does anyone have any idea? I believe the 10mm are 12lbs and the 12mm are 22lbs but how does that convert to inches? Do I just times it by 12? That sounds logical but I just want to be sure. The other thing is the torque wrench I have only goes to 200 inch-lbs so hopefully its not gonna require more than that.

Get a chiltons manual, it will tell you all the torque specs you need. Also, 200 inch-pounds equates to only about 16.5 foot-pounds. they are all going to be higher than that, probably from around 35 for the smaller ones to over 100 for the more critical ones

Click for my Member's Ride Thread
    Originally posted by Stephen Fry
    'It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so fucking what?' —Stephen Fry
    Eye Level Media - Commercial & Automotive Photography: www.EyeLevelSTL.com

Comment

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
      - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
      - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
      - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
      - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
      - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
      - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
      - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
      Current cars:
      - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
      - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Yes you multiply by 12 to go from lb-ft to lb-in.

16 lb-ft = 196 lb-in
        9 lb-ft = 108 lb-in
        MR Thread
        GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

Hey right on for all the info guys, thanks [cp]mike good lookin on the diagram that was helpful.

Comment

wow, I was thinking of trailing arms, not rocker arms

Click for my Member's Ride Thread
            Originally posted by Stephen Fry
            'It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so fucking what?' —Stephen Fry
            Eye Level Media - Commercial & Automotive Photography: www.EyeLevelSTL.com

Comment

Originally posted by GhostAccord View Post
              Yes you multiply by 12 to go from lb-ft to lb-in.

16 lb-ft = 196 lb-in
              9 lb-ft = 108 lb-in
              correction 16 lb-ft = "192" lb-in.
              not tryna be insulting, just wanna make sure he doesn't destroy his head lol.

engine head components don't need really heavy torquing, but when u get to suspension components it's requires way more lb-ft. like example control arms n trailing arms require around 30-42 lb-ft.

also there's a certain sequence that u're supposed to tighten the rocker bolts and don't tighten them too quickly cuz this area of the engine is vital. i suggest u hand tighten in the correct sequence, then tighten to half of what the torque requirement is. and after that THEN fully torque them to the specs...... and after that triple check n make sure that all the bolts are torqued correctly. it may take a lil while longer and ur arm may burn during, but it's not worth ruining the head over impatience.
              RIP '91 LX.

Comment

Thanks for the correction...a 4 lb-in typo glad someone is good at math, it's not always my strongest subject.

As for the tightening, The manual suggests that each bolt should be tightened 2 turns (720°) at a time in the sequence shown above until they reach the given tq specified. This will help to ensure that the rockers do not bind on the valves
                MR Thread
                GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

You should have all the valve adjusting screws backed off so that the torque goes into properly seating the rocker mounts and not into compressing valve springs.
                  90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
                  08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

OK well I just went ahead and just put the assembly back and on and hand tightened the bolts then torqued them down in sequence. I did all that before I read the rest of this thread, I wasn't aware it was so much more involved than that. The car seems to be driving fine tho so hopefully I got everything right.

Comment

Originally posted by cp[mike] View Post
                      I am sorry, i know this is an old thread but this picture and someone else's conversions to inch pounds really saved me some time on Sunday when i was doing my valve cover gasket including upper and lower tube seals.
                      1997 Ford Explorer V-6 AT (what a piece of junk)
                      1993 Nissan Sentra M/T (front end damage, off road for now)
                      1999 Mercury Mountaineer V-8 A/T - RIP (rolled: totaled)
                      1992 Honda Accord A/T EX - RIP (transmission shot: sold to junkyard)

Comment

Working...
                      X