Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

92 EX drinking oil after intake swap.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

92 EX drinking oil after intake swap.

I have a 92EX A6 with 300,000 miles, car ran fine only used about 1/2 quart of oil every 10 days or so. Over Christmas I put on my new intake set up. This mod consists of A6 intake runners with double stacked IAB's that are operational, with a H23 plenum and TB with a Bisimoto heat shielding intake gasket.
    I put everything back on and started the car It ran beautiful. Idles at 800-900 after warm up. It was pretty cold outside so I opened the garage door to start the car. I thought I was just seeing hot exhaust in the cold air, so I paid no attention to it. I shut the car off and checked every thing over before I went on a test drive, the oil was LOW....I don't let THAT happen ever I check my oil weekly. I put in 2 qts and now the oil level is FULL to the top mark on dip-stick. I took the car out and it ran fine I sped up quickly from 10 to 40 and I thought I could see a little smoke as I accelerated. I pulled out on a main street from a stop I then accelerated quickly as if to pull into traffic....there was no traffic. Under the street lights all I could see was SMOKE behind me. Under acceleration and at every shift I was fogging the entire lane with smoke, drove 2 miles to get home. Pulled into the garage and checked the oil and and the engine BURNED 2+ quarts. I am LOST..... I don't know what this could be I don't believe the swap caused this problem.
    The only other work done at this same time was heater hoses replaced and O-rings on the transfer pipe on the back of the motor. I need help.

Thanks and Be Well.

HAPPY NEW YEAR and be safe

Looks like it's time for a rebuild.

Black Housing DIY 1991 Wagon Morimoto Retrofit
    JDM One-Piece Headlight Lens Repair

Comment

Seems like that poor thing couldn't hadle the added power. I say your rings are done. If your really lucky, it might just be your valve stem seals. All 16 of them. Highly unlikely judging by the amout of oil you burned. San bye bye to that Catalytic converter as well, if your running one.

Purchased From: busak87, GunRunner, Bruce Banner, Itstatcb7kid707, tJoods, DannyD

The Caravan 2015
      MRT:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=180919

Comment

I think your engine is done have you checked to see if you have any visible leaks anywhere. That's a lot of oil to burn just going around the block to test drive, you should see alot of smoke if your burning that much oil.
        Sold to:
        GunRunner,mtnickel,SanJoCaF22DrAcc,sikz6,daovangph otos,megarock15,
        Purchased From :cb95spd,"sleepin"

Comment

Originally posted by Koochologist View Post
          I think your engine is done have you checked to see if you have any visible leaks anywhere. That's a lot of oil to burn just going around the block to test drive, you should see alot of smoke if your burning that much oil.
          I've poored a capful of oil down the carb of my rx7 before (when it has had starting issues), and after it started up, the car smoked so much, it was like a James Bond movie, where he's running from the baddy, hits the button, and they can't see and drive off a cliff or something. It was so thick, and lingered so long, by the time I drove around the block and back to where I started, there was still smoke from before I went around the block.

That was a capful of oil... if you were really burning that much oil (2 quarts), you would easily be able to see it in your rearview, all the time.

I would check for oil leaks first.
          PT3/6 Development Thread | My 1991 LX Coupe | DIY: 90-93 Tcu Fix

Comment

I did the test drive at night the rear end was sticking out of the garage and I didn't see much then and there are no street light in my neighborhood.
            I saw the smoke when I pulled out on the main road with street lights that's when I saw it and come straight home.
            I've been underneath the car on jack stands while it's running there is no oil running or dripping from under the car, BUT starts smoking like a bitch almost immediately when started. Two days later I started the car in the garage with the door closed, before I could get out and push the garage door opener to air out the garage it was bad and getting worse and it's clearly coming from the exhaust.
            It becomes a smoke generator when you rev the motor up.

Comment

Do a leak down test to see where it is coming from.

I would personally do the rebuild. At least new rings and valve seals and gaskets.

Black Housing DIY 1991 Wagon Morimoto Retrofit
              JDM One-Piece Headlight Lens Repair

Comment

I have been considering a engine swap, this is my daily driver. I'm wondering if a H22 from HMO might be the best option, the HP gain and the lower mileage on the engines offered for the price. They are offering a JDM H22A 200 h.p. 161 tq. for $999.00 and $200.00 for a P13 ECU. Steve said he could ship to my location for $195.00 that's $1394.00 to my door. I don,t believe I can rebuild my F22 for that.
                THEN I have to get it in, required maintenance and fluids and such.

Comment

if your not looking for much performance, the jdm f22b dohc is a great replacement motor. i have one in my coupe and its a great running engine that offers a little more than the sohc.
                  COUPE K24

Comment

Mine does this too, my theory on this is when the IAB's open, the extra air being sucked thru the IM MIGHT be picking up excess oil. I cant only see smoke on initial take off, and I can only smell the oil after a hard pull ( beyond 4 K ). I am going to build a DIY oil catch can to see if this is my issue. Other than this little problem, my car runs AWESOME, pulls very strong, no power loss. OP I would start checking your PCV valve, and pull the intake pipe and inspect inside the plenum for oil.
                    Originally posted by Mishakol129
                    Do not disrespect my intelligence. I am the smartest person I know : )

Comment

I'll pull the plenum tomorrow first thing and see. I put a new PCV valve in for this swap.

Comment

I pulled the plenum and no oil inside. I used a flashlight and looked down into the runners they looked dry and I did not see any oil pooling in the bottoms of the runners. When I pulled the down pipe from the exhaust manifold I got oil!!!
                        It's wet and oily....looks terminal, I'm going to call HMO and get an engine and ECU and just keep going

Comment

Sounds like that extra vacuum is sucking oil past your intake valve seals and spitting it out through your exhaust valves. I know you are getting another motor, but you might want to check your catalytic converter.
                          Last edited by WagonLX; 01-03-2012, 02:50 PM.

Comment

yeah checking the Cat is going to be a must just one more thing. At least I don't have to be worried about emission inspection I'm going to keep my fingers crossed.

Comment

You don't necessarily need to go out and buy another motor. I spent around $1,200 to rebuild my motor and add some hop ups at the same time. If you feel comfortable working on the engine yourself and farm out a few essential items to the professionals, you could probably rebuild it for around $500-$700. Having a place for down time is essential too.

Purchased From: busak87, GunRunner, Bruce Banner, Itstatcb7kid707, tJoods, DannyD

The Caravan 2015
                              MRT:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=180919

Comment

Working...
                              X