Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Rear Balancer Shaft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear Balancer Shaft

Im in the process of installing new timing belts finally, and I've looked at the stickies , watched a couple of videos on youtube, and I cant seem to get a good understanding of how to time my rear balancing shaft. I've got an f22a6, on some of the videos i watched the maintenance hole was never even addressed, and there seemed to be timing marks on the pulley itself and the block, but i cant seem to find the mark on my block, assuming there is one. Or is the maintenance hole a must use thing on my motor?
    Last edited by Jarrett; 07-13-2013, 02:26 PM.

You must use a 6mmx100mm bolt or a screw driver in the balance shaft service port. If you don't you run a larger chance of not being in time with the rotational forces.

Comment

There's a dot on the gear and a marking (looks like "V") on the casting to which the gear is attached.
      You need to align these markings and stick a screw driver into the service port to secure it while the balancer belt is being installed, IIRC.

[IMG][/IMG]
      Last edited by oyajicool; 07-13-2013, 02:59 PM.
      A&P-IA

Comment

The last t-belt job I did was on my 95 Odyssey, I finally used the maintenance hole to time the rear shaft, it worked out great. It was one less thing to worry about since it spins so easy while putting the belt on. Then you just have to worry about the front bal. shaft and that's about it. You can use a bolt, a drill bit, a screwdriver, as long as it fits in the hole, as tight of a fit as possible will yield the most accurate positioning. At the same time, spin the rear shaft and push in on the bolt and it will slide right in all the way holding the shaft where it needs to be. I'm going to assume you know where it is but just in case, it's the only 12mm bolt w/ an aluminum crush washer on the back of the block, 1/2 way between the t-belt area and oil filter and also just above the axle shaft.

Comment

Okay, the marking on the gear is obvious... But im having some trouble identifying the v shaped mark your referring to, i see one, but its on the back part of the gear itself it seems like... Maybe im overlooking it..

Comment

[IMG][/IMG]

This is off of my spare engine, F22A1, which was installed on Prelude as I was told. The markings on the casting is not "V" as I first thought as you can see.

Yours does not look the same as mine,,,,,
            I thought A1 and A6 share common parts on blocks. And thought the balance shafts are among those parts.

Comparing the photos, you could guesstimate the location of markings by referencing bolts and poke a stick in service port. If it goes in, then, your aft shaft is timed.
            Last edited by oyajicool; 07-13-2013, 04:46 PM.
            A&P-IA

Comment

I'll figure it out. Thanks for the help amigos! Now that I better understand what I'm doing mechanically I think it'll be much easier.
              Last edited by Matthyooz11; 07-13-2013, 04:38 PM.

Comment

Scrap what I said above.

Pulled the actual shaft off the shelf and I see the timing hole on it.
                It is "off centered", so there's only one orientation that a stick would go in. There's no need for aligning markings on the shaft.

Sorry for misinformation.

Good luck with your work.
                Last edited by oyajicool; 07-13-2013, 04:54 PM.
                A&P-IA

Comment

They are the same, his just has the balance shaft retainer in place.

Comment

Are you talking about balance shaft seal retainer?

I guess his has a plate that I didn't get on my block for some reason......

Looking at the page of the manual I posted, I can make out that plate in the picture,,,,. I guess some one worked on my spare engine didn't put everything back onto the block.
                    Last edited by oyajicool; 07-13-2013, 05:14 PM.
                    A&P-IA

Comment

It's referred to as a side plate...13519-PT0-000... Not sure what engines they came on. Or what function they serve!
                      Last edited by GhostAccord; 07-13-2013, 05:19 PM.
                      MR Thread
                      GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

The difference I see between mine and the OP's is that mine has belt guide built onto the gear while his doesn't. I am guessing that plate is installed so that the belt does not drift off on the block side.
                        A&P-IA

Comment

Actually his pulley also has the ridge it is just behind the side plate. Look closely.

Both my '93 F22A6 and '92 F22A1 have the plate. The FSMs I have it is shown in the '92 FSM but not the '91 FSM. So maybe it is a 9293 feature.

Comment

Working...
                          X