Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

oil mist in the air intake pipe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oil mist in the air intake pipe?

I was replacing the air filter and when I checked the pipe that goes from the air filter to the intake I noticed there is an oil mist in the pipe. I could clean it but it doesn;t look well . Where is that oil coming from?

The filter was clean as long as oil goes.

help!

PCV most likely venting off the mist into the plenum.

Comment

Well, I had the PCV broken once. It gave me the code and everything ( CEL). I have to admit I drove the car with a busted PCV for a short period of time (weeks). Meanwhile I cleaned the PCV ports and replace the PCV....all these was 6 years ago.

I am going to check the PCV and give a clean in anyways.

Thanks for the hint

Comment

Are you sure that you are talking about the same system? The PCV, is the positive crankcase ventilation system. Sounds more like you are referring to the EGR, Exhaust gas recirculation system. The PCV doesn't have any ports, EGR does and there is no CEL for the PCV.

The PCV is the tube that goes from your valve cover to your intake manifold. When this valve gets plugged the dirty oil filled air will back up and go through tube going between the valve cover and the intake tube. I think this is probably what is going on if you still have this system intact.
        MR Thread
        GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

You sir, are 100 &#37; right! I got all confused.

Going to check the PCV tomorrow..I do have that valve on .

I was about to take apart the EGR valve and give a clean, thinking it was the PCV, but decided to do it tomorrow....hahahhaha

Thanks man!

PS: What did you mean by the "system intact" ?

PS1: How do i know it is working properly? Should I give a clean ? or replace it?

Comment

System intact - Meaning the OEM PCV complete with the PCV valve on the valve cover going to the intake manifold and the fresh air intake hose going from the intake tube (before the throttle body) to the valve cover. A lot of times guys will delete on of these thinking that it will help with performance..... Just wanted to see if you still have the OEM system installed!

A lot of times you can remove the PCV valve and give it a cleaning with a can of throttle body cleaner, or soak it in warm soapy water for a few hours, while giving it a good shake from time to time.

Another problem is that sometimes the PCV hoses will become clogged or collapse in on themselves, this will cause a restriction and possibly cause the dirty air out the clean air hose going to the intake tube.
            MR Thread
            GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

then, the system is intact.
              I will check it out tomorrow. I guess if it is there, it is for a reason. I will check the valve and the hose.

Cheers,

Comment

update:

I was prying off the PCV valve and the grommet was brittle and broke off. Thanks god , the pieces were visible and I could take them out of the engine cavity....

The PCV valve looks like working but the sucking is not that strong.

Should I go and buy the pcv valve and the grommet all together or just the grommet?

How can I know if the PCV is working properly.It should suck in when engine on idle, but how strong should the suction be?

Comment

It should be strong enough that there is suction from the hose on the other end of hte valve cover.

if this doesn't fix the issue it is probably due to excessive blowby in the engine at higher RPMs. Not much you can do with this other than to instal oil catch cans on the hoses.
                  MR Thread
                  GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

I see. The PCV looks fine , the valve looks fine. It is one way. Towards the intake manifold the is flow. And it closes the other way. Although if one blows hard enough, there is air coming out of the end going into the engine. Is that a good PCV?

An oil catch can...who would have known. It is not that serious. I noticed it by accident I saw the pipe looking shinny and it was like an oil spray had been applied, not runny , just a mist.

I barely reach 3000 at the rpm, when I drive it. This must have been when I took it to new brunswick, lots of steep hills up there.

Thanks for the hints man!

Comment

Working...
                    X