Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Windshield-Washer Reservoir 1991 Honda Accord

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windshield-Washer Reservoir 1991 Honda Accord

Hello... Happy New Year to everyone here!

First, I want to thank the people who have helped me with other issues that I've had with my 1991 Accord EX 2-Door when I post a question. They have been very helpful.

Well, it a new year and a new problem has come up.

I was out the other day and when I was using my windshield-wiper and went to use the windshield-washer nothing came out. So I got home and noticed that the reservoir was empty so I filled it and thought that is it. But no…when I started the car and backed out of the driveway I noticed liquid where I was parked. Yes, when I got out to check..you guess it..it was the windshield-washer fluid.
    Great!

What do I need to do to fix this problem.

Thank you!

It seems likely that your reservoir has a leak, I'm the form of a crack or a chunk missing. It's not to uncommon for 20+ year old plastic to fail. I also see you're in Delaware, any freezing weather recently? Frozen WW fluid could crack a tank.

You can either fix the tank with some sealant, replace it with a tank from a junk yard, or buy a new replacement from the dealership.

You will need to jack the car up and remove the tire OR turn the tire enough to access the screws that retain the fender liner. Removing the plastic liner will give you a view of the tank and with some effort you can remove the retaining bolts and decide on your next course of action.

If you can't get it out this way the only alternative is to remove the front bumper, which is not difficult but I do recommend a helper to line both edges back up on the reinstall. Look up front bumper removal on here if you need to do that.
    Last edited by CB7NWDD; 01-12-2015, 02:02 PM.

Comment

Or you can try these out.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Washer-R...f63f4b&vxp=mtr
      My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Originally posted by CB7NWDD View Post
        It seems likely that your reservoir has a leak, I'm the form of a crack or a chunk missing. It's not to uncommon for 20+ year old plastic to fail. I also see you're in Delaware, any freezing weather recently? Frozen WW fluid could crack a tank.

You can either fix the tank with some sealant, replace it with a tank from a junk yard, or buy a new replacement from the dealership.

You will need to jack the car up and remove the tire OR turn the tire enough to access the screws that retain the fender liner. Removing the plastic liner will give you a view of the tank and with some effort you can remove the retaining bolts and decide on your next course of action.

If you can't get it out this way the only alternative is to remove the front bumper, which is not difficult but I do recommend a helper to line both edges back up on the reinstall. Look up front bumper removal on here if you need to do that.
        Thank you CB7NWDD and Jarrett for your suggestions.

Yes,the last week,we have had freezing weather. Never thought about it.

I am the original owner. On October 17th of last year my car turned 23! Also, on November 11th of last year it turned over 90,000 miles!

I can't remember ever having to have this replaced but I think that's good when you think of the age of the car!

Thank you both again for taking the time to help me with this problem.

Comment

Jarrets suggested replacement is probably the best bang for your buck, and in this case an Ebay part is probably as good as a OE part.

I hope that's all there is to it, just a crack. Congrats on 90k, my CB's are both 93 models and have 232k and 252k... I'm pretty jealous of your low mileage!

Comment

Originally posted by Jarrett View Post
            I bought one of these. No issues with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Georgia View Post

First, I want to thank the people who have helped me with other issues that I've had with my 1991 Accord EX 2-Door when I post a question. They have been very helpful.

I was out the other day and when I was using my windshield-wiper and went to use the windshield-washer nothing came out. So I got home and noticed that the reservoir was empty so I filled it and thought that is it. But no…when I started the car and backed out of the driveway I noticed liquid where I was parked. Yes, when I got out to check..you guess it..it was the windshield-washer fluid.
              Great!

Thank you!
              Cool to see a local. Smyrna Delaware here.

1991 Accord LX .

Comment

i had this problem also but it turned out my bottle was not cracked, the top part in the engine bay was not fit into the tank properly. You just have to remove the screw by the lid and push the tube in if u have the same problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Georgia View Post

Great!

Thank you!
                  Before you go to all the effort to replace, how far did you try to fill it? If you try to fill it up into the filler neck, the fluid will leak out over the top of the tank. You may have just overfilled it. Do you still have the yellow float? Also, before trying to remove the tank, make sure the leak isn't from the motor/pump interface with the tank or the line on the pump. These can both be accessed relatively easily by undoing the front portion of the fender liner.
                  90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
                  08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

It seems highly unlikely that a leak from the filler neck would cause the fluid level to be so low that his sprayers would not work as the OP stated. I think we can safely rule out the filler neck issues.

Comment

I just had almost the same exact experience this past weekend. Im going to hop on a replacement as well. Thats awesome you've had the same car for 23 years, and congrats as said about the 90k.

Comment

wow 90k tht is not bad...im at 205k...kind of jelly tbh
                        F22B1 Swap. #StanceNation

91' Accord Project

Paint is custom faded. (Love the Frankenstein look!)

Comment

Originally posted by CB7NWDD View Post
                          It seems highly unlikely that a leak from the filler neck would cause the fluid level to be so low that his sprayers would not work as the OP stated. I think we can safely rule out the filler neck issues.
                          Unless it was empty in the first place because he'd used it all up. Even so, could be the pump itself leaking, the line at the pump, or the rubber grommet between the pump and the tank; all of which can be accessed more easily than replacing the whole assembly.
                          90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
                          08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Working...
                          X