Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Overheating/coolant problem. PLEASE HELP :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Overheating/coolant problem. PLEASE HELP :(

-93 Honda accord ex.

Let me start with the basics.....
    I have a slight antifreeze leak. I've been keeping coolant in it. About 3 weeks ago, I noticed my car was getting super hot. I pulled over and let it cool down, then drove it home. At this point in time, I'm almost positive its not a water pump issue. (i'm hoping someone can clarify this for me.) When I turn the heater on full blast (defrost) the car wont overheat. I can drive it all around town, on the freeway, everything. (I live in Utah, its winter right now.) That lets me know that antifreeze is pumping through the second "radiator" that is used to heat the cabin of the car. That being said, my next step was to check the fans. I had noticed I couldn't hear them coming on. So I got my car fairly hot, popped the hood, and checked to see if the fans were on. they weren't. So I figured that was the culprit. First thing I did, I hardwired the fans strait to the battery. They work. Then, I shorted out the pig tail clip and that turned them on. So at that point, I replaced the coolant temp sensor. (the one that's NOT next to the thermostat. It's on the top coolant hose, I believe.) Now the fan comes on when I turn the car off. ( I know the fan is supposed to do that when it gets hot.) but now I cant figure out what I need to do to get them to come on when the car is on... when it actually matters lol. I found the second coolant temp sensor that's next to the thermostat at a junk yard and i'm going to put that in today to see if that might be the problem. Please, anyone with more knowledge about this, let me know. I care very much about my car and it drives me insane when things don't work properly. and i'm definitely not going to pay someone my entire bank roll to fix it.

Thanks, -koda259

That is quite strange. Maybe it's a wire issue? Dunno. Let us know what happens with the other sensor.

Comment

Your forgetting about the fan relays... "the relay controls the fan, the Control Unit controls the relay, and the temp switches and temp sensors control the Radiator Fan Control Unit."

Read this thread - http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=171056

I would consult your manual for proper testing of each component that controls the fans. Come back here if you are confused and we will do our best to help.

Comment

Well, my day was extremely interesting. First, I replaced the sensor connected to the thermostat housing. Then, I found the other either sensor or relay, not exactly sure which one, that was right next to the temp sensor, directly under the distributor, and replaced that. When I got the new one, the stupid thing broke off inside the housing. I had to tear everything down and use an extractor tap to get it out. They replaced the part under warranty. So I finally got that sensor in... still no fans kicking on. And the condition seems to be getting worse. The heater was blowing super hot air and after sitting in traffic, it wasn't cooling down anymore. I played with the relay fuses and switched the power window relay with the cooling fan relay, still no fan. And power windows still worked. Then, I switched the 20 a fuse for the cooling fan with the fuse for one of the headlight fuses. Both headlights still worked but still no cooling fan. I'm getting super frustrated and I'm running out of options. If there is another sensor or if I'm confusing the relay fuse with some other kind of relay switch, please help! I read through the thread posted on this thread and did my best to understand it. That's when I realized about the "temp switch A" and replaced it. I've been to the Honda dealership twice looking at part diagrams.... it was sad... I knew more about the sensors than they did. I've made about 6 or 7 trips to auto zone trying to get the right parts. I'm seriously running out of options here. I've tested fuses, the fans, and replaced every sensor except for the one that reads the temp. I got home and open my hood, antifreeze Goin everywhere from the pressure release valve. If there is something I am missing..... please help.

Comment

Sounds to me like your thermostat has failed. You can check them by boiling them in water on the stove and checking at what temp it opens at with a thermometer. Obviously if it doesn't open up it is faulty. Or if it opens at a temp above 195* F.
          MRT: 1993 Honda Accord SE Coupe (Lola)

Comment

Jump the connector at the thermostat switch. If the fan now comes on with the key in the ON position, them the switch is at fault.

If it doesn't come on, then the problem is either the fan control box, the relay or wiring.

Black Housing DIY 1991 Wagon Morimoto Retrofit
            JDM One-Piece Headlight Lens Repair

Comment

Originally posted by Rilas View Post
              Sounds to me like your thermostat has failed. You can check them by boiling them in water on the stove and checking at what temp it opens at with a thermometer. Obviously if it doesn't open up it is faulty. Or if it opens at a temp above 195* F.
              I'm going to agree with this, fans not coming on shouldn't cause an overheating issue, especially in winter, unless your stuck in stand still traffic for long periods of time. The fans are just there to pull air through the radiator.(feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) If your thermo is stuck closed then it will cause overheating. Also did you ever find where the leak is coming from? I would just replace the thermo and go from there (there like 15 bucks and easy enough to do)

If at first you don't suceed, then skydiving is not for you.

I try not to down talk anyone, when I read my old questions I realize I was an idiot too.

Comment

If you are going to replace the thermostat I would highly recommend spending the little bit extra and get a OEM Honda thermostat.
                MRT: 1993 Honda Accord SE Coupe (Lola)

Comment

Working...
                X