Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

drum to disc conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

drum to disc conversion

my last stroll thru pick n pull yard, i saw two accords with rear discs. the rear disc itself seemed really thin and not as thick as my front disc. it didn't seem right to pull so here i am asking the experts

if i pick the rear set up off it, am i able to buy the required parts to make the rear match the front?

or is it better to pick off a compatible vehicle for the conversion since i don't know what the previous owner picked it off from. and maybe that is why it is in the yard because the brakes didn't work.

what vehicle is preferred to pick from? i have read here a 90-97 accord will work.

Originally posted by ca93accord View Post
    my last stroll thru pick n pull yard, i saw two accords with rear discs. the rear disc itself seemed really thin and not as thick as my front disc. it didn't seem right to pull so here i am asking the experts

if i pick the rear set up off it, am i able to buy the required parts to make the rear match the front?

or is it better to pick off a compatible vehicle for the conversion since i don't know what the previous owner picked it off from. and maybe that is why it is in the yard because the brakes didn't work.

what vehicle is preferred to pick from? i have read here a 90-97 accord will work.
    Good question - I've also wondered about doing this as well. Never thought it would be worth the effort but I wasn't 100&#37; sure of all that would need to be done.

Comment

Originally posted by ca93accord View Post

The parts that are on the donor car in the Pick and Pull are the parts needed to convert the car to a disc set up. Usually that also means pairing the rear components with 40/40 proportioning valve from an non ABS Integra.

The rear disc on almost all Honda vehicles, except the NSX, RL, etc... are solid disc. These are thinner and will not appear to be the same as the front discs which are internally vented. To get a vented set up for the rear you have to go aftermarket or retrofit brakes from a different vehicle such as an NSX or something that has vented rear discs.
      http://www.hondanews.com/releases/19...d-introduction

Comment

The rear brakes are less substantial because almost 2/3 of the weight of the vehicle is on the front and only 1/3 on the rear.

At the very least, you need the entire rear knuckles and parking brakes cables. I believe many will take the entire rear suspension (trailing arms, control arms, cross member, etc) and swap it as an assembly. Unless you can verify that the calipers are working correctly, it would be a good idea to rebuild or replace the calipers and possibly the rear bearings while you're at it. Good opportunity to install new rear shocks as well if they are in need of attention. Make sure the lower control arm adjusting bolts can be freed up before installing the suspension.

Here is a DIY thread: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=10495
        Last edited by Fleetw00d; 11-16-2016, 11:34 PM.
        90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
        08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Thank you againfor all ur knowlwdge. I will be on the lookout foe those mentioned vehicles

Comment

rear disk conversion

If you are gonna do the swap and your car does not come with a factory rear sway bar, do your self a favor and find a donor car with rear disk brakes and a rear crossmember with the mounting brackets for one; as it will give you options for upgrading to a factory, vigor or any other that suits your fancy . I did this swap on my 90 lx along with stainless steel brake lines, front wagon brake upgrade, integra prop valve and prelude master cylinder(it was cheap and i was already doing everything else) but overlooked the rear sway bar and i regret not just having bought everything together. Just take your time and make sure you bleed everything afterwards as i saw a guy forget to do so before.
            Last edited by Crankshaft; 12-05-2016, 02:25 AM.
            [url=https://flic.kr/p/2hFNC7Z]

Comment

Originally posted by black spider View Post
              If you are gonna do the swap and your car does not come with a factory rear sway bar, do your self a favor and find a donor car with rear disk brakes and a rear crossmember with the mounting brackets for one; as it will give you options for upgrading to a factory, vigor or any other that suits your fancy.
              No.

If you are putting on an aftermarket rear sway bar, you do NOT need to change the rear crossmember for one that had a stock sway bar. The aftermarket bars are made to install on ANY 90-93 accord, no matter what trim level.

As for factory/oem upgrades, I am pretty sure you can just drill the holes in the crossmember to bolt the sway bar up to it (same as aftermarket).

Why waste the time and money swapping out the crossmember when you can just drill a couple holes?

Comment

Easy there, bud. Black Spider is right. To install an OEM Honda bar, be it a 15mm '94-'97 Accord EX rear bar or a 16mm '92-'94 Vigor/'97-'99 CL rear bar, you need a subframe with provisions to mount the brackets. The OEM rear sway bars do not mount the rear sway bar in the same position that an aftermarket bar does. A sway bar-compatible subframe has tabs welded onto the back for the bushing mounts to attach to.

You're right about the aftermarket bars, though. Those are designed to install on any rear subframe. However, he said "or any other that suits your fancy", which you assumed to mean aftermarket and not any of the other OEM options that he likely didn't feel like naming off ('95-'98 2.5TL, '96-'98 3.2TL).
                My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

We installed the anti-roll bar off a Vigor on our 91 LX without swapping the rear cross member. So you don't need the crossmember, but that way will certainly work.

We held the whole thing in place and marked the cross member where the mounting bracket holes were. Then we used threat inserts in the holes and bolted it right on. It has lasted for about 5,500 miles of endurance racing. Another option that doesn't require swapping the cross member would be to weld the mounting brackets onto the existing cross member.
                  ==========================
                  1991 Accord Lemons Race Car, "The Minnow" RIP
                  1993 Accord Lemons Race Car, "SpaceEx Starship"
                  Neuspeed Race Springs, Koni Sports, Acura CL Rear Sway Bar,
                  Adj Upper Control Arms -3.0deg front, -2.0 deg rear
                  M2A4 Trans, Cusco 1-way Limited Slip Differential, Stage 2 Clutch and 11lb flywheel. A4 Header, 2" exhaust all the way back, catalyst delete, delta 262 grind, glasspack muffler, PT6 ECU.
                  Acura CL3.0 Brakes Front and Rear, Raybestos St43 Pads, Redline 600 Brake Fluid

Comment

Crossmember

If he is already doing the brake swap the crossmember is an extra 6 bolts and prices are $37 for rear crossmember and $19 for rear sway bar assembly so I really don't see why it would cost anyone more time nor more money to do than an aftermarket. But to each his own, this to me is the easiest way if you are already removing the whole rear suspension but as I stated it is simply my point of view.

Comment

it might now be cheaper to buy a 9293 EX Accord donor car. I've seen some go as low as 300 here in AZ with blown headgaskets. That way, you'll have all the little nuts and bolts you need plus spare parts galore, granted if you have the space.

member's ride thread
                      93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
                      99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
                      91 Accord SE 176k
                      97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Donor car

Problem is that you buy a donor car for parts and end up with two project cars lol at one point we had 9 cars between me and my dad alone.

Comment

Originally posted by Jarrett View Post
                          Easy there, bud. Black Spider is right. To install an OEM Honda bar, be it a 15mm '94-'97 Accord EX rear bar or a 16mm '92-'94 Vigor/'97-'99 CL rear bar, you need a subframe with provisions to mount the brackets. The OEM rear sway bars do not mount the rear sway bar in the same position that an aftermarket bar does. A sway bar-compatible subframe has tabs welded onto the back for the bushing mounts to attach to.

You're right about the aftermarket bars, though. Those are designed to install on any rear subframe. However, he said "or any other that suits your fancy", which you assumed to mean aftermarket and not any of the other OEM options that he likely didn't feel like naming off ('95-'98 2.5TL, '96-'98 3.2TL).
                          FYI, I said that I am pretty sure about the oem upgrade (I NEVER said that my answer was 100&#37; correct).

However:

Originally posted by ukemike View Post
                          We installed the anti-roll bar off a Vigor on our 91 LX without swapping the rear cross member. So you don't need the crossmember, but that way will certainly work.
                          Technically, I'm still right.

Originally posted by black spider View Post
                          If he is already doing the brake swap the crossmember is an extra 6 bolts and prices are $37 for rear crossmember and $19 for rear sway bar assembly so I really don't see why it would cost anyone more time nor more money to do than an aftermarket.
                          Well, first of all, paying for the crossmember and sway bar is an extra cost; even more of an extra cost if he decides to upgrade to an aftermarket sway bar that only requires a couple holes being drilled. It may be small to you, but that could be a lot to someone else. The brake swap can be completed safely without it and is not required. And it does take some time to pull a crossmember and install a new one; it's easy to see that this would add more work (aka take more time).
                          Last edited by oni_cb7; 12-06-2016, 05:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X