Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

bad alt or worse?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bad alt or worse?

hey guys. Long time. 92 EX F22a6. I love this car, but I had an issue the last time I drove it. She ran like a champ the previous night. Next morning I went to leave and she would not rev past 3k or drive faster than 20mph. so I parked the car as I have a few other rides. Well come to this last month, I broke my daily TDI. So time to try and fix the accord. I fired it up, after jumping the system and she ran but was still acting weird. I had a few things to do so i let it run for a bit and she died. Jumped it again and as soon as i disco'd the batt she died. Out comes the alt and test. dead alt. yay me.

Now my question, could this be the source of all my issues?? This should be common sense to me but for the life of me I can figure it out. ideas??

thanks guys.

Meh, don't matter. If you found "the issue" you'd still have a dead ALT. You can disconnect the ALT and with a full battery the car should run in park. Soo if it does this, then get the ALT, see if it fixed the issue. But keep in mind bad wiring could make you think bad ALT. IE: battery is not charging. PS - Usually car only running at 3K is the ECU some mode due to failing whatever, or bad trans ECU. More of a safety thing I believe. So you should have check engine codes.

Best of luck.

Comment

thanks man. my thinking was just a lack of power to the iggy system hence the cutout. i was just looking for a possible 2nd opinion. as for codes, i have no idea how to go about pulling them as i am mainly a VW guy and hondas are a bit out of my comfort zone. give me a dub and i can pretty much fix it with my eyes closed.

Comment

If the alternator had failed, the engine was running off the battery. As the voltage drops, it could certainly affect the ECM and how well the engine was running. If you have a battery charger, charge the battery up then start the car and see if it runs OK. By now, you may have already replaced the alternator. You can read the codes by jumping a blue two socket connector that you can find under the right side of the dash. Jump the connector, then turn the key to "on" (not start). Count the flashes of the check engine light. Long flashes count as ten, short ones as one. All the codes will flash, then start repeating.
        90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
        08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Just got the alt replaced. Can I strangle the engineer that designed the adjuster system on these??

now it wont even start. It'll cough once or twice but wont start. Too cold to keep messing with it tonight.

Yes I have fuel and spark. Already checked those. I may just have to break down and get a new battery for it. The one I have is from '17 I think. Came with the car.

Back to the drawing board for right meow.

Comment

That sounds about the right timeframe for a car battery to give out.
            ~Nick~
            FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
            MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

My thinking exactly. My thoughts are not enough rotation speed to fire properly. Time to hit Costco.

Comment

Ok guys. New (used) alt, new battery, new cables (POS and neg) and a new dizzy and she's running again. Wasn't happy to start as it's been almost 2 years since she ran last but she starts nice and smooth now and revs to the moon again. I found rust in the distributor cap and figured a $70 dizzy from that jungle website would do the trick. And it did. Now to yank the stereo and see why it's not working meow.

Thanks guys for the help and I'll be around.

Oh and Honda engineers should be shot. Why 3 brackets withing 4 inches of each other for the batt cables or putting a starter an inch or so from a mount UNDER a hose that is in the way?? Or the HUGE one piece dash bezel?? Zee Germans made things easy during the 90s I guess.

Comment

Working...
                X