Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hood discoloration after bra remove for cleaning.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hood discoloration after bra remove for cleaning.

Hello guys,
    I just got the hood bra and the bumper bra since this summer. The hood bra was used and in average condition and the bumper bra was brand new. I removed the hood bra every time I clean the car and never seen the discoloration for many months. I use some times Meguiar's protectant for glossy look. But I also used mostly 303 Aerospace Protectant. I apply the bra cleaning stuffs with the bra already on the car.
    The weather has been cold and wet lately with a bit of rain in SoCal. Today was a little cold but very dry and beautiful sunny out. So I decided to clean the car. As the take the hood bra off to remove the debris from below on the hood, I found some darken discoloration just the front part of the hood. I have some pics below to show you guys. Here's what I have done to try to remove it:
    -Clay the area with Meguiar's quick detailer. That did not work.
    -Some clothes washing detergent mixed with water and that did not work.
    -So I just clean the area with water and apply Rejex to keep the clear coat protected until I find another solution.

I would like to know what is the best and easy way to remove it? Polish or what other kind of cleaning could I use?
    I have Meguiar's ultimate compound, squirl X and scratch X. These are some what harsh but I have them.
    Here is what I wonder: What could have caused that to happen? What could I do now to prevent this from happening other than removing the bra completely b/c the freeway are full of debris that chip my hood. I DO NOT have a DA polisher so I have to do every thing by hands.

Thanks. And here's some pics of the discolorations.

Any suggestions?
    Thanks.

Comment

suggestion is dont use a hood bra. this is prone to happening. get creative with plastidip or get one of those elusive hood visors .
      <

(129)Transactions and counting

Comment

Looks like you drove in the rain with the hood bra on...

Good luck!

Comment

It's probably because you leave the bra on when it rains , in the instructions it says when wet to remove and let dry befor re installation or it may make the clear milky . So best bet would be take it off when it gets wet and let it dry of the car, that's what I do and have had 0 problems .

Also the hood visor isn't very elusive it can be had brand new for 65 bucks

Originally posted by Darkcloud
          Wimp go low or go home haha
          Originally posted by cb7_tillidie
          Not a single fuck was given that day.

Comment

^^^ THIS x2

+ anything that ATTRACTS heat ( dark colors ) unevenly on any surface of the car will discolor it.

I placed heavy duty trucker mud flaps on my front and rear windshields to prevent my car cover from flying off during hurricane winds and it moved down to my hood and caused some discoloration but a light 1000-2000 grit + compound did the trick.
            frostwhite225@gmail.com =VENMO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOB38zJu66o

[COLOR="Magenta"]

Comment

Thanks guys. It gets wet b/c of the dew in the morning a lot during the winter, do you guys suggest that I remove the bra all together? Also, is the discoloration from the bra or is it some thing else that caused in in conjunction with the bra? Maybe I just use plastic dip and take the bra off all together.
              Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by xkjnboix View Post
                a light 1000-2000 grit + compound did the trick.
                What kind of compound would you suggest?
                Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by c91bse7 View Post
                  It's probably because you leave the bra on when it rains , in the instructions it says when wet to remove and let dry befor re installation or it may make the clear milky . So best bet would be take it off when it gets wet and let it dry of the car, that's what I do and have had 0 problems
                  This! When I had my hood bra it would do the same thing, but only after it rained. Just make sure you don't leave it on the car after it rains or gets wet. Or quite simply, if you know it's going to rain, don't use it.

Click picture to see my mrt
                  Instagram: sikz6

Comment

I honestly don't understand why people still use these stupid things. You just learned first hand that they ruin your paint. They don't look good and they do more damage than protection.

I get cars on trade at work all the time with these stupid things on them and the paint is always fucked on the hood when I take them off.

I even had a 2004 Nissan Sentra come in, and it had a nose mask on it with a big embossed Nissan logo in it. Yeah. That embossed logo burned right though into the paint on this black car. Took it off and there was a giant Nissan emblem outline on the hood. I had no choice but to leave the bra on that car because it was so damaged.

I had a Mazda B2200 with one. When I took it off, the entire front edge of the hood was rotted away. I had to get a new hood.

Throw that thing in the garbage, or sell it to some kid while they're still a hot trendy item.

If you really want hood and bumper protection, use 3M clear vinyl. It can be pricey, so shop around, but this stuff works, and is the only thing I would recommend to protect your paint. Recently at work we sent out a Mitsubishi Outlander Sport for a full 3M kit. Front bumper, hood edge, front edge of the roof,mirror caps and the rear door edges and it came to about $600 installed.
                    Last edited by crazymikey; 12-26-2012, 10:32 PM.

Comment

Update.

So it rained again yesterday but I worked all day so when I got home, too tire to do any thing. This morning I woke up and remove both the hood and bumper bras. There's no mark on the bumper bra, but only the hood. The hood bra is used and it does have dirt on the inside so I think that is what caused it. Also, the word accord is imprinted on the front of the hood but lightly.
                      So I took the Meguiar's Ultimate compound and hand polished the area but it now has a white hazed area in the whole front part of the hood. I got a few pics to show you guys. I think the clear coat is still real good and wonder what is next that I could do? I got 2000 grits sand paper should I wet sand it?
                      What's the best way to remove the white haze? What usually is the cause of the white haze? Any detailing pros around to give me more advice?
                      Thanks.
                      Here are some pics of today:

Comment

Working...
                      X