Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

noob build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just as a warning, you WILL have slight backfires at idle. This is because the spark plugs are too cold for idle conditions, so the spark plugs get fouled out. You can minimize the backfiring by making a richer mixture at idle, but it won't completely go away. The spark plugs will be fine for the rest of the rev are though.

Read up on reading spark plugs to start getting the hang of what you have to look for.

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

alright cool, i found a thread on pgmfi.org about it so i'll source that down again.

Now I want to make my air inlet to my compressor be a cold air running next to my exit of my intercooler. Just think it would look cool, would I really notice a difference between that and just running a ram air? Don't know if it's anything like on a real car

^^click it or ticket^^

Comment

if i'd be running a 16g, would I want a 3" cat back or stick with the 2.5"?

^^click it or ticket^^

Comment

3" with anything over 200whp.

Comment

So I am currently learning how to read compressor maps and how to calculate which compressor is best for my engine application. Here's how far I got.

I'll be using the MHI Big 16g.

MHIB16g = 550cfm

to figure out my pressure ratio, I used this formula:

14.7+10(desired boost)
            = 1.680pr

Now using the formula below I can figure my motor's cfm:

2.2(engine size)x6000(max rpm)x90(Volumetric Efficiency)x1.680(Pressure Ratio)
            =352.62190 cfm

Now when I plot this on a Big 16g compressor map it looks a little something like this:
            (ignore the red line, it was on the map when I downloaded it)

Notice the orange line is my pressure ratio
            Notice the purple line is my cfm

Now with that information on that graph, the turbo will be between 65% and 68% efficiency at 10 lbs of boost and 6000 rpms. Right?

That's as far as I have gotten. According to another online calculator, using this formula below I found my potential crank horsepower with 10 lbs of boost from this web site:
            http://www.squirrelpf.com/turbocalc/index.php

Here's the formula:

352.62190(cfm)
            =24.710x10= approximately 247.10 crank horsepower.

So from this information, I can only assume that at 10 lbs of boost, with the parameters the calculator permits, my turbo will be 65%-68% efficient, and my engine will produce 247.10 crank horse power.

Correct me if I'm wrong, add if you know what will help me.

Until then I will be researching if 65%-68% is an appropriate efficiency for my type of build of having it be a daily driver with good reliability. Maybe other hybrids, or turbos will be better.
            Last edited by CB7lx91; 12-17-2008, 09:38 PM.

^^click it or ticket^^

Comment

Originally posted by d112crzy View Post

NGK 4554
              NGK 7173
              Josey, both of these plugs are non-resistor types according to www.ngk.com. In fact, all the ones mentioned in this thread with pre-fix R567XX-X are non-resistor type. We should use resistor type plugs in our motors with OBD and other electrical equipment, correct?

Just wondering if you noticed this.
              HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

Ignore whomever told you you're not supposed to run non resistor type plugs in our Hondas. They pose absolutely no issues. I know because I've ran R5671A-6/7/8/11's on Hondas before, the 7/8's on mine and never had a problem. Radio works just fine, which is what most people bitch about for some stupid reason. My datalogs show no weird signs of anything.

Comment

CB91lx.... calcs look good.... esp since more towards the midrange you are nearer the peak of the efficiency plateau. Lookin forward to seeing this build

Originally posted by lordoja
                  im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

Originally posted by d112crzy View Post
                    Ignore whomever told you you're not supposed to run non resistor type plugs in our Hondas. They pose absolutely no issues. I know because I've ran R5671A-6/7/8/11's on Hondas before, the 7/8's on mine and never had a problem. Radio works just fine, which is what most people bitch about for some stupid reason. My datalogs show no weird signs of anything.
                    I'd rather error on the other side, using resistor style as that is what I was recommended for my motor by Bisi and OEM specified as well. I agree with you on tuning and taking spark plug condition into account, definitely important. Been trying to learn as much as possible on that.

www.sparkplugs.com:

Resistor plugs for race engines

It is strongly recommended resistor spark plugs be used in any motor that has on-board computer systems to monitor or control engine performance. Use of a non-resistor plug in certain applications can actually cause the engine to suffer undesirable side effects such as an erratic idle, high-rpm misfire, engine run-on, power drop off at certain rpm levels and abnormal combustion. Resistor plugs are also recommended on any vehicle that has other on-board electronic systems such as, two-way radios, GPS systems, depth finders or whenever recommended by the manufacturer.

If you have an outboard marine CDI (capacitive discharge ignition), (such as Johnson and Evinrude), make sure to use a plug with an inductive type resistor (such as a Champion Q-type or NGK Z-type). Use of non-inductive resistor type plugs on these motors can create an open circuit within the spark plug (it will become a dead plug).

Mallory, MSD, Crane and Accel also produce a high output ignition CDI system, however, these should not be confused with a marine style CDI as mentioned above. For an automotive high output CDI system it is imperative you consult that manufacturer for plug specifications for their system. Some high out put systems specify the use of resistor plugs, while others will fry the internal plug resistor turning its 5k ohms into 60k ohms.

As a rule, performance is in no way impaired by resistor spark plugs. The only exception to this may be some models of high output CDI specify non-resistor plugs.
                    HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

since no one has spoken up about their non-resistor plugs causing iratic idle or loss of power, I'll go with the NGK 4554's for now, and see where it takes me. After all, they aren't that expensive.
                      Last edited by HondaFan81; 12-18-2008, 12:15 AM.

^^click it or ticket^^

Comment

Alright I'm still learning how to read comp maps, and associating turbos, relating it to my specific engine and such.

A couple things I don't understand is where on the map I will be other than the 6000 rpm I inputted. I plugged in 6000 rpm at 10 lbs and saw where it landed me on the map, but how many pounds do i estimate at 3000? 4000? 5000?

I want to create a line curve of my engine on the map to fully see where I stack up against this turbo.

Just for shits, I plugged in the numbers for if I were to run 12 lbs at 6000 rpm. It didn't change the plot on the map too much, I'll include the map below. Using the same formulas as above it estimated a 20 chp increase.

Pressure Ratio = 1.816
                        CFM = 381.167
                        Estimated Crank Horse Power = 267.11

Like i said, I don't know if this would benefit the turbo more or less. It looks like the turbo would actually be more efficient at 12 lbs @ 6000 rpm.
                        Last edited by CB7lx91; 12-17-2008, 09:52 PM.

^^click it or ticket^^

Comment

Last edited by keycb7; 12-19-2008, 02:00 AM.

Comment

Awsuhm man, thanks. So it seems like this terbo iz almost perfect phor my applicashuhn rite? Thats wut I see when I look at it lol, I glanst at uh 14b cumpressher map and lined up my cohwardinants and I was farther left nere thuh line uv deth.

Andy

^^click it or ticket^^

Comment

Originally posted by CB7lx91 View Post
                              Awsuhm man, thanks. So it seems like this terbo iz almost perfect phor my applicashuhn rite? Thats wut I see when I look at it lol, I glanst at uh 14b cumpressher map and lined up my cohwardinants and I was farther left nere thuh line uv deth.

Andy
                              Rite! answer on broken english is still answer, dont like it? Then I won't help you anymore

Comment

just being goofy man, no offense was meant.

^^click it or ticket^^

Comment

Working...
                                X