Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

The "N"tercooler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by T3h HoT!!
    well, i just seen something that caught my attention at some guys shop..they have a sr20 and they are using a water intercoller?? i forget the exact name, but how it werks it's a intercooler and there ice water running threw the fins instead of air, and they said it gave them about 100 hp.so im pretty sure u could just rig up high prassure sparyers on ur intercooler and spray ice water at high speeds.
    I can guarente nitrous is a hell of a lot colder than ice.

water-to-air intercoolers are very different from air-to-air intercoolers

Owner of https://theclunkerjunker.com

Comment

Nitrous is definitely colder, and a much better idea in general. The water would be a lot harder on the material of the intercooler than nitrous. Like someone said during the winter months that would kind of screw you, and more than likely you would just get ice build up on your intercooler which wouldn't be good for it. One of the coldest things around though is liquid nitrogen. I have access to it everyday since I work for the physics department ... hmmmm maybe one of these days I'm gonna have to try that.

Comment

liquid nitrogen! damn i got to see that. talk about cold. probably gett so cold it crack ur intercooler.

Comment

interesting thread, keep it up man.
          Seeing the gains on that golf make me wonder how much power im gettin robbed in the TX heat. Ive been puttin off the heat wrap idea for qutie sometime now, maybe I should invest sooner than i thought...sorry

Formerly 91AccordExR33
          11.68 @ 127mph
          417whp/375wtq
          Sold: 8/2016

Comment

Yeah, I would worry about it having negative effects on the metal. I work in the machine shop for the Physics department though so I can just see what they think about it.

Comment

huh . i dont noe. they have the intercooler inside the car thou.

Comment

Home-bread "N"tercooler research begins...

Comment

Originally posted by 91accordexr33
                  interesting thread, keep it up man.
                  Seeing the gains on that golf make me wonder how much power im gettin robbed in the TX heat. Ive been puttin off the heat wrap idea for qutie sometime now, maybe I should invest sooner than i thought...sorry
                  tx heat is the worst but my friend golf was boostin 19 lbs stock intercooler with arp chip bolt ons and sprayin the thing was all the diff in the world if you live in texas this should be mandatory or something its so hot everyone is robbed from heat soak

Comment

Originally posted by T3h HoT!!
                    huh . i dont noe. they have the intercooler inside the car thou.
                    How the hell could you put the intercooler inside the car? Crack pwns joo..

Comment

wooooaaa! i resent that crack comment buddy!

it really is inside the car. the guy has an ice box inside his car and a pipe connects the intercooler to the ice box some how and it cools the intecooler with ice. im telling u becouse i saw it... i don't exactly remember how it werks but it's true. i'll see if i can find something more about that or if i can maybe take a pik of his car, but it's gonna look mad weird a random guy just walking up to ur drag car and snaping piks of it...

but.. all i noe is that he said it gave then about 100 to 110 hp increase when they dynoed it, they are running 825hp on the sr20det, they dynoed at 720ish hp with a reg intercooler.

Comment

Lol, I'm just playing man ... so not the intercooler itself, but the stuff for cooling it is inside then? Sounds interestering ... I guess you could fit more stuff on the inside, but I just think it would be a bitch to get it from there to the engine bay.

Comment

Yes it's possible to get a big boost from this. Basically all it does is freeze the air at the intercooler which is the principal of the intercooler in the first place to cool the extremely warm air that comes out of the turbo. If you look hard enough you may get lucky and find a 2005 Evo 8 in the junk yards, Performance packages included an intercooler sprayer on the car. Perfect for those straight dsm Honda turbo setups.

Comment

Originally posted by Fearit22
                            How the hell could you put the intercooler inside the car? Crack pwns joo..

Almost every watercooled, turbocharged car that runs the salt flats has the intercooler routed to inside the car.

Comment

Originally posted by 91accordwagon
                              Almost every watercooled, turbocharged car that runs the salt flats has the intercooler routed to inside the car.
                              Yeah, but he said the intercooler itself was inside the car... or at least that is how it came out.

Comment

The "N" tercooler is an idea me and my brother have been throwing around for my cb7 for a while. Last summer ('04) i bought all the shit to make a home made one (10 pound tank, solinoid, arming switch, full throttle switch) and we were just planning on running braided stainless from the bottle and maybe rigging something up with brake line and a T to route it around my intercooler. Only snags i am running into is ofcoarse time to install it, and i have no idea where to get the tank filled. I went to a local sporting goods store bc they do a lot with paint ball and stuff, but they said it was too big for them to fill...any other ideas?
                                My baby laying down some power...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kd_Q8HSIyqA

Comment

Working...
                                X