Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

The "N"tercooler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

go to a performance shop such as ben pilla or a nitrous retailer. im sure you can find a performance shop in yellow pages around where you live. look for shops that deal with domestics alot cuz those guys usually run lots of nitrous

Also one important thing you guys have to remember when talking about dyno numbers and front mount intercooler is the FMIC only works when it has air hitting it at decent speed, it works even better if it has cold air hitting it (running through the fins) at high speed. You do NOT have this at a dyno, the fan they put in front of your car can not substitute for opposing wind outside doing 50-1xx mph so when the intercooler is sprayed with cold gas it obivously drops the intake temperatures alot. In reality when you are at the track or on the highway you do have more power running the fmic then the dyno showed, the intercooler wont be as cold as it can be with nitrous sprayed on it so there is still a gain on the street from this setup but it wont be 30-40 hp!
    Last edited by prodigymb; 10-04-2005, 12:27 PM.
    h23a3 cb7 turbo sold

FS: 1 Piece JDM Headlghts blackhoused

My Members Ride !
    New ride

'07 GTI Mk5 6spd

Comment

Originally posted by prodigymb
      go to a performance shop such as ben pilla or a nitrous retailer. im sure you can find a performance shop in yellow pages around where you live. look for shops that deal with domestics alot cuz those guys usually run lots of nitrous

Also one important thing you guys have to remember when talking about dyno numbers and front mount intercooler is the FMIC only works when it has air hitting it at decent speed, it works even better if it has cold air hitting it (running through the fins) at high speed. You do NOT have this at a dyno, the fan they put in front of your car can not substitute for opposing wind outside doing 50-1xx mph so when the intercooler is sprayed with cold gas it obivously drops the intake temperatures alot. In reality when you are at the track or on the highway you do have more power running the fmic then the dyno showed, the intercooler wont be as cold as it can be with nitrous sprayed on it so there is still a gain on the street from this setup but it wont be 30-40 hp!

^

my guess is it will yeild a noticable difference but not 30-40 on 10psi.

Comment

well in my other post i was refering to a sr20 swapped 240 running stock boost i dont know how much that is though and another supra we did the same experiment on we were only running a bar 14.7 psi roughly and the gains were bigger on the supra thats why i didnt mention it but there is a formula ill try to find which says x amount of air temp drop there is an x amount of horsepower made ill try to find it

Comment

How does this formula work? And why does NX say a turbo honda got 52whp ( ), when i found a vid of a green supra that gained only 72whp with a T88 turbo?

I think its only like 30whp on most turbo hondas.

Comment

yah if there is a formula for this that would be nice. pretty soon i will be experimenting with a homade kit.

Comment

roughly, for every 10 degree loss in air temp there is a 1% gain in power
              Knowledge is power...in EVERY sense of the word

FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" #12

Comment

Ok lets go whipout the thermometer... According to that formula the HP increase cannot be all that high. Also, is that a theoretical formula? Things like air velocity and such would need to be factored in.
                Last edited by KillerCam282; 10-05-2005, 10:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by AsheCb7
                  well in my other post i was refering to a sr20 swapped 240 running stock boost i dont know how much that is though and another supra we did the same experiment on we were only running a bar 14.7 psi roughly and the gains were bigger on the supra thats why i didnt mention it but there is a formula ill try to find which says x amount of air temp drop there is an x amount of horsepower made ill try to find it
                  stock sr20det there is one that runs 6 psi, one that runs 9 psi and i think some of the newer ones have a wastegate set to 12.
                  h23a3 cb7 turbo sold

My Members Ride !
                  New ride

'07 GTI Mk5 6spd

Comment

the formula is just a rule of thumbs. Too many factors to say if this is that then it must equal. Not to mention your talking about a 4 cyl and a 6 cyl.
                    Knowledge is power...in EVERY sense of the word

FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" #12

Comment

Originally posted by midnite racer x
                      the formula is just a rule of thumbs. Too many factors to say if this is that then it must equal. Not to mention your talking about a 4 cyl and a 6 cyl.
                      My point exactly. If a 6 cylinder only got 78whp out of it, we should be assed out, IMO.

Comment

I also saw a rx7 get 52 whp out of it. The rotary engine is a lot smaller than ours ... I know it's set up differently, but still it would help a decent amount.

Comment

Originally posted by Fearit22
                          I also saw a rx7 get 52 whp out of it. The rotary engine is a lot smaller than ours ... I know it's set up differently, but still it would help a decent amount.
                          That rotory is alot like a 2.6 4 cylinder engine so i heard. Not really an exact comparison. Its close tho.

Comment

That's funny seeing as how that's exactly twice the displacement of it. You can't compare it to a piston driven engine like that. There is less resistance because of the rotary motion so it has a lot more potential per liter than anything else. I'm just saying it is a really small displacement engine and it made nearly as much of a gain as the 6 cylinder Supra ... so I think it's ignorant to rule out making decent gains on a 4 cylinder. There are too many factors to say our lack of displacement means it is worthless for us. It really depends more on how much power you are making. A Supra may get more because it makes 400 whp or something, but if we are making 250 we should still get a reasonably proportioned gain. I know there is too much going on to come close to make an exact science out of it. The most important thing like with almost all other mods is not your displacement, but the power you are already making .. everything is about percentage gains based on that.

Comment

That "ignorant" comparison is actually a standard comparison in the Rotary world. Truth is you cannot directly compare a rotary to a piston motor. Saying that is a small displacement motor is misleading because it makes Honda motors like the B16 are bigger. With your original comparison, you made it out that a Honda motor can gain as much or more hp than an RX-7 on the same mod, which is ridiculous. If you want to throw around the word ignorant, place it on that. The RX-7 rotary respond to mods like a large 4 cylinder. Ever seen a torque monster RX-7? If so, it had more than 2 rotors in it.

As far as the expected gains...wouldn't CFM be HUGE part of the expected gains? There is no exact science to it which I believe too. My original question was is this a mod worth perfoming. It debuted in 2F2F, so i was pretty skeptical. At the website it also says a turbo Honda got 52hp form that mod...but on what TURBO or CFM? It would be a worthless mod if that was on a T4 vs a 14b, or 16g wouldn't it...

Comment

Originally posted by AcclipseH23
                                That "ignorant" comparison is actually a standard comparison in the Rotary world. Truth is you cannot directly compare a rotary to a piston motor. Saying that is a small displacement motor is misleading because it makes Honda motors like the B16 are bigger. With your original comparison, you made it out that a Honda motor can gain as much or more hp than an RX-7 on the same mod, which is ridiculous. If you want to throw around the word ignorant, place it on that. The RX-7 rotary respond to mods like a large 4 cylinder. Ever seen a torque monster RX-7? If so, it had more than 2 rotors in it.

As far as the expected gains...wouldn't CFM be HUGE part of the expected gains? There is no exact science to it which I believe too. My original question was is this a mod worth perfoming. It debuted in 2F2F, so i was pretty skeptical. At the website it also says a turbo Honda got 52hp form that mod...but on what TURBO or CFM? It would be a worthless mod if that was on a T4 vs a 14b, or 16g wouldn't it...
                                i think we will still get nice gains with our turbo setups but iwouldnt expect 40 hp lol and like i said earlier dyno doesnt do fmic justice guys.
                                h23a3 cb7 turbo sold

My Members Ride !
                                New ride

'07 GTI Mk5 6spd

Comment

Working...
                                X