Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

The "N"tercooler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

im not sure but im guesing around mid 20s in whp average cause there are other things that will effect it like outside temp, turbo trim, etc.... hopefully i will find out soon all i need now is time to make it.

Comment

Originally posted by AcclipseH23
      That "ignorant" comparison is actually a standard comparison in the Rotary world. Truth is you cannot directly compare a rotary to a piston motor. Saying that is a small displacement motor is misleading because it makes Honda motors like the B16 are bigger. With your original comparison, you made it out that a Honda motor can gain as much or more hp than an RX-7 on the same mod, which is ridiculous. If you want to throw around the word ignorant, place it on that. The RX-7 rotary respond to mods like a large 4 cylinder. Ever seen a torque monster RX-7? If so, it had more than 2 rotors in it.

As far as the expected gains...wouldn't CFM be HUGE part of the expected gains? There is no exact science to it which I believe too. My original question was is this a mod worth perfoming. It debuted in 2F2F, so i was pretty skeptical. At the website it also says a turbo Honda got 52hp form that mod...but on what TURBO or CFM? It would be a worthless mod if that was on a T4 vs a 14b, or 16g wouldn't it...

I don't think you understood my post at all. I've been interested in rotaries for the pas 5+ years, and I have never once heard that comparison. Yes, a Honda motor could gain as much as a rotary ... maybe if the rotary was stock and the Honda motor was making 500 hp. I was just saying it depends on how much horsepower you are making. Obviously, cfm's would play a huge part on it because they have a huge impact on how much horsepower you are making which is exactly what I said is the most important thing. Not your displacement, but how much power you are making. So I was answering your original question by saying that it is completely ignorant to say it's worthless on a Honda. Yes, there are factors to take into account, but on higher horsepower, higher boost Honda's it would be worth while because it doesn't matter what your displacement is.

Comment

most informative arguement in awhile
        Knowledge is power...in EVERY sense of the word

FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" #12

Comment

Originally posted by Fearit22
          I don't think you understood my post at all. I've been interested in rotaries for the pas 5+ years, and I have never once heard that comparison. Yes, a Honda motor could gain as much as a rotary ... maybe if the rotary was stock and the Honda motor was making 500 hp. I was just saying it depends on how much horsepower you are making. Obviously, cfm's would play a huge part on it because they have a huge impact on how much horsepower you are making which is exactly what I said is the most important thing. Not your displacement, but how much power you are making. So I was answering your original question by saying that it is completely ignorant to say it's worthless on a Honda. Yes, there are factors to take into account, but on higher horsepower, higher boost Honda's it would be worth while because it doesn't matter what your displacement is.
          Its an old comparison my uncle taught me a while back. I am sure they still say that porting the engine is like getting cams for a piston motor. Like I said before, pistons to rotors are apples to oranges. To say the HP gain is universal is not necessarily true. I believe the HP has part to do with it, however the overall design of the engine cannot be ignored in this calculation.

Lets do a more reasonable comparison, like a B16A, and a K20a which both make 160hp. Its known that a K-series head will outflow a ported B-series head. Therefore, with comparable mods, the K series will see bigger gains thanks to its increased flow capacity. Cooling down the air charge makes the molecules much more dense. Therefore, more O2 is crammed into the combustion chamber, thus the increase of HP.

My theory is that yes, this "N"tercooler will provide massive gains, but mods that increase the flow capacity would be recommended to bring out its true potential.

Comment

Yeah, well see that's what I'm saying. Since this is such a vague thing though I am just trying to generalize it more by saying that it's the horsepower that matters. Obviously, the flow it what really effects the horsepower, but there are other little things too. The k20 has better flow and more displacement, but it's really toned down compared to the b16 so it will definitely respond better to mods due to being "bottled up" so to speak. In that area I think we are just saying the same thing in different words. I agree with it being increasingly more effective depending on how much you make. I think if it were on a stock d16 running 8 psi or something like that it would be basically worthless, but the real question at hand is going to be whether or not it is worthless on f22's running 10 psi....since I'm poor and school occupies all my time I don't see my self being able to answer that until next summer so hopefully someone will beat me to it. I have my money on it being a worth while modification... especially if someone can fab up some homemade stuff like we do with the turbos. If I had the time I would jump on that right now.
            Last edited by Fearit22; 10-06-2005, 09:22 PM.

Comment

Also, about the RX-7 thing...the reason why in "piston terms" it would be a 2.6 4 cylinder is because there are only 2 rotors...performing the 4 stroke cycle. For pthme to be comparable, the rotary would need 2 extra combustion chambers. This is the reason why the displacement on the RX-7 rotary is incorrect by default. So to make the two types of engines comparable someone came up with that "formula".
              Last edited by KillerCam282; 10-08-2005, 06:15 AM.

Comment

well the formula i had doesnt make sense since its written on a peice of paper with a million other formulas but it had a lot to do with cfm and tempature ill try sorting it out i forgot to do this earlier and by the way i know everyone is gung ho bout HP but wait till someone post a dyno on the sprayed FMIC and youll see the TRQ now thats where its at unbeleivable trq almost 70 wtrq on the sr20 we tested and thats were alot of cool air coming in the chambers shows up ok good night im sleeping

Comment

thought i would just tell you guys that as of tmr i will be complete with my hm fogger! tested tonite and works great! will take some pics tmr then the fun part of tunning it will begin!

Comment

Originally posted by Backfire32
                    thought i would just tell you guys that as of tmr i will be complete with my hm fogger! tested tonite and works great! will take some pics tmr then the fun part of tunning it will begin!
                    Pics of ban. IP ban.

Comment

just a little teaser! tmr it should be mounted to the ic! teseted it tonite and it was very succesfull, o and that zex kit made its way back into my possession for only 250! sicne the dude with a probe that bought it from me kinda messed his ride up. worked out for me!

http://www.onlineshowoff.com/photovi...&photoid=43805

Comment

Originally posted by Backfire32
                        just a little teaser! tmr it should be mounted to the ic! teseted it tonite and it was very succesfull, o and that zex kit made its way back into my possession for only 250! sicne the dude with a probe that bought it from me kinda messed his ride up. worked out for me!

http://www.onlineshowoff.com/photovi...&photoid=43805
                        Thats hot. No ban. Just more pics please.

Comment

looks sweet
                          h23a3 cb7 turbo sold

FS: 1 Piece JDM Headlghts blackhoused

My Members Ride !
                          New ride

'07 GTI Mk5 6spd

Comment

http://www.onlineshowoff.com/album.a...99&car_id=4676

Here u go! Tunning will begin when i get my supension setup done.

The fogger itself is made of a piece of brake line that i bent around a food can, then got the right fittings "3an" then pluged the other side. i drilled holes in the center of the curves and a hole in the center of the straight parts.

didn't cool it the intercooler down and ran the car on it by just gettin on the gas and then turning the nos on and it did start to lean out my afr's! looks like its going to take awhile to get it tunned to perfection but its obvioulsy wanting more fuel when it starts to spray. Just like other fogger kits it does form little ice crystals on the intercooler.
                            Last edited by Backfire32; 10-28-2005, 02:21 PM.

Comment

nice i was going to do this but my engine took a dump lol so now i gotta fix it and then move on to this i was gonna do some dyno runs with it too.
                              h23a3 cb7 turbo sold

FS: 1 Piece JDM Headlghts blackhoused

My Members Ride !
                              New ride

'07 GTI Mk5 6spd

Comment

Hmmm ... looks kinda ghetto. As long as it works good though that's all that matters really. I want to see some dyno numbers.

Comment

Working...
                                X