Hydrogen instead of air

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hydrogen instead of air

If you have bought any tires at Costco lately then chances are you have nitrogen in your tires. I guess it doesn't lose pressure as fast as air does because of the tighter molecules or something like that.

My question is this, is it OK to mix air with them? Or am I supposed to take them back to Costco or a place with hydrogen when I need more pressure?
    Last edited by accordme93; 06-15-2006, 06:52 PM.
    "the J32a2 should be considered one of Honda's masterpieces..." Honda Tuning, July 2006

They have hydrogen tires.....Thats not good....Have fun when you have a blow out. I think they use another type of gas but not hydrogen. Its too damn explosive and tires generate heat like a mofo.

The New-ish Ride
    My old Ride
    Hear my Vtak!!!
    MK3 Member #3
    I piss off people for fun.
    IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

i know nascar uses nitrogen..

Owner of https://theclunkerjunker.com

Comment

LMAO! I meant Nitrogen! Yeah I failed Chemistry...

i gots da new Hindenburg aqua treads! they rawk!
        "the J32a2 should be considered one of Honda's masterpieces..." Honda Tuning, July 2006

Comment

Nitrogen is more inert than air...hence why bio processes use Nitrogen blankets. It also doesn't have any water molecules in it, which prevents corrosion on the insides of your wheels and such. It also doesn't expand and contract as much. Overall, its a good idea.

Comment

Originally posted by AccordWarrior
            It also doesn't have any water molecules in it,............... It also doesn't expand and contract as much. Overall, its a good idea.
            Thats why NASCAR uses it

Owner of https://theclunkerjunker.com

Comment

It is also used in airplane tires due to the extreme temperature extremes...

Nitrogen:

http://chemistry.about.com/library/bln.htm

Oxygen:

http://chemistry.about.com/library/blo.htm
              The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

Air is 70% Nitrogen...I don't think getting that extra 30% would make much of a difference on the road.

Originally posted by lordoja
                im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

100% nitrogen is better, but not worth paying any extra money for.
                  Mixing air with them is fine, for the reason in the above post.

My swap thread
                  Main relay proplems?--DIY

Comment

Originally posted by gloryaccordy
                    Air is 70% Nitrogen...I don't think getting that extra 30% would make much of a difference on the road.
                    it's not about the nitrogen content that's important..it's about the moisture content.

air has moisture content based on humidity...and it could get pretty high as we all know

pure nitrogen doesn't have moisture content obviously

less moisture, less expansion, smaller increase in psi as tires get hotter

important for a daily driver? no

important for autox? no...unless you really want to

racing? well..if you're smart enough to build a proper race car you're smarter than me so you know the answer already lol.
                    For Sale:
                    itr mid pipe = $80 + shiping
                    tr injen sri $80 + shipping

(2) Eibach ERS 600x2.5x600 = $80shipped in US

Comment

Originally posted by accordme93
                      My question is this, is it OK to mix air with them?
                      normal air would already be mixed in with the gas.

when you mount a tire, normal air is inside. they would have to use a vacuum pump to get all the normal air out, then put in the nitrogen, and i doubt they do that. later.
                      Avoiding dirt at all costs

Comment

Actually, I think water vapor has a pretty high heat capacity compared to natural gases, so if anything a little moisture would be beneficial to a tire's performance. But this is all off speculation and assumptions that .2% of the mass of the air in a tire would make any difference.

Originally posted by lordoja
                        im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

typeG is right. they would have to suck out the ambient air which would be pretty damn hard unless u were in a big nitrogen tank mounting tires on rims. i highly doubt anyone has 100% nitrogen in their tires.

Comment

Originally posted by TypeG
                            normal air would already be mixed in with the gas.

when you mount a tire, normal air is inside. they would have to use a vacuum pump to get all the normal air out, then put in the nitrogen, and i doubt they do that. later.
                            For Sale:
                            itr mid pipe = $80 + shiping
                            tr injen sri $80 + shipping

(2) Eibach ERS 600x2.5x600 = $80shipped in US

Comment

Working...
                            X