Do those rock guard things really work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do those rock guard things really work?

I'm freakin pissed off. 6 months ago I put a brand new windshield on my Coupe only to fiind out tonight that its got a chip that spiderwebbed into a 5" long slit right in the center of my windshield.

Do those plastic curved looking things put at the end of the hood help prevent this from happening? That new windshield cost about 185 bucks and now its cracked. Can't fix it anymore so now my only option is to buy a new one. I want to help prevent this from happening so soon again.

Previous one lasted 8 yrs! I mean wtf. Should I look into certain brands of windshields? I've got a Pilkington one on there now, same as the old one yet this one went to shit already. So pissed off

member's ride thread
    93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
    99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
    91 Accord SE 176k
    97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Is it your driving habits? Do you do a lot of highway driving around trucks?

Try to avoid anything that drops/kicks up gravel or debris.

Not sure about windshield companies.

Maybe try a fix it company?

Comment

Originally posted by Ralphie View Post
      Is it your driving habits? Do you do a lot of highway driving around trucks?

Try to avoid anything that drops/kicks up gravel or debris.

Not sure about windshield companies.

Maybe try a fix it company?
      well the company i bought the glass from says they do lifetime chip repairs but I didn't notice it until tonight when I went to this car show and my car was under some pretty bright lights. Its at the top of the window where I have my tint strip, so thats why i couldn't see it very well.

But basically a rock had chipped it and now its 5" straight slit. You still think they could fix that? I can feel the slit with my finger. Its definitely cracked.

member's ride thread
      91 Accord SE 176k

Comment

Will they not warranty the work?
        My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Originally posted by Jarrett View Post
          Will they not warranty the work?
          yeah there's a warranty but only a "lifetime workmanship warranty" whatever that is

member's ride thread
          91 Accord SE 176k

Comment

Originally posted by Losiracer2 View Post
            yeah there's a warranty but only a "lifetime workmanship warranty" whatever that is
            That would cover things that might go wrong because of installation; for example a leak because they didn't apply the adhesive properly or completely. They have no control over what hits your windshield.
            90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
            08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

rock guard? or bug guard?

i just never heard it called "rock guard."
              RIP 4/23/12...lets not forget, the 88" Z31 turbo, are my dailys

Comment

Do you have any pictures you can post up? Our cb's are old. Rust can happen underneath and be naked to the visible eye. As someone mentioned earlier, if it is not sealed correctly, it can cause a crack, if there is rust, corrosion, moisture, all this can cause a windshield to crack. Is there an actual chip (usually star shaped) and then cracked from there, or is it just stretching out from the side on the glass?
                Everyday is one day closer to completing my cb7 <3

Comment

Working...
                X