Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

overheating problem

93accord h22
    ok so the other day i was over at nightwolf house and my girl has in the cb with the cb on with ac on. anyways when i was backing out of his driveway i notice my CEL on than also notice my temp gauge was on hot so i pull up his drive way and my cb started smoking like if i had busted a coolant line so i open my hood and it was the reservoir that got overfill and it was pouring out. i check the CEL and it was code 14 which is IACV which was weird as hell do to the fact that i don't have coolant going to it and it was plug in. so i reset the ecu and i didn't get a code again we filled the radiator with more coolant and car ran fine. nightwolf believe it could be a head gasket (im hoping its not) leaking inside the block but i see not coolant in the oil and the car does not stutters so it cant be leaking into the cylinder/or combustion chamber it been it been like 5 days with out a problem but im noticing that my cooling fans turn on one after the other and not at the same time im also noticing that the upper and lower radiator tubes have no pressure like for ex. i went for a rough ride on the highway to to see if it builds up pressure on the tubes but when i get home there's no pressure and can easily squeeze the tube (yes they are hot ) i can even open the radiator cap with no problem.

i cant seem to figure this out at all car hasnt overheated since that day and havent notice the cb running any different

what could did be
    Last edited by pupildel; 10-02-2013, 08:25 PM.

My only thought would be that the thermostat did not open, causing the hot coolant to move to the overflow tank. Rather than driving it, let it idle again to try and re-create the problem. Driving it will naturally help cool the engine, so may be more difficult to troubleshoot. Also, if it was idling and the a/c was on, the fans should have been running. Double check that your fans turn on when you hit the a/c button. One fan turns on when the thermostat opens, and both fans turn on when the a/c button is pushed.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...=1#post1823428

My Custom BB6 Dash Swap Thread

Comment

Originally posted by wherm View Post
      My only thought would be that the thermostat did not open, causing the hot coolant to move to the overflow tank. Rather than driving it, let it idle again to try and re-create the problem. Driving it will naturally help cool the engine, so may be more difficult to troubleshoot. Also, if it was idling and the a/c was on, the fans should have been running. Double check that your fans turn on when you hit the a/c button. One fan turns on when the thermostat opens, and both fans turn on when the a/c button is pushed.
      i try re creating the problem the day after and nothing happen car idle fine with no problem.....and yea while idling and AC on both fan do turn on. what i ment by one turning on than the other. is with the cb park at idle AC off. the ac fan would turn on first then like a minute or two later the cooling fan turns on which i think i weird because i have never seeing that my fan always turn on together never one after the other

Comment

How old is your radiator cap? If you don't know, its time to buy a new one. It would also explain why your hoses have no pressure, and why your overflow bottle overflowed.

EDIT: Want to know more about how our cooling system works, the importance of anti-freeze, the boiling point, thermal transfer, and pressure and how they all come together for a cooling system... then review this post I made in the past: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...95#post3159095
        Last edited by cloudasc; 10-03-2013, 04:08 PM.
        PT3/6 Development Thread | My 1991 LX Coupe | DIY: 90-93 Tcu Fix

Comment

Id say it's your fan switch at the t stat housing is bad.
          The beginning of a new era............................
          165 hp 149 ft. lb. torque sohc non vtec. then....
          184 whp and 149 ft. lb. torque f20b stock now......

Comment

Originally posted by cloudasc View Post
            How old is your radiator cap? If you don't know, its time to buy a new one. It would also explain why your hoses have no pressure, and why your overflow bottle overflowed.

EDIT: Want to know more about how our cooling system works, the importance of anti-freeze, the boiling point, thermal transfer, and pressure and how they all come together for a cooling system... then review this post I made in the past: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...95#post3159095
            good info

Comment

Working...
            X