Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Check Engine Light on When Key is Out?

WTF????

Having some weird electrical issues with my cb9.
    No start issue. Clicking coming from under hood AND under dash.
    Main relay? I pull the key from the ignition, and the check engine light stays on.
    The battery light stays on also. WEAK, but still on while key is OUT of the ignition.

WTF is up with this *(^&P*(^% ug!

My CB9/Wagon Thread Start to Finish:
    http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ighlight=wagon

How's your battery voltage?

Comment

Unplug your ecu, the light should go out.

Your ecu is actually the only thing that can turn the cel on in a manual CB.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Ignition switch? Others, including myself, have had somewhat the opposite problem - the car will start, but die as soon as you let the key return to the "On" position. Holding the key just above "On", but not high enough to engage the starter will allow the car to continue running. If you jiggle the key some, or turn it counterclockwise firmly, before taking it out, will the lights go out?
        90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
        08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Originally posted by fleetw00d View Post
          Ignition switch? Others, including myself, have had somewhat the opposite problem - the car will start, but die as soon as you let the key return to the "On" position. Holding the key just above "On", but not high enough to engage the starter will allow the car to continue running. If you jiggle the key some, or turn it counterclockwise firmly, before taking it out, will the lights go out?
          My first thought as well.
          ......father in law has it back again. Time to shine

Comment

Originally posted by sonikaccord View Post
            Unplug your ecu, the light should go out.

Your ecu is actually the only thing that can turn the cel on in a manual CB.
            Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the ecu also control to some extent the charge light?

Might be the ecu, especially if unplugging it turns off the cel. Otherwise, check battery voltage and do a visual inspection of every wiring harness you can see for damage.

Comment

How would unplugging the ECU determine that the ECU is bad if it controls the light?

Of course it will go out no?

I don't get how that equates to a bad ECU but maybe I am missing something?

Definitely a fault somewhere. I agree with Bill, check all the harnesses.

Comment

It wouldn't determine if the ECU is bad. I highly doubt that his is bad. it doesn't determine anything by itself but it does eliminate one possible thing.

I forget what controls the charge light. It may be the ECU as well.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Heyyy, thanks all you guys for chiming in.

I've had this problem since the accord was purchased, BUT, only in the summer,
                  and only when it's hot. Damn thing is, it never duplicated itself when it was being looked at.
                  I've always figured it had to be the main relay. The "problem" I refer to, is a hot day, no start ..
                  The issue in the OP, happened a day before I posted it. Funny thing is, I was cruising down my street,
                  2nd gear, low rpm, like 10 mph maybe, and the dash lights went NUTS!

My temp gauge went straight to MAX, and all of a sudden it just died.
                  Cranked it back up just to back it up in the driveway, and a day later I went to put the key in,
                  crank it on, and nothing but clicking coming from helllll under the dash, under the hood! WTF?
                  AND, the car wouldn't start of course, BUT, the temp gauge was maxed out. oiii!

I got a guy that fixed it for me. (I hate wires) It had something to do with the ground to the main relay? Said he added ANOTHER ground to it and .. ug!

$300 later .. I'm on the road again.

Thanks again for your help ..

My CB9/Wagon Thread Start to Finish:
                  http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ighlight=wagon

Comment

Working...
                  X