Big Brake upgrade w/ keeping 4 lug HOR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big Brake upgrade w/ keeping 4 lug HOR

OK. I've been reading for weeks and need some help on clarification here as the topic can get pretty confusing. There's a lot of forums regarding the topic of course:

- Ultimate OEM Brake upgrade
    - Nice page i found

Read many others as well. But keeping in mind I'm going to keep HOR and 4-lug, I think my only option here for the largest rotor possible is the prelude or Acura CL setup?

4th gen Prelude Si 4WS setup
    93 Prelude VTEC 11.1" Rotors
    94 Legend GS 2-piston Calipers
    93 Prelude VTEC 23T Caliper Brackets
    93 Prelude VTEC 1" Master Cylinder

or

4th gen
    99 Acura CL 2.3 Hubs
    99 Acura CL 2.3 Rotors
    99 Acura CL 2.3 Bearings
    91 Accord Calipers
    91 Accord Pads

or

98-99 CL 2.3 Hubs
    CB7 wheel bearings
    91-95 Acura Legend coupe dual piston calipers
    96 VTEC Prelude caliper rotors (size?)

I think all other setups are for 5-lug. There were some crazy setups like having 91-96 NSX calipers but I believe they were 5 lug too.

thanks
    Last edited by Raf99; 10-26-2020, 04:48 PM.

You can run NA1 NSX calipers on the 11 inch 4 lug set ups. The original NSX (91-96) had 11 inch front rotors also. It would be a dual piston setup also, but not inverted like the Legend caliper. The NSX calipers likely cost 2 arms and 2 legs however...In theory the cheaper option to keep the correct caliper orientation and have dual pistons would be the UK Accord Type R calipers, some of the UK Ebay vendors will post worldwide for low shipping costs.
    http://www.hondanews.com/releases/19...d-introduction

Comment

Originally posted by SSMAccord View Post
      You can run NA1 NSX calipers on the 11 inch 4 lug set ups. The original NSX (91-96) had 11 inch front rotors also. It would be a dual piston setup also, but not inverted like the Legend caliper. The NSX calipers likely cost 2 arms and 2 legs however...In theory the cheaper option to keep the correct caliper orientation and have dual pistons would be the UK Accord Type R calipers, some of the UK Ebay vendors will post worldwide for low shipping costs.
      Ya, so while I'm willing to spend some $, spending $2000 on NSX calipers (or $1000 used) may be hard to to. I knew this was an option but can one even find these things.........? like does Rock Auto have them?

Comment

Yeah those are unlikely to pop up in the normal places. The eBay listings are pricey for NSX units.

It also seems that another cheaper dual piston caliper that doesn’t need to be mounted upside down are 2008-2011 CRV calipers. Some salvage yard research/engineering might be needed to see if the calipers/brackets match. But it is a Nissin caliper and likely uses the same caliper to bracket mounting locations.

Comment

Just curious. Why would you want to perform all that work and not convert to ROH?

Comment

Because I love my wheels. & the cost of doing all calipers, rotors, hubs, etc. is astronomical and I don't really need all that just for a 5-lug wheel. If I can get away with a prelude 4 lug 11.1" rotor and caliper I'll just do that.
            & I'm in eastern Canada where parts are really hard to find. heck, the disc brake setup I installed 10 years ago I had to get from the US.

Comment

I was actually interested in trying to upgrade to RL Brembos while retaining 4 lug as I'm also quite attached to my wheels. I currently have the Prelude VTEC rotors, the Legend GS dual piston calipers with the 23T brackets, but I'm using the 2.3CL hubs and converted to ROH. If you're intent on staying HOR, you could go with wagon rotors and the same Legend calipers with the correct bracket? Keep in mind that the bleeding procedure for the GS dual piston calipers is a bit odd if they're installed with the pistons in the correct orientation.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike1357 View Post
                I was actually interested in trying to upgrade to RL Brembos while retaining 4 lug as I'm also quite attached to my wheels. I currently have the Prelude VTEC rotors, the Legend GS dual piston calipers with the 23T brackets, but I'm using the 2.3CL hubs and converted to ROH. If you're intent on staying HOR, you could go with wagon rotors and the same Legend calipers with the correct bracket? Keep in mind that the bleeding procedure for the GS dual piston calipers is a bit odd if they're installed with the pistons in the correct orientation.
                Such a confusing topic. I thought when using Legend GS dual piston calipers you could retain all OEM setup (4-lug). Ya, I'm aware of the up-side down bleeding.
                & what's the size of the cb7 wagon rotor? But I think you can't go dual piston caliper when you go with this setup too.

As of right now I'm looking at Acura RL calipers + FFC caliper bracket and just keeping the HOR setup. I think......... that's how I can do it. Topic = way too confusing.

Edit:

& as mentioned on this thread:

"Okay to add to this thread, here is an easy upgrade:

91-93 Wagon front rotors
                91-93 Front brake calipers w/ brackets (These are the same as Vigor)
                91-93 Brake pads

That's it. Simple and very effective."

Can't I just order these parts from rock auto? Let's see.....

Wagon caliper - yep - https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...b,caliper,1704
                wagon front caliper bracket - yep - https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...r+bracket,1714
                wagon rotor - yep - https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...hub,rotor,1896

details on the rotor - https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...7218&jsn=10865
                Discard Thickness (IN) 0.91
                Discard Thickness (MM) 23
                Nominal Thickness (in) 0.98
                Nominal Thickness (mm) 25
                Bolt Circle Diameter (MM) 114.3
                Bolt Circle Diameter (IN) 4.5
                Disc Finish Non-Directional
                Construction Full Cast
                Slotted No
                Bolt Hole Quantity 4
                Outside Diameter (in) 11.10
                Outside Diameter (mm) 282 = 11.1"
                ABS Sensor Ring Included No
                Solid Or Vented Type Rotor Vented
                Bolt Size (MM) M10 x 1.25
                Center Bore Diameter (IN) 3.62
                Center Bore Diameter (MM) 92
                Cross Drilled No

And obviously can get all of these parts and would have 11.1" front brakes but wouldn't have dual piston calipers. I think i'm correct here. Makes me wonder if I can use the Acura RL caliper with these rotors? Would imply the 05-06 350Z rotors are... larger. Ug. I like the RL calipers, but does that mean I have to ONLY change the caliper brackets and use some form of larger rotor?
                Last edited by Raf99; 11-11-2020, 10:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by underPSI View Post
                  Just curious. Why would you want to perform all that work and not convert to ROH?
                  thinking your right here. No need to get a knuckle etc, and my upgrade options will be expanded. Only need to do the fronts. Technically I can keep everything the same if I wanted and convert to ROH. Just need to get ...

'98-'99 Acura 2.3CL ------------------------------------------------------ front hubs
                  '90-'97 Accord, '97-'99 2.2/2.3CL --------------------------------------------- front wheel bearings
                  '92-'96 Prelude S/Si non-VTEC, '98-'99 2.3CL, '98-'02 Accord 4-cylinder --------front rotors (have)

Comment

I think if you went with the CL hubs and the RL kit you could use the Nissan rotors, you would have to have them redrilled of course. You should be able to use the wagon rotors with the Legend calipers/brackets. The wagon rotors and the Legend rotors share common diameters.

Comment

I think if you went with the CL hubs and the RL kit you could use the Nissan rotors, you would have to have them redrilled of course. You should be able to use the wagon rotors with the Legend calipers/brackets. The wagon rotors and the Legend rotors share common diameters.
                      Yep, i agree with that.

Comment

You should be able to use the dual piston GS calipers with HOR no issues, I just happened to go that direction with mine. The only thing you really have to consider is just using the right caliper bracket regardless of the rotor size or hub style as far as I'm aware.

As far as my personal project is concerned, I just need to get some 350Z brembo rotors and have them redrilled? I know a place I can get some used rotors for experimentation.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike1357 View Post
                          You should be able to use the dual piston GS calipers with HOR no issues, I just happened to go that direction with mine. The only thing you really have to consider is just using the right caliper bracket regardless of the rotor size or hub style as far as I'm aware.

As far as my personal project is concerned, I just need to get some 350Z brembo rotors and have them redrilled? I know a place I can get some used rotors for experimentation.
                          I didn't think you had to re-drill the 350z rotors. But between bleeding calipers upside-down and drilling rotors, I won't be going the GS caliper route. Appreciate the input though. Now I'm going to assume if i buy the parts to do ROH i can still stick to my plan of using RL calipers with FFC caliper bracket.

Comment

I think if you go RL and don’t go 5 lug you have to redrill, unless there is a caliper bracket that allows the RL caliper to work with the 11.1 rotor or a 12”+ 4-lug rotor. All of the RL kits I’ve seen use 5 lug 12.6” or 12.8” Nissan brake rotor.

Comment

I think if you go RL and don’t go 5 lug you have to redrill, unless there is a caliper bracket that allows the RL caliper to work with the 11.1 rotor or a 12”+ 4-lug rotor. All of the RL kits I’ve seen use 5 lug 12.6” or 12.8” Nissan brake rotor.
                              Ya, even with the Fat Four Customs caliper bracket? (man, I wish this site had a chat room/window)

Comment

Working...
                              X