• Show
Clear All

Passenger side hi-beam not working

Well. Open for suggestions....

Passenger side hi-beam does not work
    - Use to work just fine
    - Getting no volts on wire
    - Bulb /headlamp works if voltage supplied
    - Getting 12V on fuse #37 at fuse box but not 12V to wire coming out of fuse box
    - Resistance of wire to fuse box is good
    - Tried swapping headlight relay and dimmer relay for spares
    - Tried swapping the fuse box, same
    - High beam indicator works in dash

- Heck... everything else on the car works. Every light, switch etc.

Confused about the "ground" side of this connection. In the manual it just says it goes to the dimmer relay in the fuse box. But when you trace the wire it appears to go to the ECU. The other ground it mentions obviously works as its the same ground for the rad fan, etc.

I feel like I'm missing something here. Both headlights share the same relay for headlamp and dimmer. What's stopping the fuse box from outputting the 12V. Not sure what else to try here....

Last edited by Raf99; 06-17-2021, 07:12 PM.

It seems like you have a short in the wiring to that circuit. It has been a long while since I delved into the wiring there.
    http://www.hondanews.com/releases/19...d-introduction

Comment

Ya i don't mind de-pining and running a new wire but I'm not even getting the 12V off the wire at the fuse box / off the connector. It's like something is not triggering the voltage (DRL, etc.). I'm guessing it has to do with the wire going back from the hi-beam connector (loop not happening). I'll see if I can follow this wire for continuity.

Edit: This wire goes back to the But I still have nothing. With all plugged back in, nothing. zero. Go straight to the fuse box and 20V on the fuse but not 20V on the wire on the back of the fuse box. Any help appreciated. And I'm so confused, because according to the wiring diagram the low beam gets it's voltage from the same wire (fuse #37), but if that's the case why does the low beam have it's own wires and fuses.

Obviously I can plug the high beam into the low beam connector and it works fine. But can I tie the high beam into the low beam for voltage / will it still work when using the switch for highs. I guess....... maybe the wire that controls the highs on/off could be broken and i think that's what I suspect now. The on/off signal is not working for this side, which i think is the return wire on this..... just not sure how to test it.
      Last edited by Raf99; 06-18-2021, 07:43 AM.

Comment

Yaaa. I even did this diagram to help me out and I think I figured out what the problem may be but I can't trace this wire without ripping the car apart.......

Both head lamps are supplied 12V once the connector switch (blue line) activates the headlight relay.
        Fuse #37 and #38 are powered up.
        -- Fuse #37 is for the passenger side and there's only one power wire. Somewhere along the lines the low beam bulb ties into this wire to get it's 12V source
        -- Fuse #38 for the drivers side actually has two power wires. One for low beam and one for high beam.

When the headlight high beam is activated the dimmer relay gets power. This completes the power loop for the high beams which are already powered from fuse #37 & #38

My issues is that I have no continuity on that power wire. All diagrams tell me the passenger headlight (wire RED-YEL (mine is more RED-ORG)) should go from the headlamp to a fuse box connector (which leads to fuse #37). If I check for resistance on these two ends I get nothing. The wire doesn't simply run from the passenger side into the fuse box either. For some reason this wire goes into the loom that goes behind the center of the dash and over behind the steering column etc. I've stuck a needle in the wire in the passenger side floor board area and resistance was good there. So I'm not sure where that wire goes or why. All I know is it doesn't appear to make it back to the fuse box where it should (or so.... resistance tells me).

Sigh...
        I would rather not rip out the dash but........ i'm running out of ideas. The quick fix (but not so quick) is to run a wire from the drivers side hi-beam connector all the way around to the passenger side... but dam I'd like to fix this problem.

Does anyone have their dash out and can trace a wire for me?

Comment

Ya. Couple more hours of trying things. In the end, I'm getting solid 12v off the drivers side high beam but 2.2mv on the passenger side........... testing it right at the fuse box connectors. (getting 12V on the fuses). Happens with more than 1 fuse box.
          Does anyone have a more detailed headlight electrical diagram. Maybe mine is the problem....

Comment

Ok. Finally found something. This issue is related to the DRLs. Upon activating them everything started working. The manual i have and pic above don't show this.

Comment

So lessons learned of course. In the end it was the DRL module acting up. Thanks NH-503P-3 for leading me in the right direction here. Once I released the e-brake and they activated, things started to work again. So it's going to be a faulty DRL. But for those following....

- I was using the haynes manual which doesn't show the interconnect of the DRLs. My bad there.
              - I had one manual online which does show the DRL but limited info and this diagram is a little over my head on how the DRL interacts with the lights. We know the high beam bulb get's 25% power when all others are off.

- So power is supplied in the same manner to the headlight, involving the dimmer relay and combo switch
              - But DRL control wires are also mixed in now. They are also triggered when the high beams are turned on / off, in combination with the headlights being on or off (DRLs are only one when car is in drive and headlights are off). How the DRL module itself controls all of this is more than I know and we can't see into the DRL module. But the DRL module helps turn off/on the 12V source to the headlight relay and dimmer + limit voltage for DRLs.

(but even this KS version diagram below is not correct for my Canadian car. My passenger side RED/BLU wire does not go back to the glove box. It goes over to the drivers side DRL box (which I believe is down by the foot panel , ug).

Either way, hope this helps someone. Cheers.

Comment

Working...
              X