No announcement yet.

H311RA151N : 1993 Accord EX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello Josh. I love your car and what you've done with it so far but. You call this guy your friend when he probably knew it had a bad head gasket before selling it to you... Regardless it is a good reason for a swap but still not right. I learnt one thing from the 10th anniversary edition I bought with a bad head gasket and that's to check under the radiator cap & oil cap. Did you check that before buying it? I actually just bought another cb7 90 Accord EX 118K miles needs nothing and am in love with it ill try to post pictures soon. Lowest mileage cb7 I've ever owned.

Comment

Originally posted by Kev1990 View Post
      Hello Josh. I love your car and what you've done with it so far but. You call this guy your friend when he probably knew it had a bad head gasket before selling it to you... Regardless it is a good reason for a swap but still not right. I learnt one thing from the 10th anniversary edition I bought with a bad head gasket and that's to check under the radiator cap & oil cap. Did you check that before buying it? I actually just bought another cb7 90 Accord EX 118K miles needs nothing and am in love with it ill try to post pictures soon. Lowest mileage cb7 I've ever owned.
      I see what your saying. What your saying I understand how one would quickly think that as it's very logical. I know he knew it had a problem and he stated it was missing on start up prior to our discussion on him selling it to me. However neither of us thought it would be a head gasket.

Your totally thinking what I'm thinking! Great reason for a swap.

Yeah I checked both caps. Still to this day I have no oil/coolant mixing. So there wasn't any evidence of head gasket failure in that way. Would have been nice to know early on however if it were noticeable it would have also catastrophically failed earlier.

Sounds slick as can be man. I think the lowest mileage CB I've ever owned was 178K IIRC. Yours with 118k sounds like a gem.

Comment

Got a rough draft of the swap compiled. It's surprising how much it costs. If I hadn't already done so much to this car I might look at other means of transportation. But it should be fun at least. Hopefully it lasts a long time as well.

JDM F22B DOHC SWAP

JDM F22B DOHC Complete Engine/Transmission/ECU Shipping Included $1200
        Engine, Transmission & ECU Total: $1200
        -
        Honda 14400-PT2-004 Timing Belt $85
        Honda 13405-PT0-004 Balance Shaft Belt $45
        GATES 41042 Water Pump $20
        GATES T41014 Timing Belt Tensioner $35
        GATES T41013 Balance Shaft Tensioner $30
        VICTOR REINZ JV1075 Timing Cover Gasket Set $30
        TIMKEN 224015 Front Crankshaft Seal $5
        TIMKEN 228015 Rear Crankshaft Seal $15
        SKF 10584 Balance Shaft Seal $10
        Generic Balance Shaft Seal Retainer $10
        VICTOR REINZ OS32055 Oil Pan Gasket $15
        BECK/ARNLEY 0396351 Oil Pump Gasket Set $15
        VICTOR REINZ HS5897 Complete Cylinder Head Gasket Set $135
        VICTOR REINZ 5824 MLS Head Gasket $45
        VICTOR REINZ GS33407 Cylinder Head Bolt Set $45
        NGK 2477 ZFR5FIX11 Iridium IX Spark Plugs $25
        NGK 8039 HE77 Spark Plug Wire Set $35
        SPECTRA PREMIUM/COOLING DEPOT TD61 Distributor $115
        WALKER 31377 Exhaust Manifold To Downpipe Gaskets X2 $10
        Timing Belt & Water Pump Service, Misc Engine Gaskets Etc. Total: $725
        -
        Innovative Rear Engine Mount $115
        Innovative Front Engine Mount $120
        Innovative Driver Side Engine Mount $115
        Engine Mounts Total: $350
        -
        Exedy OEM Replacement Clutch Kit $110
        LUK OEM Replacement Flywheel $50
        Honda MTF 2 Quarts $25
        TIMKEN 2007N Left CV Shaft Seal $5
        TIMKEN 3459S Right CV Shaft Seal $5
        TIMKEN 221607 Shift Rod Seal $10
        Transmission & Clutch Service Total: $205
        -
        Grand Total Engine & Transmission Service: $1280
        -
        Grand Total For Engine & Transmission Including Service: $2480

Comment

Hey. I saw an OEM belt and water pump kit on RA for like 108. Aisin pump, mishi belt, etc. not sure if it came with a front main though so check it out. That's not for an H23, so never mind I just remembered.

Comment

Originally posted by F22Chris View Post
            Hey. I saw an OEM belt and water pump kit on RA for like 108. Aisin pump, mishi belt, etc. not sure if it came with a front main though so check it out. That's not for an H23, so never mind I just remembered.
            Hey, I appreciate it anyway bro.

Comment

H3llRA151N I would highly suggest using the F22A water pump and a GSR timing belt. It has worked flawlessly on my DOHC F22B. The F22A water pump has one less tooth than the F22B water pump and the GSR is a perfect match after the change. No need to change any of the crank gears or anything else.

That is if you actually decide to go this route.
              MRT: 1993 Honda Accord SE Coupe (Lola)

Comment

Originally posted by Rilas View Post
                H3llRA151N I would highly suggest using the F22A water pump and a GSR timing belt. It has worked flawlessly on my DOHC F22B. The F22A water pump has one less tooth than the F22B water pump and the GSR is a perfect match after the change. No need to change any of the crank gears or anything else.

That is if you actually decide to go this route.
                I'll have to look at the timing belt component situation more when the time comes. I'm glad you took the time to give me your input and since you you've actually done it successfully that's good as well. There is a lot of conflicting info out there as you likely already know.

I need a new engine. And I want an upgrade. Sooo the JDM F22B DOHC it is. Cost isn't too bad along side an upgrade over the F22A.

Comment

I totally know about the conflicting information. I read for hours and hours about what combination of parts to use to have a tight timing belt. I just tried a new OEM F22A pump and didn't want to pay a fortune to get the F22B pump shipped over here. I read somewhere that the GSR belt worked. I tried the combination and it worked very well. I just hope that I can save others time and money as well. None of us can afford to waste or money on something we shouldn't have to.
                  MRT: 1993 Honda Accord SE Coupe (Lola)

Comment

Originally posted by Rilas View Post
                    I totally know about the conflicting information. I read for hours and hours about what combination of parts to use to have a tight timing belt. I just tried a new OEM F22A pump and didn't want to pay a fortune to get the F22B pump shipped over here. I read somewhere that the GSR belt worked. I tried the combination and it worked very well. I just hope that I can save others time and money as well. None of us can afford to waste or money on something we shouldn't have to.

Well, it's really appreciated Rilas! You sound very knowledgeable and competent which is enough to get my attention. I will more than likely opt for the GSR timing belt set up.

-

On another note, I found out why this car won't hold coolant. The pressure build up in the coolant system from the blown head gasket took it's toll on the radiator and blew the top off the radiator. So I've got to get to Autozone this week and buy a new radiator to get the car back on the road. If it blows the top off the replacement radiator in the near future as it did the old one I'll just return it and get another one. Still don't have the $2500 for the JDM F22B DOHC swap but I should be getting there in the next month or so.

Comment

Purchased the Spectra Premium radiator today. Got it installed and the car is driving again. Upper radiator hose swells a bit. I'll just have to wait and see how long it works. Wish I had a way to relive the pressure... thinking of modifying a radiator cap and seeing if I can safely relive the pressure building up...

Comment

That's for sure something to brain storm.. Maybe you can find a radiator cap with a lower pressure rating?

Comment

Oh, I should also add, I can't work on my car at home. My neighborhood has a home owners association and they forbid working on automobiles. Today I had to run out and do it real quick and hope no one that would snitch seen me.

So, again, I'm literally not allowed to work on my car where I live.

Comment

Originally posted by F22Chris View Post
                            That's for sure something to brain storm.. Maybe you can find a radiator cap with a lower pressure rating?
                            Not a bad idea. I'll have to look into it.

I was thinking about cutting a slit in the rubber and seeing if it would relive the pressure into the overflow bottle. Then, leaving the cap to the overflow a little loose.

It's all about just trying to get by. Not trying to drive it thousands of miles or across the country. I drive about 2.75 miles to work one way and that's the trip I'm trying to take in it twice a day for a little while. If the coolant system fails in another way somehow soon I'm not going to be surprised. It's expected in fact.

Comment

I got financed for a 2009 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro on Friday so this car is going on the back burner. Which, maybe when I'm ready will enable me to get serious with this car.

I took it out yesterday and thrashed it about. Drilled a hole in the radiator cap which helps a bit.

I'll have to get some pics of the J marks, burnout marks and shit I left.

Comment

Originally posted by H311RA151N View Post
                                I got financed for a 2009 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro on Friday so this car is going on the back burner. Which, maybe when I'm ready will enable me to get serious with this car.

I took it out yesterday and thrashed it about. Drilled a hole in the radiator cap which helps a bit.

I'll have to get some pics of the J marks, burnout marks and shit I left.
                                Nice. I just went German too. Check out my MRT for it in the off topic. I bet the inside of your bell housing looks like weave now!

Comment

Working...
                                X