getting a smart phone, have no clue what to get

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

getting a smart phone, have no clue what to get

my mom decided to get herself a smart phone, and since we are both on the same plan, i can now get one. unfortunately, i have no clue of the pro's and cons of newer smartphones. we are on verizon, so it has to be compatible with that. i like the ipone 4, but dont really want to spend $200 on one, so i've been looking at droids. here are some of my needs/wants in a phone:

good reception-when i'm not at school, i'm at home and we are in fucking podunk ass southwest MO so if i can get data at home, i would be in love with the phone.
    decent price, around 100 but i'm easy
    easy to fit in my pocket
    headphone jack-i broke my ipod trying to fix it, so if i can use my phone as my media player, it is that much better.
    either a touch-screen or a keyboard with large buttons (i have huge thumbs), but i think i'd prefer the touchscreen
    availability of a badass case (i am hard on my phone, so i'd like to get a really good case that protects the phone as well as possible)
    a good camera-as a photographer i hate not having a camera with me, even if it doesnt have the quality of my big camera.

so far i'm looking at an HTC Incredible, but let me know what you think i should get!
    Last edited by steelbluesleepR; 02-25-2011, 02:49 AM.

Click for my Member's Ride Thread
    Originally posted by Stephen Fry
    'It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so fucking what?' —Stephen Fry
    Eye Level Media - Commercial & Automotive Photography: www.EyeLevelSTL.com

HTC Incredible is a great phone. It's very well named. I have one and I give it 5/5.

If you're looking for a cheaper phone, look at my FS thread in my sig.
    MRT
    37.5 MPG, AC on, cruising at 80.
    30.0 MPG, AC on, aggressively driving around 90.
    27.5 MPG, no AC, cruising at 90 with occasional gridlock. 40 degrees Fahrenheit

Lots of DIY videos specifically for our car

Get some awesome wipers! <-- It's a DIY
    Originally posted by Tippey764
    I think driving your car naked will cause the engine to overheat
    Originally posted by deevergote
    sneaky motherfucker

Comment

thanks for the offer, but i looked at the blackberries and i've gotta say i'm not a fan. like i said, i have big thumbs and couldnt get comfortable with those tiny buttons.

'It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so fucking what?' —Stephen Fry

Comment

http://cell-phones.toptenreviews.com/smartphones/

good place to start. besides this site hah
        "My FOR SALE thread - Click here"

MEMBERS RIDE

99 SILVERADO

WHEEL FLIP

Comment

Originally posted by steelbluesleepR View Post
          thanks for the offer, but i looked at the blackberries and i've gotta say i'm not a fan. like i said, i have big thumbs and couldnt get comfortable with those tiny buttons.
          It's not as bad as it seems. I also have large fingers.
          As for the Incredible, it'll completely change your typing habits.
          Auto correct plays a big part in it, and when you get super lazy speech recognition does the rest.
          MRT
          37.5 MPG, AC on, cruising at 80.
          30.0 MPG, AC on, aggressively driving around 90.
          27.5 MPG, no AC, cruising at 90 with occasional gridlock. 40 degrees Fahrenheit

Lots of DIY videos specifically for our car

Get some awesome wipers! <-- It's a DIY
          Originally posted by Tippey764
          I think driving your car naked will cause the engine to overheat
          Originally posted by deevergote
          sneaky motherfucker

Comment

DROID is definitely the way to go. My Eris is pushing a year old but it's still a great phone. Like you, I also have the fingers of an adult male(as opposed to a 12-year old japanese girl ) so keyboards with tiny buttons are out for me. Most DROIDs, you can calibrate the sensors in the touchscreen to fit your typing style and accuracy. My phone is right 9/10 times but part of that is T9, lol.

Ralphie was looking at the D2 or the Fascinate. He chose the D2 but i really liked the Fascinate. I would say go into your local store and take a look at the phones they have on display. The Incredible, the X, the D2 and the fascinate are probably the best. HTC and Samsung make incredible products.

Check this link out... http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/s...osName=Android

The Fascinate only has a 5MP camera as opposed to the Incredible's 8, but the Fascinate has mobile hotspot AND WiFi capability which may come in handy out there in the sticks.

KeepinItClean | EnviousFilms | NoBigDeal | YET2BSCENE | .· ` ' / ·. | click here.
            Originally posted by Jarrett
            Is there a goal you're trying to accomplish besides looking dope as hell?

Comment

Also, checkout www.otterbox.com for good, quality cases. Depending on the phone, you can get some pretty tough cases.

KeepinItClean | EnviousFilms | NoBigDeal | YET2BSCENE | .· ` ' / ·. | click here.

Comment

The incredible isn't a bad phone at all. Is it worth an extra 100 to get the iphone4? YES. The iphone is amazing and I absolutely love it. Well worth the investment. My girl has the incredible but I don't enjoy it as much. She loves my phone.

Comment

Im not knocking Apple, or the iPhone but i'll share an experience I recently had with an owner of an iPhone.

A guy I work with has an iPhone. He used to have a DROID but had issues with where he lived and what-not and had to move from Verizon to AT&T. Well, he came to me the other day and was telling me about how he could take songs on his computer, on iTunes, and cut and chop them up into ringtones for his phone. He was telling me how there's this app and this thing you DL to iTunes and so on and so forth. And he went on for few minutes and after he was done, I said, "Yeah, i have that exact same thing....-ON- my phone..." And he says, "What do you mean '-ON-' your phone??" "I can SYNC my phone with my computer and i can transfer songs from my computer to my phone and then i have an option in the player to turn a song into a ringtone and it lets me pick a segment of whatever song and make a ringtone out of it. -WITHOUT- any apps -OR- iTunes..."

If I were him Id feel a little ripped off. $400 for the phone and you had to buy an app for an option that the droid already comes with.

Now, i know phones are phones, and like people theyre all different. Some are smarter than others, some are faster than others, but they all do the same basic functions. It just depends on what YOUR needs are. IMHO, Apple is just a name. Just a brand. Just a hype. IMO, DROID phones do, and provide, the same functions an iPhone does for less price.

Comment

Ya Mike already pretty much summed it up.

I chose the Special Edition Droid R2D2 because im a Star Wars fan and i played with the Fascinate and Droid in person, and i liked both phones, but the Droid seemed more of a Droid to me then the Fascinate.

The Fascinate was eyecandy and locked to Search using Bing....so i went with what i KNOW works, and im 110% happy....i love every single thing about this phone.

I did NOT tweak my battery and out of the box using the battery saver options, i see 10-12 hours on a single charge with moderate to heavy use.

Un fucking real.

So yea, my wife has the Verizon iPhone and the display is gorgeous but its still an iPhone...same as every before it. Nothing radical has changed, because Apple doesn't like change.

It works for some, others are not content.

Ill never forget when i sent my sister-in-law a link to download a ringtone and when she pulled up the link it said it was unable to download because it has to be synced through iTunes and i was like wow....fail.

Comment

If I keep my backlight on the lowest setting, I can get 12+ hours with moderate texting/Fbing on my Eris.

IF I had the fascinate Id be tempted to watch movies and videos though, lol.

Comment

ok, it looks like i'm going to be getting a droid X (parents plan, same thing my mom got), but my contract doesnt expire until may so it looks like i have to wait until then to get by birthday present. i like my phone, but its starting to die and i want some pocket candy!

Comment

I am just going to come in here and rant about the price of phone plans for one second.

Effing ridiculous. I have the only phone with a QWERTY keyboard on Verizon that doesn't require a data plan and it's a total POS. If I upgrade to basically any phone on Verizon that's half decent, I have to get a data plan.

That being said, I'll probably just go with the iPhone 4 when I can upgrade in November. I'm sure the Droid's a better phone, but I already have an iPod Touch, and I know the interface and have the iPod interface in my car, so when I'm ready to upgrade, I can go from two devices from one.

I just think the price for these phones are ridiculous. I couldn't imagine being 16 again and having to have a cell phone on a part-time minimum wage job.

Comment

Originally posted by AccordWarrior View Post
                            I am just going to come in here and rant about the price of phone plans for one second.

Effing ridiculous. I have the only phone with a QWERTY keyboard on Verizon that doesn't require a data plan and it's a total POS. If I upgrade to basically any phone on Verizon that's half decent, I have to get a data plan.

That being said, I'll probably just go with the iPhone 4 when I can upgrade in November. I'm sure the Droid's a better phone, but I already have an iPod Touch, and I know the interface and have the iPod interface in my car, so when I'm ready to upgrade, I can go from two devices from one.

I just think the price for these phones are ridiculous. I couldn't imagine being 16 again and having to have a cell phone on a part-time minimum wage job.
                            Your arguement is 100% valid.

My phone is a 499$ phone, since it i guess didn't sell and they want to get rid of it, i paid 99$(with 2 year contract)

On our family plan, with two unlimited data plans/shared mins/unlimited text, we are paying 90$/month.

Fucking insanity but it is what it is.

Luckily we get a discount through my wife, or else wed be paying 20% more lol.

Comment

youd probably like the droid incredible, great phone, solid build, smooth OS

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
                              - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
                              - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                              - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
                              - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                              - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
                              - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
                              - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
                              Current cars:
                              - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
                              - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Working...
                              X