Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's time for some changes around here...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some random thoughts/ideas/theories

Bad economy knocked the wind out of a lot of projects + I think kind of blunted the coolness of modding cars for a lot of people.

CBs are OLD. When I bought my first one it was 10 years old. Same car is 19 years old today. Thats gonna attract a whole different kind of buyer and thus a different tuning scene.

Like Deev said, site is a lot bigger. When I first started I feel like I knew everybody. We used to have meets regularly. I used to chill w/a lot of CB folks. But you know, life happens. Now I might just chill with bruno2787, I got too much other shit going on. And I think a lot of other OGs do too.

People were not very nice to StickyDilJoe or 2point6 from what I remember. There is a lot of jealousy for people who really go above and beyond the norm.

Etc. etc. There are a lot of moving parts. But I don't think we can ever get it back how it used to be. And a lot of the bad shit is just the consequence of irreversible change.

Originally posted by lordoja
    im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

Damn, I had a whole thing typed and forgot to post it... then clicked away and lost it!

Oh well. The core of it was:

It'll never really be the same. That's like going back to childhood. Just isn't going to happen! Hindsight through rose colored glasses. It was probably never quite as good then anyway (hence my quote by Mayberry regarding 2006 members in 2007... 2007 is "oldschool" now, but people were still complaining about "the old days" even then!)

You're right. The cars aren't the same as they were then. They were affordable when this site started, but most of them now are total beaters. When this site started $3500 was a fair price for a good CB7. Now, anyone who pays $3500 is a fool. $1500 is what most go for these days.
      There really IS a difference between the type of person that will pay $3500 for a car and $1000 for a car. That difference is even more evident in their willingness to put money into the car to restore/repair/modify. If your car cost you $3500, it's worth putting $1000 into bodywork. But if the car cost $1000, paying that much again to repair some body damage is unthinkable. The majority of the people here don't see a super-cheap Accord as "a good start", but more as a "cheap car". It does indeed change the vibe of the place... and it does wear on the patience of the older members that don't see "a cheap car", because that's never what their car was to them.
      I paid $3500 for my car, WITH some body damage and terribly faded paint. I only paid that little because my stepfather owned the dealership I bought it from.

Still, just because the site is bigger, cheaper, and less focused on quality doesn't mean that it's ALL bad. For every 10 people with crappy beaters, we have 1 with a professional paintjob, forged wheels, quality suspension, and a built engine. Many areas have a close-knit group of people that met here and have become friends. Two of my closest friends are guys I met on this site, actually. Many more are guys that I don't see often, or even never, but I still consider real friends (not just "people I know on the internet". )

Comment

I whole heartedly feel that there will be a changing that will come whether we like it or not.

Eventually people won't be buying these cars as beaters and the majority of people would never consider this platform because of it's age.

The same way NO 16 year old goes out and buys a 57 Chevy.

He wouldn't know the first thing about it(well most 16 year olds lol)

So we will be left with a group of people that probably are less interested in "modding" them and more interested in restoring them and bringing them back to the look of their hey day!

That is the group im hoping to be in.

I have a lot of things I wanted to do to a cb if I ever got one again, but honestly if I ever do, I think it would be cooler to just try to keep it OEM as possible and as clean as Brian(TYPE G)

More in the Classic car category.

In either way, the platform is not there yet. Its in this middle of the road funk.

Idk I could be completely crazy but that's what I think.

In some way, if that happens, it would be like 2003, because instead of putting down power and j swaps lol, it would be a more close knit restoration kind of deal.

Not that that hasn't been done to some extent but not in the way im imagining it.

And all those parts no one gave a shit about in pursuit of their JDM stuff would be the rare stuff to have!

Comment

We're still where 3geez.com was a few years ago. Unfortunately, our funk is a bit longer-lived. Their cars were OBD0/pre-OBD, carb'd (the vast majority of this site's members are North American, and no carb'd CBs ever came here), and their engine swap options pretty much died out with the chassis, and the fall of Place Racing, who was the only company that made B-swap mounts for them. 3geez was once a quagmire of idiot noobs that inherited mommy's beater, or traded the Pokemon cards for enough change to buy a rusty Accord. Now, it's mostly full of enthusiasts... and some of those enthusiasts are doing INSANE things (look up A18A's two cars on 3geez... he's also a member here... I was marveling at his work yesterday... wow.)
          When a car gets old enough that the kiddies don't like it... due to the old styling, low power, or limited parts selection... then they look elsewhere. 6th gens are now at the price CB7s were when this site started (ironic... the 6th gen was just ending when this site started!) 6th gens are getting the crowd this place used to have. 5th gens got it a few years ago (when I started CD5tuner... which would be a much more active place had I not accidentally broken the site for a year...)

The problem with us compared to 3geez is this: We have suspensions compatible with newer cars, engines compatible with even newer, and a highly supported OBD1 system that makes tuning quite simple. Unlike the 3geez, the CB has been given a longer life because plenty of upgrade options still exist. And with an H22 swap, a 200hp FWD car is still on par with much of today's new car market.
          It'll take longer for our cars to fade into obscurity. The true enthusiasts need to take advantage of the aftermarket that is still somewhat alive and kicking, and just prepare for the day when it goes away... and these cars become classic enthusiast-mobiles. When it happens, it'll probably happen pretty quickly. I expect in the next 2-3 years, the last remnants of quality CB7 aftermarket bits will be drying up.

Comment

My biggest gripe is about the spelling. I try my best to spell everything out for good reason, it makes searching easier!!!! Example: You have a transmission problem, How many other ways do people refer to a transmission? Trans, tranny, transmision, 5spd, auto, and I'm sure there's more that I can't think of but that to me is a big deal. Same with distributors. Correct spelling makes searching easier.

I know I tend to add a touch of sarcasm in my replies. Perhaps a little less is in order.

Comment

"n e 1 help wit trany prob?"

Agreed. Those sort of things will NEVER help when someone searches. It also deters anyone who doesn't want to help someone who is lazy and immature... which is the majority of the experienced, knowledgeable people here!
              That's the sort of divide you'll find on Honda-Tech, and the sort of thing I want to avoid. The lazy-typing noobs are fumbling around in the dark, "helping" each other, while the intelligent, experienced, older members ignore or belittle them.

That's what i want to work with the staff to try to address. We can't ensure clear spelling and grammar by force, or we'll be forum nazis... but there has to be a way to make our situation a bit better on here.

Comment

I agree with Deevergote and will too make more effort in keeping my cool.

I agree 100% with better spelling comments for sake of all those trying to look up information and add to that better grammar.

Several times, I try to help with technical questions and half the time can not even understand the question. This wastes time trying to pull the question out of the thread start, if you care to take the time.

Also, people need to be more detailed in describing their problems, listing symptoms, etc. so we can provide better help. Laziness is a big factor and that should be part of the attitude adjustment Deev speaks of.
                HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

We need to find a way to influence the newer members to communicate more effectively: spelling, grammar, and depth of information.

At the same time, the older members need to be able to exhibit a bit more patience and civility toward the newer, less experienced members.

The second will be MUCH easier if we are able to accomplish the first (and that will be the staff's duty... though suggestions from everyone else will be more than welcome.)

Comment

I think if go back to the older members enlightening the newer members with the push for better spelling, grammer and content as the threads naturally arise. Key is to stay cool and change as you go with proper attitude.

Older members will see everyone changing and follow suit. Newer members are encouraged = everyone sings kumbaya together roasting marshmellows over a fire pit.
                    HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

Agreed. Leading by example is the best way to do it.

The biggest problem is in urging new members to spell correctly, use proper grammar, and proper punctuation. Often, the first time you make an effort to request clear communication, you get a "i jus want help wit my car dis aint school u aint my teacher so u gonna help me wit my car or wut" reply. Then, suddenly, it's "us against them"... not productive at all.
                      My previous mindset was "if demanding clear communication makes them think we are nazis and they leave, so be it"... but apparently that attitude was having a very negative effect on the existing community. I STILL don't believe we need people that can't communicate clearly (non-English speakers not included... their inability to type clear English is more than understandable)

Comment

Originally posted by Ralphie View Post
                        I whole heartedly feel that there will be a changing that will come whether we like it or not.

Eventually people won't be buying these cars as beaters and the majority of people would never consider this platform because of it's age.

The same way NO 16 year old goes out and buys a 57 Chevy.

He wouldn't know the first thing about it(well most 16 year olds lol)

So we will be left with a group of people that probably are less interested in "modding" them and more interested in restoring them and bringing them back to the look of their hey day!

That is the group im hoping to be in.

I have a lot of things I wanted to do to a cb if I ever got one again, but honestly if I ever do, I think it would be cooler to just try to keep it OEM as possible and as clean as Brian(TYPE G)

More in the Classic car category.

In either way, the platform is not there yet. Its in this middle of the road funk.

Idk I could be completely crazy but that's what I think.

In some way, if that happens, it would be like 2003, because instead of putting down power and j swaps lol, it would be a more close knit restoration kind of deal.

Not that that hasn't been done to some extent but not in the way im imagining it.

And all those parts no one gave a shit about in pursuit of their JDM stuff would be the rare stuff to have!
                        OT. But I never noticed your join date. Could of sworn you have been here longer

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                          We need to find a way to influence the newer members to communicate more effectively: spelling, grammar, and depth of information.

At the same time, the older members need to be able to exhibit a bit more patience and civility toward the newer, less experienced members.

The second will be MUCH easier if we are able to accomplish the first (and that will be the staff's duty... though suggestions from everyone else will be more than welcome.)
                          i have surprised myself by sounding like my father when answering questions posted by newer younger mambers
                          http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...82408002-1.jpg

Comment

honestly i can't wait until our cars reach classic status were all the enthusiast will be about fixing and making there car look clean and oem as possible...I'm in my mid 20s but i seem to be catering to just keeping my own car as oem as possible..MINUS the wheels of course..but i just think it looks so much better!

Lou's Build Thread!
                            http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=181377
                            "G-Squares Are For Assholes"~PR_CB7

Comment

Originally posted by CB7H22Los View Post
                              honestly i can't wait until our cars reach classic status were all the enthusiast will be about fixing and making there car look clean and oem as possible...I'm in my mid 20s but i seem to be catering to just keeping my own car as oem as possible..MINUS the wheels of course..but i just think it looks so much better!
                              Yes me too!
                              I know i am a newer member but it took me a little while to realize the way a forum works and the rules going along with it. This is/was my first forum and love every minute of it. It took me a while but READING goes a long way.
                              The newer generations like things spelled out and things handed to them because of technology. I am from this newer generation and yes i can be lazy at times but you can't be spoonfed all your life.

Now i know i may not have the best grammar but i try because if you need help "ppl need 2 b able 2 read wat u rite n understand the posts u make" or as said before you get ignored or belittled.
                              All in all as a community i know it can be done and i know most members agree.

Comment

i gotta love the young people who say

" i got a 800 hp Callaway Corvette that rips up the road course"

alot of those people forget to mention that daddy or mommy called up Callaway and ordered it like that,

and as far as internet goes, there is no substitute for learning it by doing it yourself

"werd 2 d frm"
                                http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...82408002-1.jpg

Comment

Working...
                                X