Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's time for some changes around here...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's time for some changes around here...

I've taken the past week to step away from this site a bit. I wanted to assess the way things ran without being in the thick of it.

What I have come to realize is that this community needs an attitude adjustment. Badly.
    Starting with myself.

In my time away, I got PMs from two members that I hold in high regard saying they just aren't happy here anymore. I'd like to blame their unhappiness on the "quality of the new members"... but that's really not the case.

The overall vibe of this site has gone from that of a tight knit community to one that is full of judgmental sarcasm, intolerance, and exclusivity. I don't like it.

Perhaps I'm to blame, somewhat. I intend to change the way I interact on this forum, and I hope most of you will follow my lead.
    There was a time when the guy with the 600hp car would gladly give a new member friendly advice on how to change a headlight bulb, or explain the Maintenance Required indicator. There was a time when the entire community would encourage enthusiasm for the CB chassis, even when the wonder of the simple things has long since worn off. I want to get back to that time.

I will be talking to the moderators to determine some ways we, as the staff, can organize things to perhaps prevent some of the more annoying issues (such as unintelligible gibberish posts, txt-speak, etc... that seems to turn an otherwise valid thread into a grammar/spelling lesson...)
    I will gladly hear any suggestions from members as well (via PM, preferably... I'd rather not turn a suggestion into a public discussion, especially if it's something that I can't or won't do.)

Until we actually get some organized effort behind this, I ask you... please respect your fellow member. Help when you can, politely. If you don't want to help, or don't want to be polite, don't post. Just click away. Remember that we're all in this together. We're fans of the CB chassis. More than a few have moved on and are simply fans of this community. That alone shows that there's something here worth fixing!

You were all new members once. You were all new to cars once. You all had to figure things out, and if you wanted to do it all on your own... well... you wouldn't be a part of a forum in the first place. Remember that, and help out the new kiddos when they come in asking about their legend lips, black/yellowhoused headlights, or cheap ebay suspension components. You can educate them without belittling them!

Word homie!
    My FB Page - http://www.facebook.com/hellaflush3d

My 3D Work --> http://samauripizzacats.deviantart.com/

Comment

if there is anything I can do, let me know!
      Originally posted by deevergote
      These cars will never be the best at anything, but they're pretty damn good at everything.

92ex CB7<-SOLD 93ex CB9shiftingshift73C10

Comment

This one of the few sites that actually TRY to change things going on with the forum, most Admins would just say "You don't like it here? Leave." Glad you aren't like that deev
        1993 10th Anniversary MRT

Originally posted by The G-Man
        For that money, yes. But my dick isn't big enough for that shit.

List of all my cars to date

Comment

Originally posted by mtnbikaah View Post
          if There Is Anything I Can Do, Let Me Know!
          X2

Comment

I'll mention one of my pet peeves here. I HATE when people say 'google it'. Sure that's the easy answer and 9 times out of 10, the person didn't try looking it up.

But, what does googling it accomplish? It drives people away from the site to find information elsewhere.

Many times people ask these questions to start a conversation about their car, plans, etc. As Deev said, if you don't want to help or engage in a conversation, don't say anything. Just leave. Don't say 'google it' or 'Search' just leave.

Or you can do something more constructive. If you don't know, YOU look it up, google it, search, and find the link or thread with good information. Come back and say "I wasn't sure either but I looked it up and this is what I found." That's a very subtle way of saying "you could have done this" without pissing people off and driving them away.

Or, if you know the answer, mention it and support it with a similar thread.

My .02
            My Car
            FREE Web hosting solutions

Comment

X3

Was wondering where you were the past few days... Now we know!
              92 Honda Accord LX - Sold
              2005 Nissan Altima 2.5S - Sold
              2007 Dodge Charger SXT

Comment

i try to help when I can, I just hope my dry sense of humor or sarcasm doesnt butt hurt newbs.. this great site has helped with stuff even when insignificant and compared to some threads on other sites where everyones the pontificated guru, this one actually has a community feeling instead of a S&M chamber

Comment

I agree, iv noticed it in myself too.... So I tend to stay away from the technical forum.
                  -Will

Comment

x4 I will gladly help in any way possible. I will be honest I have taken notice to a lot of the threads with responses saying search for it and all of the smartass pot. I am guilty of posting the occassional smart ass response but will now cease that type of behavior when on here. Also I am throughly pleased with this community and this forum. If it has declined, then I would love to see how it will be with these changes you have mentioned in this thread. With that being said, I will gladly help in any way I can.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=189897 MRT
                    http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...09#post3003309 EF hatch build

Comment

Long time coming.

Im not sure anything we do as a community, will bring it back to the good ole days, simply because of the change in ownership age/maturity etc and just the general attitude of younger kids these days, but we can sure change enough that it will be more enjoyable to hang around here.

I use to be here 24/7 and I myself got tired of the same old bs.

Sometimes I can be an asshole but it just stems for my disappointment over things here and general attitudes of people.

Good luck!

Im here too, if you need anything Mike!

Comment

Holy crap. Best post i've seen since i got here. New members like me are just curious and the fact that we come here for advice means we don't have the money to just throw it in our CBs. I'm a perfectionist in everything i do but finding out easier and better ways to do things is something anybody would like.
                        10th Anniversary Accord.
                        05 Audi A4 Ultra Sport 6MT.

Comment

Excited for that. Maybe then I'll be motivated to venture out of Off Topic some more and actually spend time in the Beginner's forum which I rarely do.
                          1993 Accord LX - Sold
                          93 BMW 525it - SOLD
                          92 Accord EX Sedan - SOLD
                          2000 Accord Coupe - Traded-In
                          2003 Accord V6 6spd Coupe - Sold
                          2001 Honda Civic Ex - SOLD
                          2013 Chevy Traverse LTZ - Kid hauler
                          2003 Acura Tl 3.2 - Daily Commuter

Comment

In for this. Yeah, I'm still around, come at me.
                            Current 2016 Ford F150 XLT Sport
                            Past 1990 Accord EX Sedan
                            Past 1990 Accord LX Sedan
                            Past 1991 Accord LX Sedan
                            Past 1993 Accord LX Wagon
                            Current 1991 Accord EX Wagon

Comment

Perhaps I should change my title to go along with the attitude adjustment.
                              Originally posted by sweet91accord
                              if aredy time i need to put something in cb7tuner. you guy need to me a smart ass about and bust on my spelling,gramar and shit like that in so sorry.

Comment

Working...
                              X