New found power via timing belt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New found power via timing belt

Due to a leaking water pump I had to change my timing belt on Saturday.
    The old one only had 35k on it, and looked brand new.
    I have no idea if I did something wrong or not, but the engine is noticeably
    stronger now.
    I'm rather ecstatic and wanted to spread the word; Timing belt change = many horsepowers!
    MRT
    37.5 MPG, AC on, cruising at 80.
    30.0 MPG, AC on, aggressively driving around 90.
    27.5 MPG, no AC, cruising at 90 with occasional gridlock. 40 degrees Fahrenheit

Lots of DIY videos specifically for our car

Get some awesome wipers! <-- It's a DIY
    Originally posted by Tippey764
    I think driving your car naked will cause the engine to overheat
    Originally posted by deevergote
    sneaky motherfucker

Timing.

To add my yota was 30 degrees retarded when i got it advanced it to about 15 and ton's of miniature ponies came alive, barked 3rd the other day i was like WAT?
    Last edited by SOHC-FTW; 11-12-2012, 09:02 PM.

02 Crv
    02 silverado Ex cab Z71, 2011 TRD 17" wheels, 245/80/17, ls1 cam, AFE intake, 3" catback, tuned by Larry at LSXperformance&pcm tuning driven daily.
    92 Acura Legend colbalt blue LS Coupe, custom intake, custom vibrant 2.5 cat back, led cluster and high beams, 2016 Coyote GT 18x8 wheels 235/40/18.
    Coming Soon Tein TSX coilovers.

Comment

Originally posted by SOHC-FTW View Post
      Timing.
      It was spot on before. I haven't verified it again with my timing light though.
      Thinking about it now, I didn't verify the balance shaft belt was spot on. I'm kind of worried about it.
      Last edited by GeoffM; 11-12-2012, 09:02 PM.
      MRT

sneaky motherfucker

Comment

Sounds advanced now though.

Comment

Originally posted by GeoffM View Post
          It was spot on before. I haven't verified it again with my timing light though.
          Thinking about it now, I didn't verify the balance shaft belt was spot on. I'm kind of worried about it.
          you'd know if it was off
          I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Timing is still dead on. I think I was about to have a seizure though.
            My engine was cold so the idle was high. High idle = that light flashes faster.
            MRT

sneaky motherfucker

Comment

Originally posted by wed3k View Post
              you'd know if it was off
              Even if my motor mounts were shit? It's either the balance belt or the mounts.
              MRT

sneaky motherfucker

Comment

He means if the timing is off your valves will hit the piston and bend.

Comment

Originally posted by wildBill83 View Post
                  He means if the timing is off your valves will hit the piston and bend.
                  If you're a tooth off that won't happen

Comment

It'll just idle like shit and run like shit.
                    I was very careful to move the pulleys to TDC before I removed the belt.
                    I also am not 100% sure on how to time it so I didn't move them for that too.
                    MRT

sneaky motherfucker

Comment

You want to check base timing with the engine warm and the ecu jumper plug jumped.
                      My Member's Ride Thread

Bisimoto header before & after dyno

1993 10th Anniversary: F22a6, H23IM, Bisimoto header, Custom mandrel exhaust, 5spd swap.

Comment

Originally posted by 19dabeast85 View Post
                        You want to check base timing with the engine warm and the ecu jumper plug jumped.
                        Correct. You'll need a timing light to do this, preferably one that doesn't have an automatic advance, or one that you can turn the automatic advance feature off. The reason for that is that the timing lights with automatic advance need careful calibration, and are known to be off more often than not. It's just easier to not use one with automatic advance.

The reason you need the jumper plugged is so that the ECU doesn't interfere with the ignition timing, which it normally would do if the jumper was not plugged in. Under normal operation, the ECU performs what's called "timing advance," not to be confused with the "advance timing" function on some timing lights. The "timing advance" advances the ignition at higher RPM, because the air/fuel mixture in the cylinder burns at a more or less constant rate, and at higher RPM there is "less" time for it to burn when compared to lower RPM, so the ECU advances the ignition spark at high RPM to ensure proper fuel burn. Having this feature on while setting the base timing would wreak havoc and be very difficult.

Finally, you should check your base timing at two different RPM settings I believe. The manual should state at which two RPMs you should check. I believe the first is "idle", which I believe is 700 +/- 50 RPM.

Comment

how was the water pump pulley. last time i changed the water pump on my white ex, the pulley was hard to turn by hand. once the new pump was in, wow, that is all i thought at that moment lol.
                          are we there yet are we there yet are we there yet

Comment

Originally posted by Tippey764 View Post
                            If you're a tooth off that won't happen
                            If you are a tooth off your timing is advanced/retarded... I consider "off" timing as a non-running situation (valve interference).

Comment

Originally posted by 19dabeast85 View Post
                              I know. I made a video showing how to do it but my camera wouldn't catch the flashes.

Originally posted by reklipz View Post
                              Finally, you should check your base timing at two different RPM settings I believe. The manual should state at which two RPMs you should check. I believe the first is "idle", which I believe is 700 +/- 50 RPM.
                              How do you do that? Go have a friend hit the gas?

Originally posted by alb_accord View Post
                              how was the water pump pulley. last time i changed the water pump on my white ex, the pulley was hard to turn by hand. once the new pump was in, wow, that is all i thought at that moment lol.
                              You want some resistance, but it's difficult to describe. You want fresh bearings resistance, not blown out bearings resistance. Water pumps are designed to leak out a weep hole when the bearing goes bad. Mine was OEM, so it wasn't too bad for lasting 20 years.

Originally posted by wildBill83 View Post
                              If you are a tooth off your timing is advanced/retarded... I consider "off" timing as a non-running situation (valve interference).
                              But if you're a tooth off, wouldn't it be too far off for the ecu to auto adjust?
                              MRT

sneaky motherfucker

Comment

Working...
                              X