No announcement yet.

A biting dog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've had dogs my whole life. A big fan of shows like the dog whisperer and believe any dog can be "fixed". But for whatever reason this dog cannot be "fixed" please choose option #1. Its the best option for everyone.

Comment

What you're describing doesn't sound like the characteristics of a dog that is "dumb", but one that has other issues such as a physical ailment or a developmental disability. Yes, animals are susceptible to a lot of the same disorders humans are. Have you considered taking it to a vet to have it checked out? They cost money, sure, but as animal owners we sign on to those types of responsibilities.

If you (anyone reading that chooses to dispose of animals so quickly) were to have a child born that had special needs or physical disabilities would you be so quick to get rid of them in favor of a child that wasn't so "dumb"? I have worked my summers at a Christian summer camp for children and adults with special needs and I guarantee you it happens all the time. Maybe 25% of the campers we have come from homes where the parents are still together. Most people just can't be so inconvenienced as to take on these types of responsibilities. It's wrong, but the same can be said for treating pets the same way. Otherwise, the animal's other problem was having the misfortune of being selected for ownership by you (again, general). If you'd do it with an animal that you're supposed to care about and be responsible for, you'd probably feel the same way towards a child.
      My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
        I've had dogs my whole life. A big fan of shows like the dog whisperer and believe any dog can be "fixed". But for whatever reason this dog cannot be "fixed" please choose option #1. Its the best option for everyone.
        It all depends on the situation. He’s destroying our house. If it comes to the point where he must go because of that, then option 1 is most likely.
        He bites again, he’ll be dead within minutes. (Minutes required to find gun)

Originally posted by Jarrett View Post
        What you're describing doesn't sound like the characteristics of a dog that is "dumb", but one that has other issues such as a physical ailment or a developmental disability. Yes, animals are susceptible to a lot of the same disorders humans are. Have you considered taking it to a vet to have it checked out? They cost money, sure, but as animal owners we sign on to those types of responsibilities.

If you (anyone reading that chooses to dispose of animals so quickly) were to have a child born that had special needs or physical disabilities would you be so quick to get rid of them in favor of a child that wasn't so "dumb"? I have worked my summers at a Christian summer camp for children and adults with special needs and I guarantee you it happens all the time. Maybe 25% of the campers we have come from homes where the parents are still together. Most people just can't be so inconvenienced as to take on these types of responsibilities. It's wrong, but the same can be said for treating pets the same way. Otherwise, the animal's other problem was having the misfortune of being selected for ownership by you (again, general). If you'd do it with an animal that you're supposed to care about and be responsible for, you'd probably feel the same way towards a child.

His status regarding the vet is very similar to most people here and their cars. If it breaks again, he’s gone. We’ve put too much money into him to continue investing in a 10-12 year old dog.
        That applies easily to cars and this dog, so I’ll elaborate:

1. The obvious, things like heartworm, vaccines, etc.
        2. He’s broken out of our fenced in yard before, and broke his leg. He was in a cast for a few months
        3. Before and after the cast, he’s chewed various paws to the point of bleeding
        4. (Might be a breed thing) His eyes are eternally screwed up. It’s like that black stuff poodles put out of their eyes, but 10x, and only one eye at a time.
        5. He shakes. Anytime he’s not laying in his bed, shaking/vibrating. Because of this, he’s made out of muscle.

He’s been to the vet for all of the above, on more than one occasion. It’s not like we haven’t cared for him. The other dog gets the same treatment (minus injury stuff, because he’s not retarded).

I had a nice long paragraph typed out to your second paragraph, but it would take us faaaar off topic. So I’ll abbreviate:
        Yes, I would give away/abort any child that’s defective.
        We’ve been trying to “fix” him for 10-12 years
        Over those years, he’s bitten 3 times.
        We currently have 2 dogs, and 3 cats. We’re not bad pet owners.
        MRT
        37.5 MPG, AC on, cruising at 80.
        30.0 MPG, AC on, aggressively driving around 90.
        27.5 MPG, no AC, cruising at 90 with occasional gridlock. 40 degrees Fahrenheit

Lots of DIY videos specifically for our car

Get some awesome wipers! <-- It's a DIY
        Originally posted by Tippey764
        I think driving your car naked will cause the engine to overheat
        Originally posted by deevergote
        sneaky motherfucker

Comment

Can't you call your local animal control and have them take away the dog?
          Let them decide what to do with it, then.
          A&P-IA

Comment

Originally posted by oyajicool View Post
            Can't you call your local animal control and have them take away the dog?
            Let them decide what to do with it, then.
            I suppose that's also a viable option.
            Provided I don't get a bill. If it's come to the point of putting him down, he's no longer worth anything.
            MRT

sneaky motherfucker

Comment

Originally posted by GeoffM View Post
              I took option 2. Only, when I got him up there and finished digging the hole, I was not emotionally prepared. I tried coaxing the dog to the hole, but when he saw me load the shotgun, he started trotting (slow run, again, not a smart dog) away. I let him go, with the personal understanding that he’d either die, or be taken in by someone else.
              . . . And if he had of bitten a 5 year old child in that time, then what?

Seems your stalling for some type of rational excuse on how to put him down.

You already wasted time and gas driving to dig a hole . . .
              Man up and take him to the vet, Yes you'll have to pay.

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

Originally posted by evil_demon_01 View Post
                . . . And if he had of bitten a 5 year old child in that time, then what?

Seems your stalling for some type of rational excuse on how to put him down.

You already wasted time and gas driving to dig a hole . . .
                Man up and take him to the vet, Yes you'll have to pay.
                I can't now. He was returned by a complete stranger and the 10 year old is happy.
                If he goes missing again in the weekend while she's gone, she'll know I killed him.

I want to kill him, simply because he evaded me.
                I'll either wait a few weeks, till suspicions have died down, or till he bites me again.

Likely a few weeks. When I found out last night, my beers exacerbated my annoyance and me letting him go became the focal point of my night.
                If drinking leads to that, he won't last long at all.
                MRT

sneaky motherfucker

Comment

I chose to put my dog down after she had an enlarged heart and started to bloat. I grow attached to animals so I can honestly say I could never bring myself to shoot one just to end its life. If the animal is considered dangerous and a threat to others, I would still respect that it is a living creature and try to dispatch as humane as possible. Always option # 1 for me no matter what my financial circumstances are.

Comment

Originally posted by GeoffM View Post
                    I can't now. He was returned by a complete stranger and the 10 year old is happy.
                    If he goes missing again in the weekend while she's gone, she'll know I killed him.

I'll either wait a few weeks, till suspicions have died down, or till he bites me again.
                    No, You tell said 10 year old that you are taking the dog to the vet to have it put down.

10 year old is sad.
                    10 year old is safe.
                    10 year old understands when you explain.
                    10 year old forgets.
                    10 year old is happy.

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

Omg this thread is painful

But here is another option that you can do out in the open and call it "old age"

Option 4 ------> SLEEPING PILLS

My friends stepmom had a 18 year old poodle that was basically dying from the inside out. Dog smelled like death. Couldnt walk, barely could eat, see , smell , or hear. It was time.

We crushed up alot of sleeping pills and put it in meat cat food .Of course he ate it and never woke up(doggie overdose) . Painless and doesnt look like you went out and killed him on purpose.

Comment

Originally posted by ferenza View Post
                        Omg this thread is painful

But here is another option that you can do out in the open and call it "old age"

Option 4 ------> SLEEPING PILLS

My friends stepmom had a 18 year old poodle that was basically dying from the inside out. Dog smelled like death. Couldnt walk, barely could eat, see , smell , or hear. It was time.

We crushed up alot of sleeping pills and put it in meat cat food .Of course he ate it and never woke up(doggie overdose) . Painless and doesnt look like you went out and killed him on purpose.
                        But I only have adderall

At the rate he's going, he'll die of something within weeks.
                        He hasn't really done anything since he's been back. I think he may have
                        contracted some sickness. I asked, and judging by when the people found
                        him, he was only out in the wilderness for 1.5 days tops. I think he'd have
                        recovered by now if it was lack of energy.

At this point I'm hoping it's not sickness, because I don't want him to infect
                        my other dog.
                        MRT

sneaky motherfucker

Comment

You could always give him away to someone that will be willing to deal with him. Just because a dog bit you doesn't mean you need to kill it. There are plenty of people in the world that would gladly give the time and effort to train an aggressive dog.

Comment

Working...
                          X