X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A biting dog

Before you read any further, know:
    1. This dog has bitten before
    2. When the moment of decision came, it was more difficult emotionally then I imagined
    3. The dog is now gone

Over the weekend, one of my dogs bit me. I punted him outside and went to
    stop the bleeding. 10 minutes later, I came out of the bathroom and realized
    there were shits everywhere.

Had this house not been full of sleeping girls, he would've eaten a 12 gauge
    slug right then and there. (I don't have anything smaller)

This is where my narrative ends, and the questions begin.

Option 1:
    Take the dog to the humane society and have him euthanized.

Option 2:
    Take him to a remote area (not far from me), shoot(It's allowed there) him and bury him

Option 3:
    Give him away

Like I prefaced this with, I only have one dog now.
    I'm asking because I'd like to know what you would've done.
    MRT
    37.5 MPG, AC on, cruising at 80.
    30.0 MPG, AC on, aggressively driving around 90.
    27.5 MPG, no AC, cruising at 90 with occasional gridlock. 40 degrees Fahrenheit

Lots of DIY videos specifically for our car

Get some awesome wipers! <-- It's a DIY
    Originally posted by Tippey764
    I think driving your car naked will cause the engine to overheat
    Originally posted by deevergote
    sneaky motherfucker

Personally, for me I'd choose - Option 1.

Option 3 is out of the question, He will bite again.
    Next time it could be a young child.

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

Dig hole, throw beef jerkey in hole, call dog, cover up.

I don't see how that's inhumane, or any diffrent then the vet putting it down, but once a biter, always a biter.

So yeah option #2 for me.

Growing up, this is how just about everyone who had a sick dog would do. They would just say " I had to put my dog down". You knew what meant.
      Last edited by Soufkackicustom; 08-12-2013, 09:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Soufkackicustom View Post
        Dig hole, throw beef jerkey in hole, call dog, cover up.

I don't see how that's inhumane, or any diffrent then the vet putting it down, but once a biter, always a biter.

So yeah option #2 for me.

Growing up, this is how just about everyone who had a sick dog would do. They would just say " I had to put my dog down". You knew what meant.
        You don't see how suffocating a dog to death and shooting him and killing him instantly is or painless euthanization is different?

Comment

Originally posted by Ralphie View Post
          You don't see how suffocating a dog to death and shooting him and killing him instantly is or painless euthanization is different?
          I think he meant lure dog to the hole, shoot it, and cover up the whole thing.
          MRT

sneaky motherfucker

Comment

I know there are exceptions to all rules but if your dog has a biting problem then there are likely factors in how it was raised that have played into its temperament. Our family has six dogs and they are all treated like members of the family. I don't mean that to say that they get whatever they want because that is rarely ever the case. However, they sleep on the bed with us (when I'm back home), sit with us while we're watching TV, go walking outside with us and just generally "live" with us. If I'm alone at my parent's house and the dogs are there then walking around the house is usually accompanied by a canine parade. I say all of this to say that the way we raise dogs has never caused any foul temperament or any inclination whatsoever of unprovoked aggressive tendencies. We've had plenty before these as well throughout my life.

I'm making generalizations here but that dog obviously has a reason to be scared of people. Otherwise it would not have resorted to biting. If it has a reason to be scared of people, then you're the problem. You've made this clear when you would unhesitatingly resort to shooting it for its natural reaction to being scared. If this is the case then you probably shouldn't be caring for a dog.
            My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

take it to the humane society, I think its 20-50 bucks for the shot. They charge to dispose of it though.

IDK if it doesnt bother you... tie the dog up, (wait...)

First. Get a vid cam set up to video tape the whole thing,

2 tie the dog up after not feeding him for like 2 days (only water)

3 make some ground meat and dog food stew for the dog.

4. while he is eating get a good aim at the dog.

5 make sure all the other dogs can see

6 once its done eating... do the deed.

7. bury the dog, and cry a little inside.

every dog has its day, atleast give him a last meal. A good last meal.

Comment

I am offended by your post 8ball.

Comment

Originally posted by wildBill83 View Post
                  I am offended by your post 8ball.
                  my bad I personally would take it to the society and have it put down, the second part of the post is not serious at all. my bad thougjh

Comment

What did you do o touch to make him bite you? where you around someone elses dog to make him mark you as the enemy? Pehaps he wanted your attention or a chew-toy.

Maybe he was afraid did you hit him there is the newspaper training way how old was he or she? you have watch the signs and their expressions mainly their ears and tails they tell more than the eyes and teeth. Sorry you had to go through that.

Comment

Originally posted by GeoffM View Post
                      I think he meant lure dog to the hole, shoot it, and cover up the whole thing.
                      Yeah, now just smothering it would be fucked up

Comment

#1 would be my option. Thats a personal decision.

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -Albert Einstein

Comment

Ive taken option #1 by choice a few times, Option #2 a couple times too.

#2 feels different and you reflect on it differently. I am a hunter, so I thought I could handle it like it was no big deal. I was wrong. You care, its hard, it haunts you. Its easy to justify and say that being a man, its part of life. It doesn't have to be that way though. No need to carry that burden.
                          Originally posted by wed3k
                          im a douchebag to people and i don't even own a lambo. whats your point? we, douchbags, come in all sorts of shapes and colours.

Comment

Have you considered some type of therapy for the dog? You've said this has happened before so you are acknowledging this is a problem. If you don't care to or don't have the finances to do so, go for #1. Why waste ammunition the government wants to take from you and cause a mess.
                            '94 JDM H22A: 178whp 146wtq

If you say double dutch rudder, i'm banning you...

Comment

Well, this hasn’t gone as I had planned. I took option 2. Only, when I got him up there and finished digging the hole, I was not emotionally prepared. I tried coaxing the dog to the hole, but when he saw me load the shotgun, he started trotting (slow run, again, not a smart dog) away. I let him go, with the personal understanding that he’d either die, or be taken in by someone else.

Last night, someone found him and called my mom to go pick him up. I’m thinking inside info from someone I told. He wasn’t chipped, and his tags were missing when I took him up there. Somehow, this person figured out who the dog belonged to, despite being 20 miles away.

Now I’m pissed. Very very pissed. Everyone (except the 10 year old) was happy this dog was gone. But that’s another conversation for another day. For now, he’s still on his last chance with me. One more inkling of nibbling on me (he’s done it 3 times) and I’ll kill him on the spot.

Originally posted by Jarrett View Post
                              You've made this clear when you would unhesitatingly resort to shooting it for its natural reaction to being scared. If this is the case then you probably shouldn't be caring for a dog.
                              It wasn’t really unhesitatingly. I debated it for about an hour before calling my mom(It’s her dog). She gave me the go ahead to kill it.
                              My other dog is spectacular.

Originally posted by 8ball View Post
                              take it to the humane society, I think its 20-50 bucks for the shot. They charge to dispose of it though.

IDK if it doesnt bother you... tie the dog up, (wait...)

First. Get a vid cam set up to video tape the whole thing,

2 tie the dog up after not feeding him for like 2 days (only water)

3 make some ground meat and dog food stew for the dog.

4. while he is eating get a good aim at the dog.

5 make sure all the other dogs can see

6 once its done eating... do the deed.

7. bury the dog, and cry a little inside.

every dog has its day, atleast give him a last meal. A good last meal.
                              Ignoring the somewhat inhumane connotations, I can’t do this. I had to sneak him out before either of my sisters saw me. I can’t leave him tied up in my house for days.

Originally posted by h22sparkle View Post
                              What did you do o touch to make him bite you? where you around someone elses dog to make him mark you as the enemy? Pehaps he wanted your attention or a chew-toy.

Maybe he was afraid did you hit him there is the newspaper training way how old was he or she? you have watch the signs and their expressions mainly their ears and tails they tell more than the eyes and teeth. Sorry you had to go through that.
                              He had just let himself in. (He does this by chewing through a screen door) and I had just put him back out. I went downstairs to change, and as I was coming back up I heard him come back in. I picked him up to put him back out (He is LITERALLY that dumb) and he started barking and biting. I dropped him and began the mental preparations to crush him with my boots, but realized this was bite number 3. He’s gone.
                              I punted him outside and went to clean up the poops he left behind.

Refer to Jarrets post for the next steps.

Originally posted by toycar View Post
                              Ive taken option #1 by choice a few times, Option #2 a couple times too.

#2 feels different and you reflect on it differently. I am a hunter, so I thought I could handle it like it was no big deal. I was wrong. You care, its hard, it haunts you. Its easy to justify and say that being a man, its part of life. It doesn't have to be that way though. No need to carry that burden.
                              I’m a hunter as well, and figured it would be like you said. (As above) I let him go. Some fucker found him, and now I only see red.

Originally posted by Joey GT-R View Post
                              Have you considered some type of therapy for the dog? You've said this has happened before so you are acknowledging this is a problem. If you don't care to or don't have the finances to do so, go for #1. Why waste ammunition the government wants to take from you and cause a mess.
                              When I’m describing the dog to someone, or they’re meeting him for the first time, they often don’t believe me when I tell them this is the stupidest creature you’ve ever seen. Then they meet him. Two of my most recent examples:
                              1. There was a week when I was caring for him. 3 times a day for 7 days, I had to pick this dog up and put him outside to go poo. He can walk just fine.
                              2. I had leftover meat. I tore it in half ( I think it was a burger patty) and gave one half to my good dog. I tossed the other half to dead dog walking. It bounced off his head and landed about a foot away. He looked at it for roughly 30 seconds, until my good dog finished his and walked over and ate dumb dumbs food.

Dozens of more examples if need be.

I want to be clear: I do treat this dog well. However, he’s crossed a cardinal line, not once, but 3 times! It was not only my privilege, but my responsibility to kill him. I let him go, knowing I would never see him again.

For now, nothing will happen. But like I said earlier, first chance he gives me, he’s gone.

On a somewhat humorous note: I released him into the woods Saturday morning. He was picked up Tuesday night. Since he’s been home, he’s been sleeping the entire time.
                              And he still wants to be hand fed treats.
                              MRT

sneaky motherfucker

Comment

Working...
                              X