Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thinking about a M235i...but should I wait for the 2015 Mustang GT?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thinking about a M235i...but should I wait for the 2015 Mustang GT?

I've been researching a lot lately for a new car since I've outgrown this CB7, having owned it for the past 10 yrs and done everything I could to mod it, sans turboing and building my H22. So its time to move up.

Anyways, I got a new job located on the Ford Proving grounds out here in AZ testing braking systems on vehicles about 4 months ago and that's opened my eyes to a lot of prototype Ford products and Mustang goodness. I literally see and hear the new Shelby Mustangs on a daily basis.

But another car that has really sparked my interest is the BMW M235i. It seems like it checks all the boxes. Sporty coupe, lots of power, RWD, 6spd manual option, over 300hp, tons of fun to drive, even gets good fuel economy (22/32/25) for a turbo inline 6!

I would think they'd be about the same cost, 40-45k. I'm pretty much going for a zero option M235i and a Mustang GT.

I guess its slightly difficult to compare the two since the Mustang hasn't been released yet, but I like the idea that they're finally modernizing the car with IRS and it looks like everything is going upscale and more luxurious.

I was curious, what do you guys prefer if you were choosing between these two vehicles?

I liked reading this article and the comments below about the M235i, they even went into comparing it to the 15' Mustang GT.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...5i_first_test/

Good Review on the 228i and 235i

Last edited by Losiracer2; 03-30-2014, 07:52 AM.

member's ride thread
    93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
    99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
    91 Accord SE 176k
    97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Tough decision because both have their pros and cons.

My concern with the Mustang would be buying the first year of a brand new model as far as teething issues. IIRC the last generation of Mustang had some serious transmission issues for the first batch. I don't recall if Ford addressed the problem or not. There may be other issues that might pop up, or single year only parts, etc that might result in a revised 2016 model coming out that may be better/worse than the first year. Subaru had a huge backlash against the 2008 WRX which resulted in the far superior 2009 model.

The main problem I see with the BMW is actually finding a true base model car. Most dealers aren't going to stock that particular model and finding a dealer that will order the car for you might be tough. The other thing about BMW is operating costs. The best I can tell they're silly expensive to maintain if you use the dealer (a co-worker spent $600 to have her battery replaced) and I don't know how hard/easy they are to self-maintain.

Otherwise al things being equal see which one gives you the best driving experience and go from there.

Comment

Mustang hands down.

Mike has a good point about first year any car really, but obv some Makes have a better record then others.

Everyone on here know's im practical, and not a huge fan of the European lux models. Way too overpriced, and way to expensive to maintain. EVEN if you're making money hand over fist, why throw it away? Save it and invest it or use to enjoy other hobbies.

$600 for a battery is just silly.

Anyway, I have a soft spot for Mustangs. The GT500 is one of my fav cars ever.

For a while I wasn't happy with them, but the latest batches of them, especially the new shelby and the GT are god damn sexy.

I would gladly walk out right now and buy a GT if I could afford it. Some of the best looking cars I have seen in quite a while.

lest we forget the Supersnake-

and I know those are 2013, I checked out the 15 and Im not feeling it. It is too softened for my liking. When I think Mustang, I want sharp corners, hard curves. Chiseled. It's a fucking Mustang. The 15, while probably a very nice car, just aesthetics wise looks to smoothed out for me.

That's my .2 anyway.
      Last edited by Ralphie; 03-30-2014, 09:01 AM.

Comment

I would imagine that the BMW would be the more refined vehicle. If you're buying brand new, the "costly to own" stigma surrounding higher end German brands is allbut negated.
        The best thing to do is test drive to see which appeals it you the most.

Comment

"costly to own" can apply to alot of cars

but in my experience used BMW's can have problems that can be very costly to fix, I.E. brakes,turbos,transmissions..etc

even some of the new BMW's can have problems and recalls that make ownership questionable

IMPO, go with the Mustang
          http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...82408002-1.jpg

Comment

B M W

Form.Follows.Function

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
              I would imagine that the BMW would be the more refined vehicle. If you're buying brand new, the "costly to own" stigma surrounding higher end German brands is allbut negated.
              The best thing to do is test drive to see which appeals it you the most.
              The next Rustang is supposed to be world class and I believe it.

I would either do a used 1M, or hold out for a 2016-2017 Mustang GT. M235i... blech. Open diff, no thanks.

Originally posted by lordoja
              im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

Mustang. I love bmw but the new naming moniker has gotten to me, besides that te cost to own ANY bmw is expensive and the newer models are more or so just computers on wheels.

The prestige of any bmw will far outweigh the mustang. Regardless of the model.

The mustang will be more cost effective to own. That alone sells me.

Comment

I doubt the cost to own on the BMW is going to come greatly into play. I believe they offer a 3yr/36k free maint with each new vehicle, including brake pads, oil changes, filters, etc.

I will do my own oil changes past that point, I'm a mechanical engineer, I can figure most of that out. Plus I've got a lot of master techs I work with that could assist if it becomes an issue. Its just an oil and filter and maybe a couple plastic undertrays, so it may be a little more work, but I think I'll like tinkering with it. Worst case, I'll have to buy a bunch of torx bits. My friend who's got a 335i went to the dealer and paid close to 200 for his oil change, I just about laughed, when he could've easily done it himself for 50-75 in his driveway. But they do last 10k miles so quite long.

I'm mainly looking for something more luxurious and upmarket in addition to sporty and fun.

I'm worried the new mustang will be a bit too cheap and plastic clad everywhere and in order to get to the level I'd like to equip it with I'm worried I'd have to option it well into the mid to high 40s. I think the BMW starts at 43k and already comes well equipped. Some M performance parts would be nice and they are making an optional LSD as a tuner option.

I feel like this car would also be a great tuner car that will take well to mods if my friend's 335i is any indication. He's added just about 120hp to his car and all he's done is a flash an intake. Runs mid 12s all day long.

But who knows, maybe the ECOboost Mustang will also be tossed into the mix, 330hp 2.3L might be fun after tuned a bit more? Idk 4cy and Mustang just seems wrong though.

Oh another good point to make, I forgot to mention....since I work on the Ford proving grounds, I'm sure I would could get a discount. A lady I work with got 20% off her 2013 Taurus she bought. But keeps complaining about the right from strut creaking even after going to the dealer 3 times to get it fixed. She thinks its a lemon. So that quality control does worry me and that's not even a first year model car, its well into its 3rd year.

member's ride thread
                  91 Accord SE 176k

Comment

Originally posted by gloryaccordy View Post
                    The next Rustang is supposed to be world class and I believe it.

I would either do a used 1M, or hold out for a 2016-2017 Mustang GT. M235i... blech. Open diff, no thanks.
                    The M235i has the 1M engine and 8sp sport automatic, basically sounds like a DSG shifts are lightning quick and was faster on the track I read somewhere by a sec or so.

1M is still 55-60k though, WAY too much, not to mention the 235 looks a lot better. I can't get over the 1 series front end, its hideous, no matter how nice those wide rear fender flares look.

member's ride thread
                    91 Accord SE 176k

Comment

It amazes me that the M235i weighs in at about 3500lbs. That's heavy for a small car! The current Mustang weighs about the same (can't find definite specs on the new one.)

I agree, it won't cost much to own the BMW as long as the warranty is in effect.

The Mustang is a good car now, for the most part, and the new model is promising to be extremely good. Ford's cars these days are waaay better than their offerings a decade or so ago.
                      Seeing as you work at the Ford proving grounds, you might do well to get a Ford.

The GT is going to suck on gas. Reports are showing about 18-19mpg average (my CTS-V gets me about 16mpg, and it's painful!)

Still, 420+hp for a 3500lb car is better than 330hp My CTS-V is only 400hp (well, some minor mods bringing it to an estimated 430), and weighs at least 300lbs more than the Mustang... and it's scary fast. A lighter car with more power would be terrifyingly fast! (depending on the roads near you, and your intended use, it might actually have too much power...)

Comment

Originally posted by Losiracer2 View Post
                        The M235i has the 1M engine and 8sp sport automatic, basically sounds like a DSG shifts are lightning quick and was faster on the track I read somewhere by a sec or so.

1M is still 55-60k though, WAY too much, not to mention the 235 looks a lot better. I can't get over the 1 series front end, its hideous, no matter how nice those wide rear fender flares look.
                        I was talking about a used 1M

Plastic shouldnt be a problem in the Mustang. If you are worried about that check one out before you buy one.

I have driven a few cars with paddle shift boxes (F430, 458, GT-R). To me, unless you go to the track a lot, stickshift is still better. I test drove a 370Z with the 7AT... for an auto it's pretty damn good. But I still prefer the 6MT in my 350Z, and its stick/clutch are far from perfect. I am pretty sure the M235i is available with the 6MT though.

Other thing is the M235i has the engine sound generator I think, which just offends my gear head sensibilities. And the Mustang GT is a good, simple, pure car. NA V8, comfy but basic cabin, and now that IRS and much better looking exterior design. Really though both are great cars and you prob can't go wrong either way.

im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                          Still, 420+hp for a 3500lb car is better than 330hp My CTS-V is only 400hp (well, some minor mods bringing it to an estimated 430), and weighs at least 300lbs more than the Mustang... and it's scary fast. A lighter car with more power would be terrifyingly fast! (depending on the roads near you, and your intended use, it might actually have too much power...)
                          Power/speed is a funny thing. My bike does 0-60 in ~4 and 0-100 in ~10. But now after 2 yrs/10K miles I feel like I'm ready for more lmao. But strangely, I feel like my Z is about quick enough. I wish it had more revs and a little more top end, but its midrange is pretty crazy and where I spend most of my time.

Comment

I agree, actually. My CTS-V is absurdly powerful, to the point where I can't really even use it. Pushing it sucks down the gas like crazy, and the nearly 2-ton car sits on some pretty pricey tires and shocks... things I'd rather not abuse!
                            My Fit, on the other hand, is lightweight and riding on cheap stuff. The shifter is quick and easy (unlike the clunky shifter in my CTS-V). Although the Fit has nearly 1/4 the CTS-V's power, it might actually be more fun to drive.

With curb weights being similar between the Mustang and M235i, the difference may be less noticeable. I'd expect the BMW to have a much nicer shifter (though my only manual BMW experience is with my girl's Mini Cooper S, and that thing feels more like my Cadillac than my Fit in terms of shifting!)

I agree that the engine sound generator thing is crap. That bugs me!
                            I also agree that manual is better than automatic (or automated manual.) These days, the autos are faster than stick, and it seems that many of them are even better on gas... but there's a certain connection to be had with a manual transmission that you just can't have with an auto.

Honestly, I'd say it all comes down to a test drive. See what you like being in the most. See which one feels right. Both have plenty of power (and plenty of options for more power, should you want it.)

Comment

Originally posted by Losiracer2 View Post
                              I will do my own oil changes past that point, I'm a mechanical engineer, I can figure most of that out.
                              good luck with that, ive talked to a lot of engineers that think they know what to do but can't even turn a screwdriver.
                              I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Working...
                              X