No announcement yet.

Man i-phone woes lol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wildbill, you sure have it out for the iPhones. I think people would be more open to your input if it were not for the feeling that you are just out to drag Apples name through the mud. By this point I think you have lost all effectiveness and instead it looks more like you are on a biased bashing spree. Apple phones simply are not just an expensive coaster for your glass of tea. The way you put it it's like they are not even functional. And people like myself who have used them for a while now know with absolute certainty that they are not as bad as you perceive them to be. Not even remotely close. That's just my observations anyways on this thread.

Everything deserves some credit. And I am learning people get very defensive about their preferred wireless devices. Not from anyone in particular but evidently this is serious stuff to some. I just want a phone that always works. Mine does that. I'm sure other phones do as well but with hundreds of dollars I'm not going to gamble when I know exactly what I'm getting with an iPhone.

Comment

On the contrary. I'm not bashing Apple nor people for their preference of the device. To each their own. I also never said they don't function. They actually function on the same level as Android and Windows and even BlackBerry devices.

It's the price per hardware that is my sticking point. Would you pay iPhone 6 prices for a Nexus 4 with an Apple sticker on it? Apple is an amazing marketing company. I've used their products and my kids still use their products.

My problem with Apple is their historical approach to using out of date technology and limiting functionality unless you buy another periphreal device their competitors offer included with their devices and one day it might again ween them out of another market like what happened with the eMac. In a free market economy this is bad as competition drives results and innovation.

I was just responding to a post that I was quoted in. Any response will sound defensive or offensive and I try to find middle ground.

I actually emplore Apple to do what they claim and produce a revolutionary product for a premium price like Steve Jobs would have wanted.
      Last edited by wildBill83; 10-03-2014, 03:41 PM.

Comment

That would definitely be a contrary view point compared to previously.

No, I would not pay iPhone 6 prices for a Nexus 4 with an Apple sticker on it. That is a great point.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
          I think there have been 9 reports of iPhones breaking in someone's pocket.
          it's a rigid device in a tight, flexible pocket. Of course there's a risk of breaking it!
          What do you expect if it's made in China lol

Comment

Originally posted by wildBill83 View Post
            Funny how you say that everything I said was based on opinion. Actually everything I stated was based on FACTS. Hardware facts, software facts, comparisons and studies. I'm actually a well educated consumer. The items you stated were in fact based on your opinions.
            You are having trouble separating fact from opinion, or rather trying to post only facts that support you on a limited basis. At best, the "studies" you quote were empirical and on a limited basis. You are then taking those limited studies and trying to apply them universally as gospel.

For starters, it is a FACT that my iPhone crashes and has fewer problems than my Android did. Anecdotal to me, which is why I didn't attempt to state it as fact. Unlike you.

As for actual facts, you posted a 3 year old link, but didn't really provide the balanced data from the other side. You then also claim all this non-sense of bricked phones and widespread issue, when the actual sample size was several hundred out of several million. I am sure you don't need me to do the math about what % were affected. My transition to iOS8 was completely routine with no issues whatsoever. Latest reports also have iOS 8 penetration at about 46% of iOS devices, without increasing reports of issues. The other interesting fact about that is that it is significantly less than the adoption rate of iOS 6 and 7 by this point after release, which tells me that Apple users pay a little more attention than you think they do and aren't updating until it is fixed (the same thing "informed" Android users would do with a bad release).

http://news.yahoo.com/apple-software...165837853.html

1: I haven't reset or restarted my Nexus 5 in nearly a year, it just works, and by reviews works more reliably than the Apple alternative. Maybe you should try a new flagship device running pure Android so you have a real frame of reference. Also statistically iPhone hasn't been more reliable since 2012, and the functional argument is a joke considering it doesn't have many functions in the first place. The facts are that the iPhone is less capable due to hardware and software limitations.
            I had a "flagship" device running Android. At the time I bought it, it was the newest, highest tech and most advanced Android phone on the market. It had nothing but glowing reviews. It also retailed at $600 like those "overpriced" iPhones you keep speaking of (which we will deal with a little more later ) The difference between my "flagship" Android and my "overpriced" iPhone is that my iPhone BLOWS the Android out of the water for what I am doing, and it is a HELL of a lot more reliable and does what I need better, for the same RETAIL money. Oh yeah, and the iPhone runs like the day I bought it, which the Droid couldn't do 9 months after release (same use patterns, etc).

Besides, to be honest, the whole concept of a "flagship" Android device is really just a B.S. scapegoat for trying to explain away the Android devices that work like shit so that Android fans can use a limited subset of devices to "prove" that Android is better than Apple. Here's a consideration for you: When I buy an Apple, I KNOW it is a "flagship" device, because they are all "flagship" devices, which implies all of the reliability and support of a "flagship" device. The term "flagship" device didn't even become colloquial until Droid fans had to find a way to explain away all of the unreliable and buggy Android devices, which may not be well known until months and months after release.

I'm not sure if you have looked at the review for my phone but the reviewers are quotes as saying things like "it just works" "easy to use" "fast intuitive interface" and "most reliable phone on the market". Mind you my phone was released last year and has twice the hardware specs and features of an iPhone.
            Where is the long term durability/reliability data for your phone? I know many people who are using iPhones that are much older than what the average Droid user seems to be using.

Also, as an "informed" consumer, you will probably learn to take reviews with a grain of salt. Car and Driver might say the Ford Taurus is the best car in a specific comparo under specific limited conditions, but that doesn't mean it is always better than the Accord for all people in all conditions. It sure as hell doesn't speak to longer term metrics. Reviews are only valid when considered within the constraints of the review. Of course, as an informed consumer, I am sure you already knew that.

For the record, I can't remember the last time I had to restart either of my iDevices due to software issues, so do with that what you may.

And no, I didn't read any reviews for your phone. My current phone is functioning normally, and I am not in the market for a new one. When the time comes for a new phone, I will pay attention to reviews at that time because A) I have better stuff to do with my time, and B) by the time I am shopping for a new phone, yours will be obsolete.

You seem to make the VERY false assumption that because I bought an Apple automatically means I know nothing about technology, am incapable of reading a review, or don't know anything about anything. That is another farce created by Android users to justify lumping all Apple users into a category of ignorance. The mere assumption that Apple users are automatically not informed is actually pretty hysterical.

2: My point about the release is that everyone and their brother claims the software is more stable because they program it for their hardware and test only on their hardware. Well today some software designers were released from Apple I'm sure for not testing and debugging code on their own devices. Android has released buggy packages, but they also will give you a way to downgrade to return to a factory working condition until the next release is out (Android also releases more incremental fixes and updates to address issues than Apple).
            You are confusing release reliability with long term reliability. Again, you are not really seeing the whole picture (your words not mine).

Every single version of Android (including the various releases of 4.4) have had a litany of release issues, bugs and problems. To try and crucify Apple for it is silly. That said, Apple reacted very appropriately.

1) They pulled the release after only a few hundred (out of approximately 6 million) had upgraded

2) They offered a way for those users to revert back to iOS 7 (even though you are in here trying to claim they didn't)

3) They released 8.0.2 less than a week hours later, which rectified the issue as well as clearing up a bunch of other issues.

Of course, you also ignore that the "bricking" issue was pretty much exclusive to the 6 users and didn't seem to affect many 5 or 5S users. In fact, I had zero issues with the update. Some of the app updates were a little buggier, but that was only incrementally so, and it was solved with 8.0.2. I also have to disclose that once I actually updated all of my apps to the latest versions, it was much less buggy, which means the issue was probably mostly due to iOS7 apps running iOS8.

For you to assume that I'm a dumb adolescent who is biased for opinionated reasons is just laughable. I'm in my 30's and have also been building and working on computers since I was a pre-teenager. Age has nothing to do with this argument. No matter how much older you think you are than me I can promise you that turd polishing hasn't changed much from your day to my day. And there is only so much you can polish an iTurd.
            I assume that you are a dumb adolescent because assuming that anybody who came to a different conclusion that you is A) Less informed, B) less knowledgeable or C) couldn't possibly have an outlook as valid as yours is what an adolescent would do. To fuck with you, I should have just said "but...I never called you that." That is basically what you have been doing.

I am not that much older than you. However, I am apparently a lot more open minded. Unfortunately, age doesn't serve to open the mind. Don't believe me? Referring to all Apple Products as "iTurds" shows just how close minded you are about it.

I called you an adolescent and names to prove a point. You clearly aren't capable of getting the point, but that doesn't change it.

The point is that when you call anyone who uses an Apple product "stupid," "less informed" etc, it is effectively the same as me calling you names. The difference between you and me, is that rather than not having the balls to do it directly and I will make sure there is no mixed message.

M$ makes productivity suites for Apple, and M$ devices and Android OS, like I said the app argument is a moot point.
            Don't start back tracking on me now. Your point was about how limited Apple was for a lot of things. I used Apple products in their most limited roll, which was trying to interface with an IBM IT infrastructure that was based on Windows and Office. If Apple can work and shine in a situation that even Microsoft can't operate in (even though they created it), then I am inclined to believe the assertions about Apple's limits are exaggerated. The ONLY infurating thing I have found with Apple that keeps coming up is the lack of Flash support. I have used it everywhere else (and most likely for roles that you wouldn't even have thought of) and they have so far been pretty much flawless.

As far as my experience with Apple goes, I have owned the following devices:
            iPod
            iPod Touch
            iPod Nano
            iPad 2
            Both kids have an iPad3 for school
            iPhone 3
            iPhone 4
            I have used iMacs and other Apple products as well.
            Then you know they aren't complete pieces of shit. Unless you buy shit that doesn't work...

I also have the following devices at home in use currently:
            Two AndroidTVs
            We have an Android TV at home. It is a pile of shit. Crashes constantly. You can't even search the web without it crashing at least every 30 seconds or so.

The best part? Google tech support says it is working fine when asked how to fix the issues. We got an Apple TV to do most of the same stuff minus browse the internet (which is an Apple failure that I will never understand). At least it will mirror a Mac.

The way I see it, Google is the new Microsoft, and everytime I have dealt with their tech support, I think that more and more.

As for Droid, I went from Nokias and flip phones to a Blackberry and then the only Android I ever owned. The Android couldn't produce results beyond 6 months into my phone contract, so I had no desire to go back. You accuse all Apple users of nothing being "heavy" users or whatever other term it was you cooked up, but the fact of the matter is that my phone connects to EVERYTHING. I spend most of my life on the road, so I absolutely depend on that phone for my job. I simply can't function without a phone, and right now, Apple is doing a fine job of doing what I need. Due to the critical importance of that connection, you are damn right I am biased. I was biased against Apple initially, but Android couldn't pull it off reliably. Apple has been. Therefore, I would make my purchase again in a heartbeat. The level of integration makes that even better, because I can work on the road seamlessly from my phone to my iPad.

If and when Apple can't deliver, then I will probably look more seriously at something else.

Oh, and for the record, when I bought my current iPhone, I was initially looking at a Samsung Droid. But based on previous experience with Droid, and the relatively small price difference, I upsold myself to a product I KNEW I was going to like.

Asus TF700T
            Nexus 7
            Nexus 5
            2 Linux terminals
            1 Linux server
            1 Windows 7 media center
            2 Windows 8 laptops
            1 Windows 7 laptop
            Raspberry Pi
            Why are you throwing PC's into it? If you want to swing that list, you better have a whole lot more than what you have listed here...

I have no problem with using different brands and I am not about to limit myself to the most limited of brands on the market. I'm a hardware guy and will always be loyal to who has the most bang for the buck.
            I don't either. However, just because MY priorities lead me to Apple, doesn't mean that I am somehow close minded or incapable. Especially since I started out HATING Apple, and tried every single other avenue before getting there. This non-sensical "all Apple fans only use Apple because they are stupid" is bullshit (yet another reason you are being adolescent). It is much more likely it is because Apple EARNED their admiration. Let's not forget that just a few years ago, Apple was a non-player in every way imaginable. They must have done something right, because they sure as hell didn't force people to buy millions and millions of their products, nor did they force people to make the iPod, iPhone, iPad, iMac, MacBook etc successful. They certainly didn't make people buy the iPhone 6 when there was a bevy of Droid products available.

As for your hardware assertions, that is still clinging to the age old Microsoft mentallity. "My processor is faster for less money." "I have more memory." Etc. In my experience, there is a lot more to "bang for the buck" than just specs. In the car world we would call that bench racing.

Of course, the PC's I used to build were typically faster and more reliable than my friends (often with much newer hardware) because I paid attention to the details.

PC's are favored for certain reasons, but they are not all the result of Apple's inferiority.

I have been a gamer since we had our first 8086 (everyone else wanted to name drop how extensive their hardware and software experience was, so I will join in).

The first reason (and the main reason) PC's overtook Mac for gaming was due to their open source nature. Software development was far less restricted, as was hardware configuration. In fact, the open-ness of hardware/software configuration was the whole premise for the PC in the first place.

However, as the systems and options became infinitely more complicated, PC's greatest strength also became its weakness as it was harder to get systems that didn't have compatibility issues. Microsoft was no help in that regard, using the basic DOS/Windows programming language all the way through at least Windows XP, and obviously they didn't troubleshoot and problem solve as much, nor were there systems as robust as they could have been. In fact, one of the main reasons that a PC NEEDS more hardware spec to perform as well as a Mac is because the fundamental software is a lot more complex and cumbersome. Microsoft just kept adding and patching what they had, rather than reprogramming from scratch. This lead to a lot more cumbersome software. That came directly from a guy who programmed for Microsoft for the 25 years they were most successful, so do with it what you will.

The second reason was that you (as a gamer) had more freedom to configure the PC in a way that suited you. You could do super cheap, low spec clone, or you could do top of the line gaming machine. Apple didn't have as many options. However, with the vast majority of gaming development being done on the PC, it was a moot point anyway. However, fast forward to today, and who is kicking the shit out of PC? Dedicated game consoles that are NOT open source that have hardware that is a FRACTION as strong as your average desktop.

And actually, you are looking at Apple's hardware specs completely backward. You say it as though Apple can't buy the same hardware PC is buying. Before they switched to Intel processors (HARK, you didn't know I knew that did you!) there MIGHT have been some credibility to that argument. The part of the "big picture" you are missing, is that Apple doesn't have to spec the latest hardware to keep up precisely because the software requires fewer resources.

Again, my gripe is that Apple is not selling their products for the right price. Please review my prior posts. For what it is the cost is not justifiable for someone like me that is a power user. You are obviously not a power user like I am, so for you it may have been justifiable.
            More total B.S.

The retail on my Droid was $600. The retail on my 64GB iPhone was $599. The iPhone was superior in every way to the Droid, and had 2 years of inflation to boot. So how exactly is that so overpriced? Compared to retail on the Samsung I was looking at, it was also about the same.

The part of this whole equation that you are having to neglect (because it would be counter to your argument and you KNOW it), is that probably 99.9% of all iPhone users are getting theirs on an upgrade plan (just like 99.9% of Droid users) and are paying nowhere near retail for their phones. They might be paying a little bit more, but whether that is worth it is up to them not you. They don't automatically become inferior because you made a different choice. More close minded propaganda.

Oh, and for the record, my iPhone has been infinitely more durable than my Droid was, it has a metal case and has been tougher so far.

"You are obviously not a power user like I am." Haha. Really? Is this like the farcical "flagship" hardware argument?

What exactly do you define as a "power user" because I have a hard time seeing a phone used to some magically greater extent than I am using mine?

I have already stated that I use my phone all day, everyday, and for every facet of my life, so what exactly are you doing with yours that nobody else is? In fact, if I CAN'T do something on my phone, I can actually get fired for it. I am guessing you don't have that problem though do you?

If it were all the same I would really have stuck with Blackberry if they didn't shoot themselves in the foot by being too proprietary.
            Blackberry also had their disadvantages. The phone worked great, when used as they intended. However, the user interface was much more complex, and at the time I was there, they wouldn't do much outside of what Blackberry wanted them to do.

The reason Apple was successful in the first place was that they took every dimension of the Blackberry and improved it. Then they integrated with everything else. They stole so much market share they couldn't see straight. Then Droid came along and took what was left. Now it is pretty much Apple vs Droid, and the new iPhone is so successful that Apple is stealing market share back, which probably means some Droid users are going the other way. Maybe they were Apple converts to Droid, or maybe they are Droid converts to Apple. Who knows?

I'm still waiting for that intellectual beating. If your argument is that it works great as a phone and does what a phone should then why not go and buy a $20 nokia brick, it's battery will last you longer and it was more reliable than any smart phone I ever used.
            See, more adolescent bullshit. Except that you try to pretend you aren't doing it. Do you think I haven't had MULTIPLE Nokia bricks? My first, second and third phones were Nokia bricks, and let me tell you, if they still made them, I probably would use them. But don't you worry, because my first cell phone experience well predates those nokias.

I'm not claiming to be smart, I am saying that consumers are dumb on the average though and there are a TON of sheep out there. I prefer the terms "informed shopper". I know what I want in my product purchases and that is what I buy. Again the claim that Apple products are faster, smoother and more reliable is nothing more than hearsay and in fact goes against independent factual studies and physical hardware limitations. Wait for the next Nexus device to come out and test drive it, you might have a different opinion.
            Bullshit. Yes you are. Your posts have been littered with "informed consumer" claims, as well as "facts and studies" (which if I really wanted to spend the time I could explain to you how statistically questionable they are as well as not being nearly as universal as you buy into them), as well as claims of "sheeple," Flocks, or however you want to define them. Basically, you are scapegoating anybody who doesn't agree with you as being of inferior intellect.

And you are doing it again right here. "I'm not saying I am smart, I am just saying that everyone else is dumb." If you are going to make such statements, at least have enough sack to say it in a way that isn't passive aggressively defeating. Let me tell you a little something I have learned in several decades of dealing with cocky dickheads who all think they have a bigger penis than everyone else. The first thing I learned is that those who assert themselves to be above average were usually the first to fall on the "below average" scale. I chalk it up to attitude rather than ability, because I have dealt with some really brilliant people who were tripped up by their "superior" attitude.

Oh and for the record, there is a 50% chance you are "below average," so I would recommend proceeding with caution before you declare victory. Not intended as a personal attack, it is just a mathematical fact that no more than 50% of the people can be above average. If you really look at it scientifically on a standard distribution, it is actually significantly less, because 50% assumes that nobody actually ranks average.

I actually went on the defensive and never called you a name or spoke in a degrading way to you. Call me a snob or whatever you want, but it still don't justify you spent more for less in the end.
            No you didn't. As soon as you made any claim about being superior in your "informed" decision making abilities you went on the offensive. Making a statement about how superior your intellect is doesn't equal defensive. Especially not when you start hurling indirect insults. You guys ALWAYS pull the same bullshit. You say something underhanded because you figure you are so brilliant nobody will be smart enough to catch on. Then you continue to fling said insults and then when I throw insults back (in an obviously more direct manner) you get all butthurt and start crying about how you weren't doing anything wrong etc. If I had a $ for every time that happened on here. Oh and FYI, just a little secret that all the "informed" people here couldn't figure out over the years: if I am insulting you, it is because you have already done this.

All hardware has problems, maybe you don't see the light. Apple is just as vulnerable to slowdowns and reduced battery life as an Android, even more so on a lesser model droid.
            So if I like the way Apple does the rest of the stuff better, than why buy a Droid?

He admits to being hard on his device, and his device is not a new device meaning it may not have all of the software optimizations and the fact that it's not a Nexus or flagship device it is really not comparable to an iPhone. A Nexus device is developed in much the same fashion as an iPhone, so it would be much more comparable as competition as that is what it was made for. I'm just saying you got to look at the whole picture. It can happen to an Apple too, I have had it happen to me.
            And yet, if an Apple user is hard on their device and anything happens, then I bet your first response is "its a piece of shit." You've already basically insinuated the same thing in here several times. Funny how that would be hypocritical no? The only person I know whose Apple shit doesn't last is my friend. And fucking drops shit from high places, backs over it etc. I have seen his apple shit keep working with screens that were so smashed you couldn't even read it. But when a Droid breaks it is just because it is used hard? LOL.

I never tried to disprove your opinion, just share facts for hardware and give my opinion on the matter. deevergote is allowing us to express opinions here, and I am only taking advantage of it. If you felt you had to attack me then maybe you had a fear of losing your own opinion to my convincing facts. Never did I once target you and say "YOU MUST CHANGE OR DIE AS A FOOL!".
            Again, yes you did. You just weren't overt about it. Apparently a major failing in the public education system in the US is the reality of IMPLIED meaning. This another thing I wish I had $ for every time it happened. You didn't come right out and say it, but you IMPLIED it with statements like "overpriced." "Sheeple" and whatever other such terms you used. Then you tried to back it up with all the bullshit about "informed consumer" etc when referring to yourself, again implying a superior perspective while claiming any perspective other than that was somehow inferior.

Again with the name calling, does eThuggin' make you feel any bigger or smarter? I know it isn't proving that iPhones are superior to everything else in the world.
            Nope. I just want to make sure that when I hurl an insult your way, it can't be misconstrued as something else.

The obsolete link was in context to the post about the point that iOS became less stable than Android. I see how you skipped over the current link from Forbes that was posted today:

Also, Android has NEVER released an update that caused a device to stop working, and as I stated earlier there is a recovery mode on androids to get you back to stock so at least the user, if educated, can fix it themselves if it ever did happen. And in reality the amount of device defects from Apple is in around the same range as Nexus device defects. So apples to apples there. Defect wise it is a crap shoot either brand or OS.
            All right Mr. Context (and "informed" consumer):

Perhaps you can explain these to me:

https://productforums.google.com/for...us/KgCUkHnDZLw

You can also do a basic Google search of "Android update issues" to find a veritable plethora of problems that every single version of Android has had when released, including on your beloved "flagship" phones. There were over 63 million hits, so I am sure I can find more if you want.

If Android has never bricked a phone, how the fuck did that happen? Stock (non-rooted), "flagship" phone, no damage, no other reason for the phone to stop working.

I usually try to avoid absolute terms like "never" because there is almost always an exception. I guess you need to go find more information Mr "informed consumer" because I found that in the first 10 links after less than 10 seconds searching. And there were MANY more. I damn sure bet I could find a whole bunch more, especially if I widen my attack on Android like you have on iOS. I mean, if you really want a pissing match, I would be happy to go find issues as far back as Gingerbread, because I KNOW that one had problems, and it is in the same timeframe you are using (~3 years). I also know that Jelly Bean had a fair number of issues when it was released, and required a lot of updating.

I also believe you are using the term "bricked" incorrectly when referring to the iOS 8 issues, as the phones weren't able to make calls, but they didn't suddenly become unusable unrecoverable devices to the best of my knowledge.

The definition of "bricked" is just as it sounds. It becomes a completely useless inanimate object that can't do anything but hold paper down. The worst I saw with iOS 8.0.1 was the loss of cellular connectivity (this is a big one), the loss of fingerprint ID and software crashes. I must be uninformed, but I waited a few days to see what was going to happen because if Microsoft taught me one thing over 25 years, it was wait and see.

And finally, you talk about Android needing updates as Google somehow being responsive (rather than shitty, as you claim with any iOS problem). What I have found was that Apple's iOS device updates are a lot better at fixing the majority of the complaints in fewer updates. I have had friends that had many persistent issues after updating their droids, sometimes multiple updates in fact. Updating because it ain't working is updating because it ain't working. Maybe Android needs more updates because it is buggier? Nah. No remote chance of that...

What it REALLY amounts to is an opportunity for Android users to come out and thump their chest about how stupid Apple users are. I don't really care what people choose. I have done both, and I had nothing but problems with Android, and I have had a smooth experience with Apple. As such, I will probably give Apple more consideration till such time as Apple can no longer deliver what I am looking for.

You must have missed my list of Apple devices I have owned and tried.... Also a mac doesn't stomp a PC on graphics, never has never will. It does have great design suites for graphic designers and video and picture editing suites that are great, but then there are the PC offerings that are just as good just laid out differently. The Adobe suite on PC can do wonders.
            A PC with NVIDIA Quadro graphics cards is what I use for my professional Engineering rig for CAD applications, it is the defacto standard for a reason. And as far as video games go, mac vs PC is a no brainer.
            Again, not completely true.

1) The resource drain of Windows has already been discussed. Open source software in general is more cumbersome from a hardware resources standpoint (you need more resources to achieve the same result) because it is by function more complicated.

2) I have been gaming on PC's since the 1980's, when you couldn't really call it "gaming." I am well aware of what I am saying.

For gaming graphics, PC tends to hold an edge because of the multitude of hardware options. I already said that.

However, you confuse your engineering use with the rest of the graphics industry. Engineering uses primarily PC, not least because most companies also use PC, and it is easier to integrate PC with PC. I have a friend who has been an engineer for year and they use MatLab and CATIA frequently. Most of those are run on PC.

However, when you get into your higher end, dedicated graphic houses, the industry standard is Mac. For both static graphics, graphic design, animation, and video production. I know this because my sister works in the movie industry and they all use Mac. The only exception is places like Industrial Light and Magic who basically has their own completely custom setup, which last I checked they were using SGI machines. However, the reality is that above the very entry level of graphics and production, where the houses are running multi-million dollar productions, top end campaigns etc, the industry standard quickly becomes Apple.

I have the latest version of Adobe CC and I use it frequently. On a Windows 7 PC that has similar specs to my Dad's MacBook Pro. Guess what? Adobe CC on his machine is faster and smoother and less buggy. Oh what, you though because I disagreed with you I automatically had no experience? Oops. Also, the newest version of Adobe Premiere CC is about where Final Cut Pro was roughly 7 years ago. Haven't tried Adobe CC on my sister's old MacBook, but it ran Final Cut Pro with no issues. Oh and for the record, although I am an Adobe fan, Final Cut Pro is the standard in the industry by which others are judged.

Her college (one of the best audio/video industry schools in the world) was using Mac standard product for their computer animation, graphic design, and audio production equipment.

You really need to go back and re-read my posts. Maybe you somehow missed where I said things like:

I don't assume all Apple users are dumb and I don't "denigrate" them, whatever that means, and I never said they couldn't be as smart as me. Somehow, trying to point out facts and educate some consumers makes me a charleton and I'm fine with it. Call me what ever names make you fell better.
            I am well skilled in reading comprehension, but thanks, I didn't miss a thing.

You can claim you didn't say whatever you want, but really you did. You just weren't up front about it.

Originally posted by Ralphie View Post
            To be fair, it's only a month old, but also to be fair, my Motorolla Razr maxx which is known for it's amazing battery life, was still lasting just as long when it started to have memory problems.

From a software side, Android was fine. The physical memory went bad and the phone would reboot- not Androids fault.

In fact, I have been using Android since 1.5

I have seen some buggy devices, and I have seen hardware issues.

It really is true, if you stick with the top tier devices, ESPECIALLY the Nexus devices that come straight from Google, you will not have any problems, I promise you.

Droids(Motorolla) are notorious for having issues. I tried to stick with them, and I only got the razr maxx because I wanted to not have to worry about charging but around 2 years, it started freezing up and rebooting, which I have experienced on all the Motorolla phones I have owned.

In contrast, I have had the Nexus 7 from Google made by Asus from it's release. So maybe 2 years now at least? Same device. 16Gb version. Not a single problem. It just works, and it has not slowed down one bit. Its got a quad core processor and handles graphic intensive games like a champ. I would never ever take an iPad over a Nexus tablet, and I own a Macbook.

My wife has an iPad mini and I have used it extensively.

My opinion on iOs has always been the same. People like Scott know what they want, and they want a device that has 0 issues and just works everytime. Apple provides that.

They're good products, obv because we are all in here arguing LOL.

I just personally like Android because of my aforementioned apple gripes. Price is one, and the apps being strewn about is another.

Honestly I got an Android phone before the iPhone had come out and so I just always liked Android. I COULD use an iPhone if Android went away tomorrow, and id be ok, but I prefer the design and UI of Android to Apple. I also like the ability to customize it and features that Andoid has. No more no less.

Apple tends to get the better apps first, but Android has the features first usually.

I guess im more of a features guy then an apps guy you know?
            I hope it continues to work well for you. Like I said, my Android functioned flawlessly for about 6 months. Then the little bugs started. Then they got bigger. By the time I got rid of it, it was sending texts to the wrong people, deleting shit and couldn't go a single day without crashing so badly I had to reboot it. I didn't root it or do anything else that would remove responsibility from Android. I even went so far as to remove all of my apps, restore it and start over to no avail. The only hardware issue I ever had with it was a really short battery life, which the phone was notorious for as it aged.

Here is a philosophical question: If you HAD started on iPhone instead of Android 1.5, and had become comfortable in the iOS universe, do you think that would change how you feel about how easy Android is to use?

It wasn't so much that I didn't like anything about Android, it was more that I couldn't afford to have an unreliable phone, since I depended on it for my job. So yes, in that aspect you are correct, I just want something that works, and so far my Apple products always have. Apple has also been unquestionably superior in standing behind their product when it wasn't working correctly. It was actually an incident with my original iPod Classic and Apple's customer service that really made me look at them more.

I understand that deevergote and respect that. My question is why is the Honda civic priced like an AMG Mercedes-Benz?

Just to play on your analogy for fun let's look at it from this perspective:

Z06 Corvette priced like a Toyota Camry vs a Honda Civic priced like an AMG Mercedes-Benz.

But like I said earlier, that civic might be an upgrade from your last model and in that sense a bunch of parts swap over and the loyalty program makes the price right and you are comfortable with your civic then why not get the civic?
            More exaggeration. The Apple stuff isn't priced that much higher than the Android stuff when you actually consider retail vs retail and actual transaction vs actual transaction. What you guys consistently try and do is match upgrade to retail so it looks better in your defense.

Is just delusionary b.s. schemed up by Android Fans to try and give further justification to their purchase. PC guys used to do it all the time, and still do, and it just isn't as true as they think it is. I know, because I was very guilty of it.

In fact, one of my hardcore PC gaming cousins just bought a MacBook and this is what he posted on his Facebook status "the more I use my MacBook, the more I want to punch Microsoft in the face."

Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
            I'm going to stop justifying myself to you because you are simply coming across as an old grumpy a$$, who will go to any length to debate why sprinkles on a donut are better. I too am almost 40 now and have been in the IT World my whole life, since before 386 days. But I'm not going to write a book or justify my history of experience because you disagree.

But please tell me owequitit, can you justify why apple release a Iphone 6 that has the same hardware specs as another 2 years old phone & have sheep like yourself pay big bucks for it?
            1) You aren't going to justify yourself, but then you justify yourself. Which is it?

2) Am I supposed to be impressed by your resume? My dad has been in IT since the early 80's. Our first PC was an 8086. We never owned a single Apple product prior to my sister's purchase of a MacBook Pro for college (it was required by her school because it was the industry standard). He finally made the switch based on his iPhone experience and his utter disgust for Microsoft's products. In fact, I would say that Microsoft has done more for Apple's bottom line than any single other company in the world. I now have his old Windows 7 laptop. I wish for OSx everyday. I hate it. I never left XP on my desktop because I hate it so bad. Now, they don't support XP, but guess what? I will buy a Mac before I upgrade my Windows.

My friends dad is the CIO for Equifax. He runs a multi-billion dollar company's IT department that I am sure uses all PCs. He has also run the IT systems of several major banks you may have heard of. He uses Apple at home. He probably doesn't know anything about IT though.

3) Your argument about buying the latest and greatest iPhone is a strawman argument. First, your premise assumes I am an early adopter and run out with $1,000 in hand to have the latest and greatest iPhone. In actuality, I buy a new phone when I need one (or whenever my contract expires and I get my discount, whichever takes longer). I am still happily using an iPhone 5. Didn't need to upgrade to the 5S or the 6 and I may not upgrade to the 6S or whatever follows the 6. When I do buy it, I certainly won't pay a vast premium over an equivalent "flagship" Android because they will both be subsidized to within $100 of each other.

To be honest, the same dipshits that do it to get the latest Android are just as stupid (and don't pretend they don't exist, because we both know they do). It just like the people that were paying $3,000 for a PS4 just so they could say they had it first. They get no pass from me, and just because I also use an Apple or Droid or PS4 doesn't make me them.

As far as hardware specs go, as an IT guy you should understand that specs aren't everything. Well, I should say if you are an IT guy worth your salt, because frankly, being an "IT guy" doesn't mean shit to me. I have seen guys who thought they were "IT guys" open shops that couldn't tell a SIMM from a DIMM. People like that were one of the reasons I didn't go further into IT than I did. Regardless, I don't care as much about the hardware specs if the device does the job I need it to do, and does it well. Outside of that, it is just a huge internet dick wagging contest of fanboys.

I did the Blackberry thing. It was not flexible enough for what I wanted to do.

I didn't the Android thing. It wasn't reliable enough for me to depend on it for my living.

Apple is treating me well so far, but if that changes, I will drop them like I dropped the other two. I just get a kick out of how because I like Apple I automatically came out from under a bridge, and don't know anything about anything. It isn't like I didn't try the other ones, and am specific about how they failed me.

Here is the really interesting one for all you PC/Android/Microsoft hard on guys. We have been testing using the iPad and Surface as an EFB (electronic flight bag) at work. Naturally, the general consensus is that the iPad works better. However, the company wants the Surface because it is cheaper. I know the iPad works marvelously in that regard because I used it for years. Not so comfortable about the Surface based on initial reviews (which I forgot I was incapable of reading) and previous Microsoft durability experience. What's the big deal you ask? An EFB is where we would keep all of our legal approach and enroute charts, which means if it crashes while we are shooting an approach in fog, or are enroute in the middle of the night, we have nothing to reference procedurally. I am sure we would keep a backup set of paper charts, but that could become a very rapid cluster fuck in the heat of the moment of shooting an approach to minimums in bad weather, and then having to go around because your EFB failed, while trying to hurriedly locate the paper charts in a big box. In 3 years of using it, we never had a single crash with the iPad, and currently, I believe the iPad is still the only EFB certified for use by the FAA because of its robust nature (having the fastest processor means jack shit when you are trying not to hit a mountain). So far, NOBODY is using the Surface, although Delta is also looking at it. I don't think it has been certified yet. Nobody is even attempting to use an Android based solution...
            Last edited by owequitit; 10-06-2014, 05:06 PM.
            The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

Originally posted by sonikaccord View Post
              70lbs isn't alot when someone weighs 200lbs and decides to put a thin piece of aluminum and plastic in their back pocket and then complain about it breaking when they have a seat in a hard metal folding chair.

Now THIS has gone too far:
              http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/m...mote-products/
              Acutally, it is. 70lbs would be like dropping two bags of softener salt, or 2 bags of dogfood on it.

When discussing sitting on the phone, you have to remember 2 things. 1, each ass cheek is only supporting less than 50% of the total weight. The rest is divided between the other ass cheek, and the surface of the legs that are also in contact with the seating surface. But let's assume its just ass cheeks for the sake of argument. On a 200lb person (above average), each cheek is only supporting 100lbs, in its entirety. Of that, unless 100% of the cheek is covered by iPhone, then the phone isn't even absorbing the full 100lbs. An iPhone 6 won't even cover my whole ass cheek, and I am nowhere near as big as a 200lb guy. So you figure even at 200lbs, with no legs, 70% or better of one ass cheek would have to be covered by the iPhone, and it would have to be incapable of absorbing into the asscheek... I think it is unlikely. But like Deev said, if you apply enough force to something, it is going to break.

Even most of the scientific tests done, the results have been found to be "unlikely."

It's just another way for people to hate the iPhone.

Comment

Originally posted by verothacamaro View Post
                Aren't all of these phones prices similarly? Off contract in the US, Apple tends to be a buck cheaper than their counterparts.

If anyone is arguing price, it's a moot point.
                Let's not ruin this discussion with facts.

If to you a few hundred dollars is a buck, then you got your costs backwards and wrong.

My phone (Nexus5) costs $350 vs iPhone6 $700+.
                Now you're just lying:

You are correct that the Nexus5 is $350. But where the fuck are you getting your iPhone prices? Its pretty sad when you have to outright lie to build your case.

http://www.apple.com/iphone-6/specs/

http://www.google.com/nexus/5/index....EAhg&gclsrc=ds

Apple shot the gap on size, but they are nowhere near the price you claim. So much for being "informed." Or are you just lying to make your case look stronger?
                Looks to me like the 4.7" iPhone 6 is only $50 more than your beloved Nexus.

Even the 6.5" iPhone 6 is nowhere near $700+. Try more like $499, which doesn't even crest the $500 mark, let alone $700+. P.S. Apple requires official retailers to sell at their MSRP. Not to mention that for $50 the iPhones 128GB model (the most expensive one) BLOWS your Nexus out of the water. If I spec out the 16GB Google Nexus ($350) versus the 16GB iPhone 6 ($199) it is blown out of the water even harder. Of course, for the $399 of the Nexus 32GB, I just bought myself a 128GB iPhone 6 or a 64GB iPhone 6+.

Who is overpriced now?

http://www.cnet.com/products/apple-iphone-6/

The Nexus has that faster processor you crave as well as more RAM, but frankly, considering the iPhone 6 runs seamlessly, I don't see the benefit to having higher specs. And I know it runs seamlessly because my iPhone5 running iOS 8.0.2 runs pretty much seamlessly with a lot less hardware.

Unless you can bring up some actual processing deficiency gripes related to hardware, I am inclined to say that beyond smooth operation, it doesn't matter. However, I am willing to bet that even with the additional hardware, your Nexus isn't nearly twice the phone, which would make it overpriced, since it is nearly twice the price.
                Last edited by owequitit; 10-06-2014, 05:47 PM.

Comment

Keep on selectively quoting what I say and twisting it to meet your agenda.

I see you skipped my last post... go ahead and chop and paste that one too while you are at it.

Comment

Originally posted by owequitit View Post
                    Acutally, it is. 70lbs would be like dropping two bags of softener salt, or 2 bags of dogfood on it.

When discussing sitting on the phone, you have to remember 2 things. 1, each ass cheek is only supporting less than 50% of the total weight. The rest is divided between the other ass cheek, and the surface of the legs that are also in contact with the seating surface. But let's assume its just ass cheeks for the sake of argument. On a 200lb person (above average), each cheek is only supporting 100lbs, in its entirety. Of that, unless 100% of the cheek is covered by iPhone, then the phone isn't even absorbing the full 100lbs. An iPhone 6 won't even cover my whole ass cheek, and I am nowhere near as big as a 200lb guy. So you figure even at 200lbs, with no legs, 70% or better of one ass cheek would have to be covered by the iPhone, and it would have to be incapable of absorbing into the asscheek... I think it is unlikely. But like Deev said, if you apply enough force to something, it is going to break.

Even most of the scientific tests done, the results have been found to be "unlikely."

It's just another way for people to hate the iPhone.
                    Agreed. Now let's take into consideration that many hard chairs are curved in the butt area to be more comfortable. That decreases the total spread of area that the force is acting on which naturally increases the pressure. Add a pair of form fitting jeans (skinny jeans) then you have an upward force AND a downward force and that's where the issue occurs. People also don't sit still, their weight shifts which adds even more force to said object.

I'm sure several screens have been cracked because of the same thing, but because it's an almighty iPhone and supposed to be perfect in every way, people get surprised when it bends instead of cracking the screen. So unlike what Deev said, if you apply enough force, it will bend

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Now you're just lying:

You are correct that the Nexus5 is $350. But where the fuck are you getting your iPhone prices? Its pretty sad when you have to outright lie to build your case.
                      He's not. He is referring to the contract free pricing.
                      http://www.cnet.com/news/what-itll-c...pple-iphone-6/

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

He's not. He is referring to the contract free pricing.
                        http://www.cnet.com/news/what-itll-c...pple-iphone-6/
                        Who is going to buy without a contract? And sorry, but I believe he is attempting to misrepresent the actual price of an iPhone relative to its common competitors. At least some of them.

The Nexus is $349 Google Direct, or in sticking with the following comparison $449.99 at Best Buy. The 16GB iPhone 6 is $699.00. That is quite a bit more, but not nearly as much as he attempts to represent it. I kept Best Buy versus Best Buy to keep variables consistent. The following MicroSD car would have been Best Buy too, but they didn't show 128GB on their website. Also, the replacement cost for my laggier but still specification superior Droid was about $600 1.5 years ago with no contract. The reality is that smart phones are expensive without a contract, and that isn't exclusive to Apple.

Also, I can't see the contract price of a Nexus 5 because my carrier doesn't offer them. Best Buy says $99 for those services where it is available. My options seem to be Samsung (not really cheaper for a Galaxy S3) or HTC (which I won't do since my last Droid was an HTC and was having issues after 6-9 months). Since some in here claim all of my issues must have been the result of not having a "flagship" device, I wouldn't want to chance another subpar HTC product.

Also, don't forget that Apple has a pretty generous trade in offer for any current iPhone user. Since the assumption here is that only blind loyalists buy Apple products, then we must also assume they would utilize their trade in credit.

I have the carrier whose iPhones hold the least value of all the carriers, and the trade in for my 2 generation old iPhone 5 64gig is $180.

I did a little comparison over at BestBuy.com, where the Samsung Galaxy S5 would be $799.00 without a contract plan. The iPhone 6 is $899.00 or about $100 more expensive. However, while the Samsung does have a faster processor and a better camera, that is for 16GB internal memory versus 128GB for the iPhone. In order for me to buy a MicroSD to bring the Galaxy up to 128GB internal memory using a good quality, name brand part is going to cost about $110-120

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...CH&PageSize=20

That actually makes the total cost of a non-contract Galaxy S5 MORE than that same "overpriced" iPhone and that is before we account for the $180 trade-in credit for my existing iPhone. The net total is that it is almost exactly $200 cheaper for me to buy an iPhone 6 as it is for me to buy a Samsung Galaxy S5 and upgrade it to 128GB. Ah, but 128GB is overkill you say?

1) Memory requirements always go UP.

2) As I mentioned before, I rely on my phone for my job. Since my job involves traveling all over north and Central America (as well as potentially the Caribbean), and often with hours or days out of contact with cell service and sometimes WiFi, I have to keep a lot of essential documents on my phone. I also tend to stockpile a lot of music and such on there, since I often can't connect to anything that will allow to me stream it (alas, cellular use is forbidden on aircraft and data service is at the whim of whether Wi-Fi is available, and sometimes whether I feel like paying). So for me, more memory is always better.

As we already talked about, the S5 has slightly faster hardware, but also, the iPhone doesn't exactly "lag" so I am not sure what the benefit of a faster processor is. The better camera I might not complain about. But again, I would have to see the results, because coming from a long time of using DSLR cameras, I can tell you that a high quality 8-10 MegaPixel DSLR is a whole different universe than a low quality 16 megapixel camera. Not to say the iPhone is a DSLR, and the Galaxy is not, just that more Megapixels does not necessarily a better camera make, and anybody who knows anything about cameras knows that. If it is twice as good on the Samsung, then it would come down to whether that camera is worth the extra $200.

Like I said, when we actually compare apples to apples, the deck still doesn't stack as heavily in favor of the Android products (maybe some of the older, cheaper ones).

If we do the cell phone plan, the cost of the S5 and the 16GB iPhone 6 is reversed with the S5 costing $149.99 and the iPhone costing $199.99. But I still have my iPhone credit (I honestly have no idea if Samsung does the same). For $50, I will take the familiar user interface and the KNOWN long term durability history of the iPhone. I have never had a problem with Apple's product working for a very long time with no issues, and I KNOW they stand behind their product even when they don't necessarily have to. To me, that peace of mind is easily worth $50. The ability to just log in and have it work with all of my other Apple stuff without having to convert over to the Google Play world is even more of a bonus. If I go with the 128GB iPhone 6 with a plan, it comes out slightly in favor of the S5 again, because now we are talking $149.99 plan phone + the 128GB MicroSD for a grand total of $275ish, versus the iPhone 128GB's $399. So I could potentially save about $125 if I start specing up the iPhone to the higher levels. However, I will be honest in saying that the majority of iPhone users don't do that. When I got my 64GB iPhone 5, they had one in stock (versus dozens of the 16GB and more than several of the 32GB) and the guy in the Sprint Corporate Store told me that they hadn't sold a 64GB in months. I didn't even get a choice of color. What that means is the average iPhone buyer is not going to pony up for the heavy model and the 16GB vs 16GB will cover the majority of purchases. Of course, if I then trade my iPhone 5 in, I will still actually be SAVING about $50 by going with another iPhone.

The problem with most "informed consumers" is that they often don't consider the total cost of the transaction because they don't have enough depth of understanding to look at back end costs, as well as front end costs. Either that, or they get blinded by specs that beyond a certain point don't amount to much other than bragging rights. It might matter if you root your phone and do God knows what with it, but I don't need that. It serves no real purpose for me, and it Voids every warranty in the book.

Anyone who sits there and claims that Apple is inferior in all ways and costs an extravagant amount more than any "flagship" Android product is just patently falsifying or denying actual facts to support their argument. I would hardly consider a $50 price difference to be a major deal breaker, and I sure as hell wouldn't consider the Apple being slightly cheaper when spec'd out against a top brand Android with equivalent on board memory to be grossly overpriced.

Finally, if CPU specs and onboard memory are that important to you, go for it. I don't give a shit if anybody buys or favors Android. I didn't give Ralphie an ounce of shit about it. Why? Because he didn't come in here claiming how intellectually beyond any Apple user he is with his superior nature as an "informed consumer." He likes Droid. Good for him. I like Apple. Good for me. I tried Droid. Didn't like it, didn't have good luck. I depend on my phone too much to continue to take a chance that suddenly Droid might start working reliably enough for me. So based on a lot of research and questioning toward many different users, reading reviews and trying out the different products, I decided on Apple. I don't care if I have the fastest processor as long as the phone isn't laggy and runs the requisite apps smoothly and seamlessly, as the iPhone does and always has. I have way more issues with data throughput and bandwidth on my data/WiFi connections, and even a Cray Supercomputer isn't going to fix that.

Another thing I liked about the iPhone when I bought it was that it was sleek, thin and easier to carry than most of the "Phablets" and larger "high-res" (p.s. 1080P on a 5-7" screen is useless) that were coming out at the time. It was a good bit smaller than my Droid. Considering I spend my working life in uniform crawling in and around ramps, bags, cockpits, etc I appreciated the space savings. With my 150lbs of bags, charts, and other items I carry at all times, it was even nicer. Plus, not having a nice huge 7" square boner in your pocket when you are trying to look professional and be mobile while sitting, standing, stooping etc is worth a lot. Having a giant brick in your pocket sucks and that was based on the last Droid. To be honest, I was checking out the iPhone 6 the other day in the Apple store, and it was even a little bigger than I would like. There sure isn't a chance I am going to spring for a 6+. I also have limited space in which to store things in the cockpit, and since I usually want my phone accessible so I can do things like keep track of my schedule, log my flight time, check the weather before we depart, and be able to quickly answer a call from Operations or Crew Scheduling, small and easy works out there too.

But I am sure I only chose it because I have no idea what I am doing. I certainly don't know my mission, and I certainly don't know how I am using my own phone and thus the only possible conclusion is that I bought an iPhone because I am dumb.
                        Last edited by owequitit; 10-07-2014, 12:41 AM.

Comment

Agreed. Now let's take into consideration that many hard chairs are curved in the butt area to be more comfortable. That decreases the total spread of area that the force is acting on which naturally increases the pressure. Add a pair of form fitting jeans (skinny jeans) then you have an upward force AND a downward force and that's where the issue occurs. People also don't sit still, their weight shifts which adds even more force to said object.

I'm sure several screens have been cracked because of the same thing, but because it's an almighty iPhone and supposed to be perfect in every way, people get surprised when it bends instead of cracking the screen. So unlike what Deev said, if you apply enough force, it will bend
                          Sure, and with enough force I can break a leg. Does that mean a leg is ridiculously weak?

The reality is that if someone puts an expensive phone (of any brand) with a big ass glass screen on it in their back pocket and then sits on it, they are an idiot. End of story. I also wouldn't be surpised to see Apple find a way to put a structural rib somewhere in the case casting that runs around or between components resulting in a ~200% increase in that bending force number. But you can bet if an Android company were to product the same failure, the Droid fanboys wouldn't be running around screaming about the injustice.
                          Last edited by owequitit; 10-07-2014, 12:39 AM.

Comment

Who is going to buy without a contract?
                            Every single person on an up-to-date T-Mobile plan. They don't do contracts anymore. That's why their plans are cheaper. You don't pay the full cost of the phone up-front though, unless you want to. You pay a down payment depending on your credit and the rest is broken up on your bill, with 0% interest. You can pay extra on it or pay it off whenever you want, and if your phone is paid off, you can cancel your plan anytime you want with no termination fees. If your phone isn't paid off, you can still cancel anytime and only need to pay the remainder of your phone. I believe AT&T now offers a similar plan.

Comment

I hope it continues to work well for you. Like I said, my Android functioned flawlessly for about 6 months. Then the little bugs started. Then they got bigger. By the time I got rid of it, it was sending texts to the wrong people, deleting shit and couldn't go a single day without crashing so badly I had to reboot it. I didn't root it or do anything else that would remove responsibility from Android. I even went so far as to remove all of my apps, restore it and start over to no avail. The only hardware issue I ever had with it was a really short battery life, which the phone was notorious for as it aged.

Here is a philosophical question: If you HAD started on iPhone instead of Android 1.5, and had become comfortable in the iOS universe, do you think that would change how you feel about how easy Android is to use?

It wasn't so much that I didn't like anything about Android, it was more that I couldn't afford to have an unreliable phone, since I depended on it for my job. So yes, in that aspect you are correct, I just want something that works, and so far my Apple products always have. Apple has also been unquestionably superior in standing behind their product when it wasn't working correctly. It was actually an incident with my original iPod Classic and Apple's customer service that really made me look at them more.

Here is the really interesting one for all you PC/Android/Microsoft hard on guys. We have been testing using the iPad and Surface as an EFB (electronic flight bag) at work. Naturally, the general consensus is that the iPad works better. However, the company wants the Surface because it is cheaper. I know the iPad works marvelously in that regard because I used it for years. Not so comfortable about the Surface based on initial reviews (which I forgot I was incapable of reading) and previous Microsoft durability experience. What's the big deal you ask? An EFB is where we would keep all of our legal approach and enroute charts, which means if it crashes while we are shooting an approach in fog, or are enroute in the middle of the night, we have nothing to reference procedurally. I am sure we would keep a backup set of paper charts, but that could become a very rapid cluster fuck in the heat of the moment of shooting an approach to minimums in bad weather, and then having to go around because your EFB failed, while trying to hurriedly locate the paper charts in a big box. In 3 years of using it, we never had a single crash with the iPad, and currently, I believe the iPad is still the only EFB certified for use by the FAA because of its robust nature (having the fastest processor means jack shit when you are trying not to hit a mountain). So far, NOBODY is using the Surface, although Delta is also looking at it. I don't think it has been certified yet. Nobody is even attempting to use an Android based solution...

Ya I certainly hope it lasts the two years. I know there are plenty of Android devices that become buggy and slow down after use. I have owned some. For a short period of time, when my phone was down, I bought a cheapo LG slider with Android on it. Omg what a pos.

So far though, my HTC one m8 has been awesome. No force closes, no app crashes, battery is great, and it runs days on end with no issues.

It really sounds like you got a bad phone. Android is not without it's glitches, but sending out texts to wrong people and all the issues you had sound like the extreme end of the spectrum. Either way, dealing with Google TV AND that phone, I could see people getting turned off. And that's not even bringing your job into the equation. Knowing what you do, and now knowing that you rely on your phone(I would have assumed that the FAA would not allow pilots to use phones for work but id have been wrong) for work, makes complete sense.

My wife has been loyal to Apple since she got a macbook after ditching her Sony Vaio LOL.

She has had MAYBE 2 or 3 issues with her Apple devices since like 2008....and you're 100% correct. NO ONE handles customer service like Apple.

1. Laptop battery went bad....Apple replaced it FOR FREE along with a new keyboard for her mac.

2. They replaced my Ipod Classic when it went down a week after buying it. No questions asked.
                              3. Wifes iphone power button stopped working, gave her a loaner and fixed her phone.

They have been very good to us over the years.

So much so that I didn't pass up an opportunity to take my sister in laws 2008 white macbook off her hands when she upgraded.

I have a Dell XPS 9200 with Windows 7, dual core processor and 5 gigs of ram.

I use the macbook almost exclusively now haha.

Besides my Nexus 7 tablet which is for bedroom reading or light traveling.

Again, when it comes to the iphone, I disliked their battery stats and the fact that you can't really hide all of the icons. On Android, everything is hidden inside a drawer. I love that, because I like widgets and I dont want to see 100 apps all over. But its a personal preference. The phone still does what It needs to.

To answer your philosophical question-

Hell yea id be using Apple. I am not going to sit here and pretend that Google is the end all for mobile OS.

I walked into a Tmobile store years ago and wanted to check out the G2.....was curious about this "Android" thing.

I immediately fell in love with the UI, the fluidnes etc.

But if I had walked into an Apple store, and liked it, then id def be using an iphone today! No doubt about that.

And my god I really hope the major airlines stick with Apple.

Comment

Working...
                              X