This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ding Dong the Facebook Group is Dead!

Last night, I decided it was time to finally pull the plug on the "official" CB7tuner Facebook group. The admins that have been so tirelessly fighting to keep some sense of order in that mess agreed wholeheartedly. It was long overdue.
    The group still exists, for a number of reasons, but it is closed to any new posts. It will wither and die very soon.

Anyway, I plan to do something positive with this new development. I don't want to waste our momentum! I plan on starting a proper official CB7tuner Facebook group... however, my intention is to restrict it solely to CB7tuner forum members. The group members AND staff will be held to the same standards as they are here on the forum.

We're going to have to develop a system where people can apply for permission to the group via the forum. I'm thinking that a minimum post or time requirement might be necessary, so we don't just get a bunch of riff-raff that decides to sign up here just so they can get on Facebook.

I think I may create a subforum for people to apply, where they basically just give the name they use on Facebook in a thread, then join the group on Facebook and await approval. Then, whoever is in charge of the approval stuff will verify their credentials (whatever post/time limit we set), add their name (Facebook name and screen name) to a public list, and approve their submission.

Feedback, ideas, suggestions... all are welcome.

I think that's a fantastic idea! It should definitely cut down on redundant questions and encourage more intelligent conversation/picture/part sharing.

Comment

Could pairing up the facebook membership with the beginner section and rules work?

Use the same parameters as the beginners section. Once you get through that you are then able to apply for the facebook group page as well. Kind of a perk of being a member in good standing on the forum.

Anyone who is already a full member of the forum has the ability to apply right away.
      MR Thread
      GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

That's kinda what I'm thinking. I was considering doing away with the Beginner Forum limitations, but perhaps it might be good to keep it around a bit longer.

Comment

Maybe you could change them up a little bit. It has been a while since I read through the rules for the beginners section...lol
          MR Thread
          GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

The Beginners section is pretty much the same as everything else, other than the fact that people need 30 posts to be able to post outside of that section. Regional and classified posts aren't allowed, for various reasons (regional posts are too location-specific to be relevant in such a confined yet diverse space, and classified posts are a security risk.)

Maybe I'll drop the post limit down to 15.

Comment

Thanks, Deev, for your work.

If there's anything I can do to assist in making this site or the Facebook group better, I'd love to do it.

I'd also like to ask that some sort of admin-accountability be in place. "if you don't like it, you can just leave" is not really an effective or intelligent problem-solving strategy/method.

I've had a lot of trouble in the Facebook group trying to correct or bring attention to behavior of the Admins, who weren't complying with the rules they were trying to enforce.

I guess it might be a tangent, but what is the purpose of a forum, and what value do the administration and the members have to each other? Because if it can be clarified what the ideal is that this forum and community are trying to achieve, I think it would be much easier for everyone to participate in that shared vision.

Comment

Great idea, i love it!

but some notes: (i'm sure you are aware of some)

- I agree with the beginners idea, but make them read the rules here first and maybe only allowed in after 30 posts!! This will put a stop to the stupid questions "how do I turbo?" etc.
                - You will find many limitations of the FB group and have to enforce a lot of rules. Someone will have to scroll through it each day and remove ads, people breaking the rules, etc.
                - Keep track of who is allowed in, banned, warned and banned, via dates, etc. I suggest google docs so all admins can see it. This list comes in handy down the road when "greg" writes wanting to know why he was kicked out.
                - Enable 3 strike rule. 1. You are warned. 2. You are kicked out until you write an admin to let you back in, only allowed if reason is acceptable. 3. Banned from group. Also great because in the banned members section of a FB group the 'search for member' feature does not work. (I've had a ticket in for years).
                - Admins can remove admins. Make sure admins are not revengeful psycho
                - Don't enable advanced features of the group where people can list sold items, etc, then mark as sold and the whole system sucks big time.
                - If people want to post 40 pictures, make sure they use an album. Nothing worse than having 10 people post 40 pictures so you have to scroll constantly. Albums also allow one to edit photos, remove/add photos, etc. Not on mobile phones you have to use a browser to enable albums. Not the same as uploading 20 pics and it puts them in an album form (phones).
                - Use a pinned post. Although you cannot see it on phones, still comes in handy.

And realize that by doing this it may eventually be the end of the online forum

Comment

I think the list will be public, rather than a private thing. Something that will be accessible to all, and we'll even list who was banned. Having your name on the banned list will be an extra deterrent to acting against the rules!

I do like the idea of albums. I'll need to figure out how that works. I never really got the hang of that on Facebook.

As for the admins, please do not begin criticizing the admins due to their actions on the previous group. That is a VERY quick way to make me decide we don't need a Facebook group at all.
                  The admins act as instructed. Their actions are my actions. If you want to pick on my staff, be very aware that I will not be on your side. If I have an issue with my staff, I take it up with them privately. Unless I make it a public issue, assume that my staff members are acting in a way that I have either instructed, or in a way that I understand. Any unpleasant staff actions in the past were primarily a result of the abuse they suffered day in and day out in the group. That will not happen in the new group. Neither the abuse of the admins, nor the resulting foul attitude.
                  And when it comes to following the rules, "if you don't like it you can leave" has ALWAYS been the stance of CB7tuner. Our rules exist for a reason, and you are expected to follow them regardless of whether or not you understand them.

The rule enforcement on the new group will probably be very quick, and very clean. There won't be bickering, debating, or arguing. If a rule is broken, the appropriate response will be given by the staff... be it the removal of a comment, the removal of a post, or the removal of a member. Rules will be made very clear (and they will be posted in the thread in which you ask for admittance to the group... so unlike the pinned post and group description in the last group, which went ignored, this will be impossible to miss.)

Comment

Im just laughing at everyone that's upset and trying to start new Facebook groups haha.

Cb7 family, otherwise known as stances civics.

Can't wait for a decent group.
                    sold! But here's my build thread for those interested.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=206864

Comment

If we were previously banned can we apply for this new group LMAO?

Yep, I was banned the other day.

And I think the idea you have is solid. I don't see any major issues.

The one thing I don't like, is expecting someone to get 30 posts to join the facebook....

ONLY because some good members exist only on here and don't have 30 posts. It isn't the norm, but it does happen. They just read a lot, post here and there, and have no worries about leaving the beginners section. I talked with someone like that maybe 6 months ago here. So by making them post 30 to apply to the facebook, they may post whore etc which is only more work for you guys. I still think they should have to be a vetted member here first, I just don't know if making them get out of the beginners section is the best idea but that's just my opinion.

As always, if you need anything or an extra hand let me know!

Comment

An exception should be made for mature/knowledgeable noobs, but otherwise I agree with the 30 post rule. It gets the immature noobs more used to how the rest of us do things.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=146

I think this section is under-utilized...
                        Last edited by CyborgGT; 03-16-2016, 07:47 PM.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Originally posted by Ralphie View Post
                          If we were previously banned can we apply for this new group LMAO?

Yep, I was banned the other day.

And I think the idea you have is solid. I don't see any major issues.

The one thing I don't like, is expecting someone to get 30 posts to join the facebook....

ONLY because some good members exist only on here and don't have 30 posts. It isn't the norm, but it does happen. They just read a lot, post here and there, and have no worries about leaving the beginners section. I talked with someone like that maybe 6 months ago here. So by making them post 30 to apply to the facebook, they may post whore etc which is only more work for you guys. I still think they should have to be a vetted member here first, I just don't know if making them get out of the beginners section is the best idea but that's just my opinion.

As always, if you need anything or an extra hand let me know!
                          That's why I'm thinking maybe a time requirement instead, as well, or as an alternative to a post requirement. If someone joined 2 years ago and made 20 posts simply because they spent most of their time reading, I don't disagree that they should be allowed in. I just want to have SOME sort of control in place so people don't just sign up to gain access to the Facebook group.

Originally posted by CyborgGT View Post
                          An exception should be made for mature/knowledgeable noobs, but otherwise I agree with the 30 post rule. It gets the immature noobs more used to how the rest of us do things.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=146

I think this section is under-utilized...
                          That's something I may consider. I may just take that duty on myself. If someone shows promise enough, they may be granted access before reaching a predetermined limit. Granted, it's not just knowledge, but maturity and an understanding of how this community works that is important. Some smart people don't play well with others.

And I agree that the news section is neglected. There's not often much news, and it usually goes ignored when i post it in there! There are a number of old threads in there that have been deleted... some due to limited exposure.

Comment

A small forum donation could allow immediate access into the forums/group. That's how one of the forums that I'm a member of works. If you want to bypass the restriction, you have to pay. I can pretty much guarantee that 98% of people aren't going to do this, but the more serious tuners might especially if the information is there and word gets around.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

i wouldnt do the group at all. i was pretty sure it was closed because i saw traffic pick back up here. why have a group when theres millions of threads and replies here that are all full of info?
                              COUPE K24

Comment

Working...
                              X