I really don't want to sell my cb7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CyborgGT View Post

Why are you moving to LA or NYC, though? Both are infamous for high costs of living. Limitations with both of your jobs?
    I work in TV and film, and while there is work in St. Louis, it's nowhere near the kind of work I would get in either of those cities.

Click for my Member's Ride Thread
    Originally posted by Stephen Fry
    'It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so fucking what?' —Stephen Fry
    Eye Level Media - Commercial & Automotive Photography: www.EyeLevelSTL.com

Comment

There's actually some fairly decent work in that industry in Philadelphia, I believe. The cost of living in that area is MUCH better. You can find property with a fair amount of land to store and work on a project, too.

Comment

Originally posted by steelbluesleepR View Post
        I currently live in an apartment 200 miles away from my car in a place with no available covered parking.
        I understand it is currently in pieces but once complete I wouldn't let no covered parking stop you from enjoying your car.

Get a car cover if you need to, it also increases difficulty in stealing it.. so it is a dual purpose.
        Rides:

Accord
        92-JDM-2.0 Si- "4ws" - Cobalt Blue Pearl
        96-AUDM-2.2 VTiS- Heather Mist

CR-X
        88-JDM-Si- Black

CR-X Del Sol
        92-JDM-SiR "Transtop" Motegi Edition - Silver
        95-JDM-SiR "Transtop" Daytona Edition - Silver
        92-JDM-SiR "Transtop" - Black

Prelude
        91-JDM-Si-4ws "Si States" - Phoenix Red
        91-AUDM-Si-4ws "Cita Lux Edition" - Bordeaux Red Pearl
        91-AUDM-Si-4ws "Cita" - Cobalt Blue Pearl
        91-AUDM-Si-4ws "Cita Lux Edition"- Gun Metal Grey

Comment

Originally posted by jdm_inspired View Post
          I never thought the day would come when I finally started parting out my car. It was a really sad day for me. I really cant believe I did it, and still going through it. When its time, its time. I knew I wouldnt have it forever... and many may attempt to, but its just unlikely.
          I dread this and do not ever or even want to think about it.

Imagine the list that I have in my signature and having to do that multiple times?!!

I know there is a chance that the moment you give it to someone it will not last long before disaster.

The best I can think of is giving it to family and thinking it lives on and on...

But if I do I am thinking the youngest person I will ever give it will be my kids, niece and/or nephews at 45-50 years old . By then I hope the chances of them appreciating it for what it is (not modding it) and driving it responsibly (and not to the nearest tree, pole, car or cliff) so that it will continue to exist will be the case.

Or donating my cars to a car or Honda Museum.

As one example I think my CB is the only one that still exists that came with factory Traction Control System (TCS) and Integrated Antenna from factory.
          Last edited by JDMDriver; 09-23-2016, 10:22 AM.
          Rides:

Accord

CR-X
          88-JDM-Si- Black

CR-X Del Sol

Prelude

Comment

"Life/family happened" is exactly why I'm building a wagon. It comes with room for me to grow, but still allows for fun.
            My reason for buying and keeping the CB sedan!

If simply keeping your project around isn't costing you anything, the few hundred dollars a shell is worth won't help you in the long run. Put it on the back burner when money gets tight, then inch along with it when you can.
            I Agree.

That is what I have done until my project/s kept growing.

It may seem weird but now I feel like I am trying to save them.
            Rides:

Accord

CR-X
            88-JDM-Si- Black

CR-X Del Sol

Prelude

Comment

^ I am honestly jealous of your collection. I dream of owning an acre on the outskirts of town, with maybe a large shed put up in which to store cars like yours awaiting the day I can afford to build them up. I'm going to do my best to never sell my RSX (why would I? it gets 30mpg city and has excellent cargo room. perfect daily, imo), then of course the CB. Then once the CB is at least driving with the H22 in, I'm going to get a Terminator Mustang. From there, the collection of all my favorite '90s cars begins! Dreaming, of course, but it doesn't seem too terribly unrealistic, eh? I'm still young...

Accord Aero-R

Comment

I have similar dreams. I can EASILY list a dozen cars that I would love to own... all older, all under $15,000 to purchase (most well under that.) I have ideas for every one of them, from heavy modification to stock restoration. Some of my dream cars are non-US models that I would be happy to have in 100% stock form.
                Depending on where I end up moving, I may seek to register myself as a used car dealer. That would give me the ability to use "dealer plates" on multiple cars. I could be able to own and use a bunch of vehicles without having to incur the expense of registering and insuring them all individually. It may or may not be a feasible option, but I have yet to discover a flaw. As long as I ensure my property meets the requirements, it shouldn't matter if I never make an official sale.

Comment

^ I am honestly jealous of your collection. I dream of owning an acre on the outskirts of town, with maybe a large shed put up in which to store cars like yours awaiting the day I can afford to build them up. I'm going to do my best to never sell my RSX (why would I? it gets 30mpg city and has excellent cargo room. perfect daily, imo), then of course the CB. Then once the CB is at least driving with the H22 in, I'm going to get a Terminator Mustang. From there, the collection of all my favorite '90s cars begins! Dreaming, of course, but it doesn't seem too terribly unrealistic, eh? I'm still young...

Thank you.

Definitely shoot for your dreams if that is what you want.

There are more hobbies or past times out there that is less constructive and waste of money than cars such as gambling.

As I see it, at least with cars you always have something to show for what you spent, has at least a residual value and the value can increase also even in stand alone parts (eg. OEM fog lights, one piece headlight etc)

Aim for it and always keep your hopes up if you know that it will give you happiness.
                  Last edited by JDMDriver; 09-24-2016, 07:51 AM.
                  Rides:

Accord

CR-X
                  88-JDM-Si- Black

CR-X Del Sol

Prelude

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                    I have similar dreams. I can EASILY list a dozen cars that I would love to own... all older, all under $15,000 to purchase (most well under that.) I have ideas for every one of them, from heavy modification to stock restoration. Some of my dream cars are non-US models that I would be happy to have in 100% stock form.
                    Depending on where I end up moving, I may seek to register myself as a used car dealer. That would give me the ability to use "dealer plates" on multiple cars. I could be able to own and use a bunch of vehicles without having to incur the expense of registering and insuring them all individually. It may or may not be a feasible option, but I have yet to discover a flaw. As long as I ensure my property meets the requirements, it shouldn't matter if I never make an official sale.
                    Keep your dream alive deevergote.

If you can pull the dealer method off, my greatest tip would be to ensure your collection is adequately protected from the elements.

To me the biggest source of motivation is from the cars body condition (paint, seals, fitment and alignment of panels etc).

I don't always get to drive it but I do always get to see it. Having a great looking vehicle gets you motivated to keep it and keep improving it (even if you are not driving it or not driving it all the time). Seeing it shinning and feeling the paint smooth is just as rewarding.

Conversely for me the biggest killer in satisfaction and motivation in owning old vehicles is faced with a high cost of external restoration and constantly seeing an old, sick, decrepit vehicle constantly at your face. Tracing water problems, the smell of dampness and knock on effects of water damage (electrical, rust etc) can really break the camels back. All which could be avoided by adequate cover.

PS: A project car with a good external condition also receives less negative attention from friends and family and makes justifying your projects that much easier.
                    Last edited by JDMDriver; 09-24-2016, 08:24 AM.
                    Rides:

Accord

CR-X
                    88-JDM-Si- Black

CR-X Del Sol

Prelude

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                      Depending on where I end up moving, I may seek to register myself as a used car dealer. That would give me the ability to use "dealer plates" on multiple cars.
                      I thought about this in Ohio a while ago. Check the rules where you are - in order to maintain the license, you may actually have to have a "place of business" and you may be required to buy/sell a certain number of vehicles per year.

I remember when I had my '65 Cadillac convertible and was looking for parts - I visited a guy in Philly who had an old warehouse full of cars and parts. Every time I drive by an old warehouse I think about it full of CB7s!
                      90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
                      08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

I once looked into a dealer license in CO so I could flip cars without getting into trouble. It also requires a sales tax license and some other things here; too much of a hassle.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

In MO, you have to have a storefront/land to get a dealers license.

Click for my Member's Ride Thread
                          Originally posted by Stephen Fry
                          'It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so fucking what?' —Stephen Fry
                          Eye Level Media - Commercial & Automotive Photography: www.EyeLevelSTL.com

Comment

Can a house not be considered a storefront? On the show, Wheeler Dealers (in the European episodes), it was cool to see a couple people had entire rooms inside their home dedicated to stocking reman/NOS parts for their business.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

In NJ, from what I've seen, you just have to display no fewer than two cars at any given time, have a visible sign, and maintain an "office" (which can really just be a space in a room with a desk and a computer.) I don't recall reading anything about a minimum number of sales. I mean, as long as you meet the requirements, they shouldn't be able to penalize you for sucking at selling cars!

Jayson, in MO, do you need to have a separate place of business? That would be a deal-breaker.

Comment

That visible sign requirement sounds tricky. Does it have to state something implying that cars are available for purchase?

I'd have a hard time justifying the cost of obtaining and renewing the license(s) in my case. It's money down the drain as far as my own intents are concerned. But I guess it would motivate me to flip cars. It's just when tax season rolled around that I wouldn't be happy.
                                Last edited by CyborgGT; 09-26-2016, 10:24 AM.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Working...
                                X