Oh no, Skyline fanboyism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh no, Skyline fanboyism

What's your guys take on older gen Skylines and what they've done with the R35? I of course started out falling in love with the R34. Before I was able to drive, I'd always rush to get the R34 GT-R on Need for speed: Underground 2. Ever since then I've always wanted one... but since Canada has a 15 year restriction, that won't even be possible till next year.

Though, because I -really really- want one, I've done some investigating to try and obtain just any old skyline... And since then? I've fallen in love with the R32.

I mean just look at that. I guess I'm just a big fan of early 90's car design, considering the main reason I bought a CB7 was 'cause of the lines(Supras are pretty sweet and I always enjoy a kitted out 240sx hatchback too.)

Want to look like a complete d-bag? Drive a RHD.

I'm so sick of RHD cars here. All kids do is get them, rice them out, smash them up and ruin otherwise what were nice cars.

Good luck finding clean examples anymore. And ones you do find are stupid money. Plus, cops hate them. Insurance companies hate them.

I can't find any other reason to import a JDM car here. I'll go play Gran Turismo.

One of my good friends has an R32 GTS-T. It's so boring, it may as well be a Prelude or Accord with a modded engine.

My roommate had a RHD 300ZX TT. Whoopdeedoo. They sold those here with the steering wheel on the proper side. Why the hell buy a RHD? Why buy a Soarer? Get an SC300. Why buy an Aristo? Get a GS300.

On the other hand, yes, I enjoy and love import cars and all the "forbidden fruits" we were never able to get here, but it's got to the point where everyone has one now and it's not unique or cool anymore. I see as many Skylines as I see Ford F150s in a day.
    Last edited by crazymikey; 08-23-2013, 10:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by crazymikey View Post

I'm so sick of RHD cars here. All kids do is get them, rice them out, smash them up and ruin otherwise what were nice cars.

Good luck finding clean examples anymore. And ones you do find are stupid money. Plus, cops hate them. Insurance companies hate them.

I can't find any other reason to import a JDM car here. I'll go play Gran Turismo.

One of my good friends has an R32 GTS-T. It's so boring, it may as well be a Prelude or Accord with a modded engine.

My roommate had a RHD 300ZX TT. Whoopdeedoo. They sold those here with the steering wheel on the proper side. Why the hell buy a RHD? Why buy a Soarer? Get an SC300. Why buy an Aristo? Get a GS300.

On the other hand, yes, I enjoy and love import cars and all the "forbidden fruits" we were never able to get here, but it's got to the point where everyone has one now and it's not unique or cool anymore. I see as many Skylines as I see Ford F150s in a day.
      I dunno. It's the same thing as asking why people collect CB7's when they're 23-24+ year old cars... I love the Skyline because of several reasons. The look, the performance, and of course the prestige. Very few legal street cars have the kind of prestige the R32 GT-R got back in the late 80's early 90's. Not to mention it's just a drop dead sexy car, IMO. If there was a LHD AWD Skyline sold in Canada as a domestic model, I'd buy it in a heartbeat over the hassle of shipping a Japanese/Australian one over, but I can't... so.

Besides, it's all about driving what you like and making your ride -yours- in the end, right? Screw what's considered 'cool.' That feels more ricer to me than anything.

That's pretty much all I want right there. Maybe swap the rims out but even then I kinda like the OEM ones.
      Last edited by Revious; 08-24-2013, 02:38 AM.

Comment

My buddy who has the GTS-T is planning to buy an R32 GTR next year. He's had the GTS-T for about 3 years. Been a great car for him. He bought it at an importer in Calgary for $8500 landed and inspected.

The first pic is after I painted his wheels bronze.

It was a pretty stock car other than some coilovers, HKS air filter and a Blitz exhaust. Really super clean too. It's a totally reliable and practical car too that you can daily drive, which is awesome. Like I said, he's had it for 3 years with no major issues. The worst thing he had happen was one of the belts slipped off a pulley and shredded, and then he had a strange electrical draw that kept killing the battery.

However, where I live, they're as common as Chevy Cobalts. I saw today a Nissan Gloria, which I had to double take as a Bentley or BMW. After I realized what it was, I was like "that's friggin cool!" I'm in a town of about 90,000 people, and one of the largest importers of RHD's was here in the early 2000s, so needless to say there are a ton of them running around here from Nissan S-Cargos and Daihatsu Kei trucks and a Honda Beat (owned by the owner of the Honda dealer), right up to R32 GTRs, Mk4 Supras and even some R33 and R34 Skylines around too.

I've got another buddy with a Pulsar GTi-R. That is a fast little rocket of a car.

I mean, RHD's are cool in their own way. I'm the type of guy who would buy one and completely leave it alone. It's all the kids who buy them up, smash them, rice them, drift and ruin them that bother me.

I agree the Skyline is a sexy car, and probably one of the best looking in it's time, even today. But tell me, does it not look a lot like a CB7 coupe at a quick glance? Plus, your options of an I6 turbo car with AWD or RWD are severely limited in the North American market. Skyline fills that niche. It really is a wonder why they were never sold here, when we got cars like the 300ZX from Nissan.
        Last edited by crazymikey; 08-27-2013, 08:42 PM.

Comment

I wouldnt mind a R34. love the look of it. but itll get stolen quick here for the same reason.

93 Accord LX Sedan (sold)
          01 Civic LX Sedan (sold)-93 Accord EX Wagon (totaled)
          93 Accord SE Sedan (sold)-92 Accord EX Sedan (sold)
          93 Accord SE Coupe (sold)-97 Accord SiR Wagon (sold)

95 Accord LX Wagon (CURRENT)-05 Impreza WRX Sedan (CURRENT)-02 Ram 1500 (CURRENT)-20 VW Jetta (CURRENT)

Comment

the take is i hate you canucks for being able to import easier than we can here state side... damnit i hate u guys. >:[
            <

(129)Transactions and counting

Comment

Can't import in Ontario or Quebec anymore. Alberta is trying to crack down too.

That's the only real big issue with RHD's here is cops are all over you. Cops hate RHD's so much, it's like you're literally waiting to get arrested just for driving on the street.

Comment

Since i traveled to Japan and am here currently. I have lost the appeal of the skyline, everyone and their mom drive them here. They are like the accord over in Japan. I would LOVE a s15 Silvia that is a sexy car and not seen all over the place.
                ~Nick~
                FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
                MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

cuz alot of military people can aquire them for cheap... and drift them/crash them.
                  <

Comment

Agree, in Japan u can get a gts for 2000 bucks in decent condition. But I do still like the r32 as the op mentioned
                    ~Nick~
                    FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
                    MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

Im actually an R33 fan.

I just love the way it looks.

In the end just do what makes you happy, fuck what anyone else say's.

It just that Skylines have been played out so people like to bitch about them.....

at the end of the day, most people would still drive one if given the opportunity.
                      Last edited by Ralphie; 08-29-2013, 09:15 AM.

Comment

I like the C10 and C110 of the Skyline family.
                        Be unique, like every other person.

CB7 Sold________________________E34 Sold________________________E39 Current

Comment

Like^
                          <

Comment

I mean, RHD's are cool in their own way. I'm the type of guy who would buy one and completely leave it alone. It's all the kids who buy them up, smash them, rice them, drift and ruin them that bother me.
                            This is the huge problem, spawned by a generation influenced by what they see on TV and a generation of heroes who are too stupid to take car of them , don't adhere to the laws, be a real nuisance, a trail of accidents and make a bad reputation for the rest.

Some drive RHD for boasting they are different and some because they are happy to acquire the car of their dreams in its original form and not modified (tampering with its reliability in the process eg. electrical integrity).

There are alot of douche bags that drive to boast and drive like a lunatic in the process, as I mentioned they create a bad image for the other that aren't. Don't ruin it for the others or majority that like the car and have the maturity and decency to not behave like those few.

It's not just there its an epidemic everywhere these cars are available. In a way its the double edge sword of cars, if its a fantastic car and performer it would pave a way for a future of bad drivers (small in numbers) that will make it bad for the rest.

In Australia the CRX has been on a self destruct path that today they are now rare and extremely rare to see in a clean state. For a country that had them in abundance and imported from japan says alot on the trend of premature destruction of high performance cars in the hands of drivers. All these cars are all but gone:

CRX (all generations!!)
                            Pulsar GT
                            Toyota GT4
                            Suzuki Swift GTi
                            First and Second Gen WRX
                            Mitsubishi EVo 1 to 5
                            list goes on and on

They were here in abundance then gone. Lots of news with accidents, confiscation of defects, used in robberies, theft, burnt for insurance claims etc etc etc...

it's got to the point where everyone has one now and it's not unique or cool anymore. I see as many Skylines as I see Ford F150s in a day.
                            Then your love for the car is not really "true appreciation of the car" but to boast and to be seen as a focus of envy and essentially an ego stroking tool.

Denying yourself a the car you other wise would have wanted because a few more people have them is just doing yourself a disservice.

Don't be like the Face book generation where what others think and what other say is more important than getting the that car you otherwise would have wanted and be happy owning and driving.

Originally posted by Revious View Post
                            Besides, it's all about driving what you like and making your ride -yours- in the end, right? Screw what's considered 'cool.'
                            Totally agree

Everyone is so up themselves these days that a lot of sheep is interested about gaining other peoples approval and other peoples attention and other peoples acknowledgement that they are losing the point and losing themselves.

They are also not modest and feeds on other peoples opinion of themselves hence the endless competitive display of I'm Faster, I'm more powerful, I've got what you don't.. brag here.... make them envious of me here..... show off there.... look at me here... don't you agree I'm the best there.

Just look at facebook (i got lots of friends, i got lots of likes), Twitter (i have alot of followers), youtube accounts (i have lots of subscribers).... etc etc.. all just look like a bunch of kids that can't stand on their own opinion, beliefs and in touch with themselves.

If you want a JDM car go get it for yourself. If you want to drive RHD do it for yourself. Thinking what other people have, what other people think of you, if other's are not in awe of you anymore because its no longer rare, exclusive or expensive seems like a they never grew up from the pre-school era of "I have something you want and you don't na na na na". A generation of childlike individuals when you really look at it.
                            Last edited by JDMDriver; 09-18-2013, 11:03 AM.
                            Rides:

Accord
                            92-JDM-2.0 Si- "4ws" - Cobalt Blue Pearl
                            96-AUDM-2.2 VTiS- Heather Mist

CR-X
                            88-JDM-Si- Black

CR-X Del Sol
                            92-JDM-SiR "Transtop" Motegi Edition - Silver
                            95-JDM-SiR "Transtop" Daytona Edition - Silver
                            92-JDM-SiR "Transtop" - Black

Prelude
                            91-JDM-Si-4ws "Si States" - Phoenix Red
                            91-AUDM-Si-4ws "Cita Lux Edition" - Bordeaux Red Pearl
                            91-AUDM-Si-4ws "Cita" - Cobalt Blue Pearl
                            91-AUDM-Si-4ws "Cita Lux Edition"- Gun Metal Grey

Comment

i love R32's, for some reason that gen always catches my eye more than the other 2 ( R33 & R34)
                              FRIENDS
                              DONT LET
                              FRIENDS
                              ROLL ON
                              ROTA'S

Comment

Working...
                              X