Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Quarter Panel -- The newb way?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quarter Panel -- The newb way?

Alrighty, so I've got another newb question, YAY !

I've noticed rust on the left quarter panel of my car, not that it was hard to notice or anything.

K so I was thinking of replacing the whole piece by going to pick-n-pull, but later I realized how big of a piece that was... So now I'm thinking maybe I should just cut it off where the vinyl is?

In picture, where I want to cut is highlighted in green, the rust marks circled in red.

So after cutting/replacing, I would just install a new vinyl to hide it all. Does this sound like a good way to go about this situation?

Any and all suggestions help .

^Clicky for MRT
    Kelowna Rhinoplasty and Gozie.com.

You need to remove ALL the rust to prevent rust from reoccuring.

I'm not sure what you mean by vinyl because I can't see any in the pic, But if you cut the rust out and put a patch panel in there (Assuming you remove ALL the rust) and prep it correctly, it will fix the problem.

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

I think ebay has a rear panel repair kit.
      Comes with a rear fender section and some other stuff.

Some crazy guy replaced the WHOLE rear quarter panel! Now thats involved...
      Yes you must remove ALL rust, then after you get it all together, seal it up with some quality undercoating. Perhaps rhinoliner
      And Vinyl, you meant back seat?
      Your man for wiring solutions!
      CB7Man's Coupe H22 Swap
      CB7Man's Sedan Resurrected From The Dead

Comment

you dont have much rust to get a new 1/4 panel. just grind the shit out of it and patch it. MAKE SURE YOU CLEAN THE INSIDE OF WHEEL WELL AND PAINT IT WITH RUST PROTECTER THEN SOME UNDERCOAT

Originally posted by Uncle Willey
        When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

Comment

by vinyl he means the pinstripe.

Your best bet is to replace the quarter panel, sectioning it in the rocker and c-pillar. If you've never done anything like this, do your research before attempting it.

E-bay has patch panels for 4-door sedans that are reasonably priced. You could go that route and just cut out the rusty spots and patch them with matching pieces from the patch panel.

Do you have a MIG welder?

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...=1#post1823428

My Custom BB6 Dash Swap Thread

Comment

Originally posted by wherm View Post
            by vinyl he means the pinstripe.

Your best bet is to replace the quarter panel, sectioning it in the rocker and c-pillar. If you've never done anything like this, do your research before attempting it.

E-bay has patch panels for 4-door sedans that are reasonably priced. You could go that route and just cut out the rusty spots and patch them with matching pieces from the patch panel.

Do you have a MIG welder?
            Yeah I mean pinstripe, sorry. So patch panels would be a way better idea than bondo I guess? I don't have a mig welder, but there's a few at school I'm sure I could ask to use (learned how to use them in a class called "go karts" way back when, lol).

^Clicky for MRT

Comment

Originally posted by StreetNewb View Post
              Yeah I mean pinstripe, sorry. So patch panels would be a way better idea than bondo I guess? I don't have a mig welder, but there's a few at school I'm sure I could ask to use (learned how to use them in a class called "go karts" way back when, lol).
              If you just use bondo...it'll be back in less than a year.

Just be aware that if you have that type of rust on the outer quarter panel skin, chances are the inner wheel house (where you attach the outer skin to) will be pretty bad as well, which is going to require some work to get ready to accept the new skin.

The bondo method would work if you're okay with redoing it every couple of months...but chances are it will progressively get worse.

Comment

Alright, for the inner wheel well should I just use rust cure or should I sand it?

^Clicky for MRT

Comment

i bought this: http://tasauto.com/Product/Detail.as...802&d=1659&p=1 and cut out along the lines of the patch panel and welded it on.

Originally posted by scudweiser
                  i farted while i was getting head once, i was drunk.

Comment

Originally posted by StreetNewb View Post
                    Alright, for the inner wheel well should I just use rust cure or should I sand it?
                    Your goal should be to get rid of any/all rust/corrosion. That means cutting away all the bad metal, and sanding and treating any surface rust you see.

I can't comment much beyond this as I had my rust fixed by a bodyshop who actually built me new inner wheel wells using a 200ish Maxima piece he had laying around the shop as the Accord pieces are now out of production.

Comment

Maybe I'll just rely on the shop doing it for me, I don't want to end up with either a pos job that'll be rusting again in 6 months, nor do I want a job that looks like a GM car.

Hopefully it's fairly cheap
                      Thanks for the help people.

^Clicky for MRT

Comment

also you may want to remove the rubber lining on the wheel well opening. it holds water and causes the panel to rust. remove it and spray rubberized undercoating to protect the metal
                        2013 Ice Cream Cruise!
                        VIDEO: 2012 Ice Cream Cruise
                        VIDEO: 2012 Ice Cream Cruise part 2
                        The single largest cruise in the Midwest!
                        August 3 ~ Omaha, NE

By 1320 Video

Member's Ride Thread

Comment

When I wash my car I take the rubber off and clean all the mud from that crevice, I usually find alot of crap shoved up in there.
                          Your man for wiring solutions!
                          CB7Man's Coupe H22 Swap
                          CB7Man's Sedan Resurrected From The Dead

Comment

Originally posted by JaberCB7 View Post
                            you dont have much rust to get a new 1/4 panel. just grind the shit out of it and patch it. MAKE SURE YOU CLEAN THE INSIDE OF WHEEL WELL AND PAINT IT WITH RUST PROTECTER THEN SOME UNDERCOAT
                            yes

this is what i did. worked.

just be sure to coat in the inside.

i used por15.

life is good.

Comment

Working...
                            X