Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

high quality clothing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes. I will try the men's warehouse. Thanks. I forget about that place.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=178069

Comment

You can make a cheap suit look like a great suit if you have it fitted. Look on Yelp for your area and find someone who can take the sides in and make the suit conform to your body without tightening it in the chest.

And since we're talking about suits and pants, if you have pleated fronts then it's okay to go with a cuffed bottom. If you have flat fronts you do a straight hem on the legs. Some people choose to do it differently but it's not what is typically done in nicer suits.

Also, depending on your body, you may have to buy the jacket and pants as separates. The industry standard in suits is a -6 which means that the pants paired with a particular jacket are 6 numerical sizes lower than the jacket's chest size. In my case, I'm a 42R, but I have a size 32 waist. If I bought suits instead of separates then I'd be stuck with a size 36 waist. In some cases, since dress pants fit differently than jeans, it's best to buy a size or two larger and have the waist taken in to your shape. Just make sure the legs aren't too baggy if you go larger.

There's a classic way to wear a suit and then there's a bunch of wrong ways.
      My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

The good thing is, most people don't know the difference
        Then again, those people will look at someone who does know, and they'll wonder why that person manages to look so good.

I actually didn't know all that, Jarrett. Good info!

Now I wanna take my suits to the cleaners. Both are in need of cleaning.

Comment

Originally posted by Jarrett View Post
          You can make a cheap suit look like a great suit if you have it fitted. Look on Yelp for your area and find someone who can take the sides in and make the suit conform to your body without tightening it in the chest.

And since we're talking about suits and pants, if you have pleated fronts then it's okay to go with a cuffed bottom. If you have flat fronts you do a straight hem on the legs. Some people choose to do it differently but it's not what is typically done in nicer suits.

Also, depending on your body, you may have to buy the jacket and pants as separates. The industry standard in suits is a -6 which means that the pants paired with a particular jacket are 6 numerical sizes lower than the jacket's chest size. In my case, I'm a 42R, but I have a size 32 waist. If I bought suits instead of separates then I'd be stuck with a size 36 waist. In some cases, since dress pants fit differently than jeans, it's best to buy a size or two larger and have the waist taken in to your shape. Just make sure the legs aren't too baggy if you go larger.

There's a classic way to wear a suit and then there's a bunch of wrong ways.

This guy.

He knows his shit.

Comment

^^^ All Very true. I know a couple guys and their background. I know they dont spend a fortune on their suits and they actually look well.

And then i know a few guys that's obvious they have spent a lot on a nice suit but they look like Bozo the Clown!
            Last edited by alan lx; 11-27-2012, 03:29 PM.

Comment

Some super expensive designer suits look absolutely horrid. Dolce & Gabbana has crazy expensive stuff, and I think everything they have looks like ass.

Classic styles are best. Even a slightly dated classic style is acceptable, whereas a slightly dated "high fashion" style will be laughable in a year.

Comment

This seems to be well-received so I'll toss out a few more suggestions when shopping for suits.

Avoid places like Marshall's, Stein Mart and K&G Fashions like the plague. I'm sure there are tons more that I'm just not thinking of or are just regional to you. They lure you in by offering suits from supposedly decent brands like Hugo Boss and Calvin Klein at cheap prices. If you don't know any better then you think it's a great deal. They're all polyester. A good suit will always be wool or a wool blend with other natural fibers. Those places are offering you suits that cost $10-15 to make for roughly $150-200. If you've shopped for suits at a men's clothing store or a department store you know how much cheaper that is than a typical suit. It's not worth it. Outside of safety vests and the exterior lining of thick winter coats polyester is a horrible material.

Don't be so brand conscious. The best suits at men's clothing stores most people haven't even heard of. Don't think that because something has a Giorgio Armani label on it that it's the best thing on the planet. So many companies out there benefit from the general naievity of consumerism. Clothing is one of the main culprits here. However, this doesn't mean that a good suit will be cheap. Just know that it will be an investment. A good charcoal suit will be great for weddings, funerals, interviews and formal nights. It also comes off much better than casually dressing for occasions that you shouldn't.

A 2-button suit works on nearly everyone. A 3-button looks out of place on most people under 6'-2", and even then only looks good if it has closer button spacing than a typical 2-button. If they raise the lapels to fit another button then it starts to look like a straight jacket instead of a suit. When wearing a suit you should always consider the bottom button as decoration and not functional. It should never be buttoned. That's an immediate giveaway that you don't know how to wear a suit. You don't want to cast this impression to an employer.

I think there was something else I wanted to add but I can't remember now.
                My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Good info, Jarrett. Perhaps we should take all this and transfer it to a new thread on suits!

Also, just to add... a classic company that always makes relatively affordable, well made suits is Brooks Brothers. Never flashy, but always sensible.

Comment

^^^ Agreed. Good info Jarrett. Keep it coming if you have more. Shoot, like Deev said, lets just start a new thread about suits and formal wear. You guys may think I am crazy, but one of favorite pair of pants is the dark blue Cintas uniform pants. They go with most shirts and are comfortable and i have two pair that i have had for a long time.
                    Also, for jeans, i have two pair of CC Schmidt, i got at TSC that seem to be durable. One pair is brown like Carhart. They seem to be made from good material.

Comment

+1 for Brooks Brothers. I really like a lot of their dress/sport shirts. Their patterns are bright and colorful but subdued at the same time so that it's not too loud underneath a great suit.

Comment

I picked up some Carhartt Ripstops a while back and couldn't of been more pleased. They are perfect for working. However I ended up using them to go out and stuff.

Purchased From: busak87, GunRunner, Bruce Banner, Itstatcb7kid707, tJoods, DannyD

The Caravan 2015
                        MRT:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=180919

Comment

I rock carhartts all the time for work and other stuff I like um but there expensive.
                          MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=196248

Comment

Quality rarely comes cheap.

Comment

i love that brooks brothers and carhartt are being spoken about in the same thread in subsequent posts lol

Click for my Member's Ride Thread
                              Originally posted by Stephen Fry
                              'It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so fucking what?' —Stephen Fry
                              Eye Level Media - Commercial & Automotive Photography: www.EyeLevelSTL.com

Comment

Hey, they're affordable high quality clothing... suited to different situations!
                                TypeG didn't specify what sort of clothing he's looking for.

Comment

Working...
                                X