bumper swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bumper swap

so the story goes that my 91 bumper was in bad condition and needed to be replaced. At the J.Y I came across a set of 92/93 lights the first ones I have ever seen at the jy snagged the whole thing wires and all ofcourse. At this point I looked for 92/93 bumper found a good one and got the blinkers and walked out.

Got home and decided to go to work
    Cut out the fog light holes which did not go well... then tried to install my legend lip off the car which i gave up on... took my bumper off to make room for my new one.... its on there but I damaged it and I have fitment issues
    I have bumper sag on both sides
    I broke all the grill parts that meet to the bottom (don't know why)
    and I had to push my horn's to make room for the fog light bracket
    this left me with a 5 out of 10 looking bumper.
    Now the question is was I not supposed to use the foam insert from the 91
    and how can i get rid of the bumper sag?

Durring

After

Originally posted by evil_demon_01
    Do it once, do it right.
    Saving a dollar is not worth risking a life.
    Missing My
    White -91 LX Sedan - leather converted
    Mulberry 91 EX Sedan

The project 92

You must not have lined up everything correctly. Both sides have little slider brackets that you attach the bumper to the fender that prevents sag. Better pictures might help us help you trouble shoot.
    Current 2016 Ford F150 XLT Sport
    Past 1990 Accord EX Sedan
    Past 1990 Accord LX Sedan
    Past 1991 Accord LX Sedan
    Past 1993 Accord LX Wagon
    Current 1991 Accord EX Wagon

Comment

Sorry it took me a while to get around to this. I still have my original problem of the sagging sides. I will try to go into detail a bit here

here are the sagging sides (the fender well and bumper do not match "Im guessing because I am still using 90/91's? "

I really messed up cutting out my fog light holes so that you know

I am only using the 92/93 bumper blinkers and fogs at the moment.
      I have tried re situating the foam peice inside of the bumper to line up everything
      I have tried to ajust the foglight bracket
      I have re situated my horn's because they were squished between the foglight bracket and the rad support
      All this adds to a really fed up fitting legend lip that practically is bowed out
      I will end up getting yet another bumper but I just want to know what id did wrong?

thanks

Do it once, do it right.
      Missing My
      Mulberry 91 EX Sedan

The project 92

Comment

If you tried to use the 91 grille with a 92-93 cover, there is a raised area between the headlights on the 92-93 that is not there on 90-91; the 91 grille is taller and will interfere with the 92-93 cover. If you are going to use 92-93 lights and cover, you need a 92-93 grille to make it look right.

Are the two nuts on the studs that go through to the engine compartment installed? All four bolts installed from the front on either side of the brackets (below the headlights)?Are the sides of the cover screwed to the slider brackets? Are the two mounts (a large headed screw and a plastic guide) to the slider bracket intact? If you take the bumper off again, take some pictures of the side mounts.
        90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
        08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

I seem to like the look of the 90/91 grill I expected some fit mint priblems there the sides are screwed into the brackets and both bolt and clip are.present as for the bumper itself it is lined up with all clips under the grill and lights but all thats holding it on is the foglight brackets bolted into the support top set of bolts just under the absorber and then the bolts under the car other than the fog light brackets it was reverse order of how my 90/91 came off the car. im moving so it may take some time before I can update

Do it once, do it right.
          Missing My
          Mulberry 91 EX Sedan

The project 92

Comment

Cutting out the bumper to fit the fogs is kind of hard if you do not have the proper tools. I did it with a dremel and hacksaw and still did an ok job. But to help remedy that problem with the cutout, I would recommend getting rubber trim covers (i forget the exact name of what it's called). It basically slips on any trim part. It's kind of like the chrome trim from walmart you see ricers put on their car. I used a plastic trim cover, almost the same thing, but it has adhesive so it sticks on better. I found it at an auto parts store. Hope that helps!

Members' Ride Thread :http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...82#post2939682
            My CB7 Tribute Vid..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqWFstSzLH8
            Track ready EK..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoYKsoL0i7M

Comment

There should be two screws in each fender well attaching the bumper to the car there too. Looks like you are missing those.

Comment

I really wanted to know where to get some of those *gasket like foglight covers

wildbill* I only know of the clip under the side lights if you could direct me on what I am lookijg for much would be appiciated

Do it once, do it right.
                Missing My
                Mulberry 91 EX Sedan

The project 92

Comment

These screws go into that bracket you mentioned.

Comment

okay those I have them lined up ... my car was in a accedent on.the drivers side though I did enough body work to make them line up . I actualy drilled half way between both bolts into the top hole to get rid of the gap because I just cannot get the little plastic peices to get any better than being able to fit your finger as seen in the pass side pic. those are on the car with all mounts. btw the if I forgot to say the front brace is on there with the 2 gold looking bolts and I have the foam sitting on that. I want to blame the accedent but all that is broken is the lower part of my headlight bracket at the driver side and the last bumper just had a good chunck taken out of it but was not deformed

Do it once, do it right.
                    Missing My
                    Mulberry 91 EX Sedan

The project 92

Comment

Got any photos of the accident damages? It may be misaligned because the metal supporting the bumper was tweaked. Also I have read that some had to swap bumper supports from the 90-91 bumper to the 92-93 bumper for alignment.

Comment

good point on the.bumper support I may swap that to line up the sides to the fenders. I do not have any current pics of the front end without the bumper though I will work on that asap I did not see anything off when.I.swapped and my old bumper lined up fine. again I will get the photos up asap

Do it once, do it right.
                        Missing My
                        Mulberry 91 EX Sedan

The project 92

Comment

I got rid of my project bumper and got a new one.

everything lined up great had a great time fallowing the dots. I still feel one light sticks out a bit further than the other. thanks for the idea's

Do it once, do it right.
                          Missing My
                          Mulberry 91 EX Sedan

The project 92

Comment

Working...
                          X