No announcement yet.

Ultimate engine bay/wire tuck sneak peak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prepreg carbon has the resin already im'preg'nated into the weave, and must be layed up on a mold and then vacuum sealed and baked. It must be kept at refrigerated to keep the resin from becoming tacky. This is also considered "dry carbon" if I'm correct.

Wet lay-up, like done here, uses a carbon fiber fabric that is completely dry, but a resin/epoxy must be mixed and applied and then air-dries.
    There are no black and white suspension answers!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

So is the wet lay-up basically the same thing as fiberglass? Is one better than the other?

Comment

Originally posted by Sarthos View Post
        So is the wet lay-up basically the same thing as fiberglass? Is one better than the other?
        Same concept, but carbon fiber is lighter and stronger typically.(and also more expensive)

Comment

I meant between prepreg and wet lay up carbon fiber.

Comment

I meant between prepreg and wet lay up carbon fiber.
            pre-preg has a far better surface finish, and is more uniform. Its also more expensive and harder to use.

Comment

It doesn't use the same kind of resin as fiberglass does it? I mean I couldn't just go to O Reilly's, buy a gallon of fiberglass resin and add that to CF could I? That stuff is browner.

Comment

It doesn't use the same kind of resin as fiberglass does it? I mean I couldn't just go to O Reilly's, buy a gallon of fiberglass resin and add that to CF could I? That stuff is browner.
                I'm not sure, the stuff we use at school is Aeropoxy and its about 300 dollars for a 5 gallon jug. We use it on both carbon and fiberglass.

Comment

The quality of resin directly influences the quality of final finish. There are polyester resins that are clear but i prefer to use clear epoxy resins. But yes wetting out carbon is very similar to fiberglass. but you gotta be willing do waste money if your thinking about it cause its definately a cheap hobby to learn.

My Wiretuck/ Insane engine bay
                  member ride thread
                  11.86@120mph T66 turbo 612hp F22A
                  DIVULGE MOTORSPORTS
                  People can hate all they want, my f22 is faster than yours.
                  I have literally been on this site for 10 years, I know what i am talking about!
                  John 10:18 "No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down and authority to take it up again. "

Comment

Err...do you mean isn't a cheap hobby to learn? And I already know how to work with fiberglass pretty well, so I could probably pick up on carbon fiber pretty quickly. I'd sorta like to lay some blue carbon on my dashboard, that'd look nice. Is there anything to look out for when buying carbon fiber? Like a certain thickness or is there a certain kind of epoxy resin to use?

Comment

Err...do you mean isn't a cheap hobby to learn? And I already know how to work with fiberglass pretty well, so I could probably pick up on carbon fiber pretty quickly. I'd sorta like to lay some blue carbon on my dashboard, that'd look nice. Is there anything to look out for when buying carbon fiber? Like a certain thickness or is there a certain kind of epoxy resin to use?
                      there is no such thing as blue carbon, just carbon fiber that has blue-dyed fiberglass weaved in. i hate the companies that started calling it that because people who dont know any better, like you (no offence), think that it is actually blue carbon.

as far as what to buy, there are a vast array of different weaves, thicknesses, etc out there so you'd need to do some research. a smaller twill weave will be easier to wrap around complex parts, but wont be as strong (but that's not that important with a dash), whereas a wider weave will be stronger and harder to wrap. when you do end up starting to wrap things, be very careful not to move the individual strands around or it willl clump up and look like crap. one thing i can suggest is to practice wrapping scrap parts with the fiberglass weave that looks similar to carbon fiber. if you can get that straight, carbon isnt that much harder.

Click for my Member's Ride Thread
                      Originally posted by Stephen Fry
                      'It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so fucking what?' —Stephen Fry
                      Eye Level Media - Commercial & Automotive Photography: www.EyeLevelSTL.com

Comment

I know its not the exact same stuff, but its similar stuff in most ways. It's got a strength close to carbon fiber but a little bit less, and its usually worked with in the same way as carbon fiber. And it's easier for me to say "blue carbon" than "carbon fiber with blue dyed strands woven in"

The twill weave is the visible weave pattern right? How big the actual strands are sorta? And a thinner cloth I suppose would also be easier to work with.

Comment

Originally posted by turbo90accord View Post
                          Finished my H23 plenum. welded the airbooster holes closed as well as the pcv port and polished it nice!
                          before

after

also polished the thermostat housing

Runners were just sandblasted and look brand new.

That just blows my mind! now what did you use to do the polishing... ive polished some stuff but to get that kinda shine on these cast parts is crazy!

love the engine bay to!
                          i want to carbon the inside of my trunk.

Click it.... You know you wanna
                          Bought from:Joshy,H22WAGON93, nho93accord,90accordLXGUY,phantomCB7,Tommi

Comment

just went thru all 18 pages.
                            Your work is AMAZING!
                            good luck with running 10s. I wanna see vids of it in action, cant wait.

Comment

http://www.g1teg.org/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4699
                              Last edited by xkjnboix; 12-14-2009, 05:56 AM.
                              frostwhite225@gmail.com =VENMO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOB38zJu66o

[COLOR="Magenta"]

Comment

Read all 18 pages. Nice car! Love the uniqueness.

Comment

Working...
                                X