Double Din Dash kits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Double Din Dash kits

i know theres been multiple threads about this in the past, but i still need a little clarification.

the story is i bought a Kenwood DDX319 touchscreen, it has a 6.1" screen and i know it will fit on the CB.

reading past threads it seems the best double din dash kit is metra. so i will probably look into that.
    http://www.metraonline.com/part/95-7801

still not sure if i have to take the whole dash off to put in the new dash kit or not.

from an old thread

Originally posted by UrDoneSRH View Post
    the kit sold at best buy does not do double dins for hondas (at least not my shop, others may have diff parts). the honda kits we carry are only for single din with a pocket. buy it online or at a mom n pop stereo shop.

to remove the radio there is no need to remove the whole bezel or to remove the center console even.

get a 8mm socket and ratchet. grab a flashlight/droplight. look behind the radio from down the footwell. you will see 2 8mm screws. one of the driver side and one of the pass side. just undo those, pull the radio out then pull out the other piece that those 8mm screws went through and your done! put your double din in your new kit and wire up the harness, clip in the kit.. tada.. all finished.
    with any luck (assuming your a beginner) it should only take you 30 min..

is this right?
    Last edited by Quashish; 10-21-2012, 01:38 PM.

C-3PO's MRT USDM yo!

then i see my baby, suddenly I'm not crazy,
    It all makes sense when i look into her eyes

I can't find or see any bolts securing the current single din dash kit. It seems like it just pops in and the metal cage clips to the dash kit, but I dont want to yank on the thing and crack my bezel. Any help?

I can get the deck out just not my dash kit
    Last edited by Quashish; 10-22-2012, 09:31 PM.

C-3PO's MRT USDM yo!

Comment

Fuss! Took me 4 days of searching and google to find this. This is what I needed, it was a link to a thread within a thread, so really this thread is like a thread with a link to a thread that was a link in a thread.....

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=68700

Anyways, once I get my new head unit and kit I'll post progress pics or make a diy or something
      Last edited by Quashish; 10-23-2012, 02:25 AM.

C-3PO's MRT USDM yo!

Comment

And the worst thing is that it was in the Beginner stickies . . . .

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

Probly why it took so long in searching. stickies get buried, idk how the last post in that thread was from this year

C-3PO's MRT USDM yo!

Comment

Originally posted by Quashish View Post
            Probly why it took so long in searching. stickies get buried, idk how the last post in that thread was from this year
            Stickies aren't buried, they are all in the stickie that says "Please read here first" . . .

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

Yah but for some reason google didn't come up with that result on its own. Ill check stickies for information from now on if google doesn't give me anything
              Last edited by Quashish; 10-23-2012, 03:54 PM.

C-3PO's MRT USDM yo!

Comment

I have s single/double universal mounting kit from walmart, you just remove a spacer to go from single to double DIN.

I have been considering a double DIN upgrade to an OEM CRV navigation system like Lucifer01 did. That was pure sex.

Comment

Yah but for some reason google didn't come up with that result on its own. Ill check stickies for information from now on if google doesn't give me anything
                  Ah I see, Thats a good point.
                  I have a feeling google wont search at a "2nd level" Ie a thread link within a thread.

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

Comment

Originally posted by wildBill83 View Post
                    I have s single/double universal mounting kit from walmart, you just remove a spacer to go from single to double DIN.

I have been considering a double DIN upgrade to an OEM CRV navigation system like Lucifer01 did. That was pure sex.
                    I ended up getting the metra kit, and yah it was.

Originally posted by evil_demon_01 View Post
                    Ah I see, Thats a good point.
                    I have a feeling google wont search at a "2nd level" Ie a thread link within a thread.
                    Probly not cuz when I do use google I search "(keyword) cb7tuner" when I want an answer from us, because I mean we are literally the best source for information about this chassis, its incredible.

C-3PO's MRT USDM yo!

Comment

just received the Metra kit, from the instructions i cant be certain which tabs to cut. some do have letters, however from the top going to the outside it skips "H" or "I". it has a G, blank, J, blank.

can anyone who used this kit explain better which tabs to cut? becaus i cant tell which ones supposed to be H

heres all the info from the manual

Last edited by Quashish; 10-25-2012, 08:53 PM.

C-3PO's MRT USDM yo!

Comment

That's the kit that I used on my Pioneer. Pioneer didn't come with a mount cage. You will not get any nuts and bolts to secure the assembly down b/c you cannot. You have to device your own method. I found the best method is to use plummer plastic straps. They also sell metal ones but I don't feel like getting cuts all over trying to strap it down. You just need to use the front trim from the kit if your HU comes with the cage. The cage is more secure. With the cage it's even much easier to install since you can bend the cage easily to fit into the double DIN area. Then slide the HU in to lock on the sides. You will need the metal keys to remove it. The hardest part to get to the bottom bolts to remove the OEM radio. The rest you just take time to improvise and do it.
                        Good luck.
                        There's not a lot of info on our cars and double din install. When I did mine 4 years ago, it was even less but it me a week to plan and about an hour to execute the install. However, I modified a few things over the year to secure it better. Becareful not to crack the radio bezzle.

Comment

Thanks, I was planning on using some straps.

I just got off the phone with metra the guy I talked to was an ass and no help at all. He says all the tabs have letters on them after I explained how only a few of them have letters on them and G and J only have one blank tab in between them, so I'm not sure which ones H. He just said the same thing. Then he was silent and I said so you aren't going to help me? He just said the same thing that to look at it from different angles. So that was a productive use of 30 minutes on hold

C-3PO's MRT USDM yo!

Comment

Thanks, I was planning on using some straps.

I just got off the phone with metra the guy I talked to was an ass and no help at all. He says all the tabs have letters on them after I explained how only a few of them have letters on them and G and J only have one blank tab in between them, so I'm not sure which ones H. He just said the same thing. Then he was silent and I said so you aren't going to help me? He just said the same thing that to look at it from different angles. So that was a productive use of 30 minutes on hold
                            This thing was made in China so cost was their primary concern. He's right. Some of the letters are on the tabs themselves. You have to look at all 4 sides of the front rectangular trim. I couldn't see all of the letters at first also, but I looked more carefully and saw them. Some of the letters are on the bottom and some you have to look above. I kept more than just the C and H though. I kept the ones on the top as well but I cut the clipping in part off to make it even so the kit will go in easier. My stuffs are in the storage and I hate going there when it's really windy like today. Otherwise I would look at my spare kit for you.
                            Last edited by Bad_dude; 10-26-2012, 05:59 PM.

Comment

Its cool man no worries, I just got my head unit ill mate everything up and figure it out. im getting pipe strapping right now

C-3PO's MRT USDM yo!

Comment

Working...
                              X