Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

Determine Head Gasket thickness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Determine Head Gasket thickness

So how does one determine how thick of a head gasket to use? I see several thickness available for the H22, see here. In my particular case it's a sleeved closed block with Arias pistons. I think I was using a .36 prior, but can't remember. Believe this also changes your compression ratio as the volume of combustion is part of the equationż I think there's other factors here too like if your head / block are levelled / shaved and how many times. Any input?

Thanks

Yes, the head gasket thickness is part of the compression ratio calculation. When you say "0.36", I'm pretty sure you mean "0.036". I suppose to maintain a known compression ratio, the thickness of the head gasket would need to be increased by the amount the head and/or block were shaved. So if you started with a 0.036" compressed height gasket and shaved 0.010" off both the head and block, then a 0.056" compressed height gasket would maintain the compression ratio (and valve clearance depending on whether the valves seats were remachined any or not) of the engine.
    90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
    08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Yep, understand all of that. And ya.. 0.036. But how do I calculate or determine the head gasket I'm currently using?

Comment

Engine still assembled? Is there someplace around the head/block where there is a recess in the gasket where you could slip a feeler gauge in? If you have the head gasket out, I suppose you could clamp a section in a vise or vise grips and measure it that way.
        90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
        08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

You might be able to use precision calipers to measure the thickness?
          http://www.hondanews.com/releases/19...d-introduction

Comment

I was thinking of taking the engine out this winter to do head work. But the one part I can't figure out in the rip down is how to determine what thickness of head gasket I should use. (assuming I am going with new head gasket and head bolts which I will have to). I was thinking only an engine shop could do as they would measure clearances between the block/head taking into consideration the piston to valve clearance and other factors.

Comment

Working...
            X