Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

ECU options for automatic CRV. PLEASE HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ECU options for automatic CRV. PLEASE HELP!

Hi tuners, I posted over on H-T but no replies...I need to know what ecu to use to tune an automatic tranny 1999 CRV b20z. I assume I'll need an obd1 ecu & dizzy, and a dizzy jumper harness and an obd2b to obd1 ecu adapter.....is this all the hardware I'll need?

Thanks!
    My Member's Ride Thread

Bisimoto header before & after dyno

1993 10th Anniversary: F22a6, H23IM, Bisimoto header, Custom mandrel exhaust, 5spd swap.

the answer is ...
    there is no chip computer for auto tranny

only stock computers for your crv with auto tranny
    Budget Street is offline working in the shop

drop the mouse and pick up a wrench

Originally posted by deevergote
    Good for you. You don't even know how to spell VTEC.

Comment

ODB2 doesn't have a ECU/TCU, just ECU. What are you looking to tune?

Comment

Just to clarify, I want to tune the b20 non-vtec, not tune the tranny, although adjusting shift points would be nice..... I know the tranny function is built in but can you piggyback a obd1 tcu into the harness?

Engine specs: 84.5 mm ycp pistons pushing 11:1 cr. Crower 402 cams. Header. Enough changes I'll need a tune.
        My Member's Ride Thread

1993 10th Anniversary: F22a6, H23IM, Bisimoto header, Custom mandrel exhaust, 5spd swap.

Comment

Why not keep it OBD2? It would be easier to find a ECU for OBD2 to tune than do all the custom harness to convert to OBD1.

Comment

I was under the impression obd2 is very difficult to tune. I would prefer that way if possible. Why do most people convert to obd1 if obd2 is tunable?
            My Member's Ride Thread

Comment

Hardly anyone messes with OBD2 when it comes to hondas. If it's like a teg or ek a p06 and jumper harness is needed your tuner should know exactly what is needed.

02 Crv
              02 silverado Ex cab Z71, 2011 TRD 17" wheels, 245/80/17, ls1 cam, AFE intake, 3" catback, tuned by Larry at LSXperformance&pcm tuning driven daily.
              92 Acura Legend colbalt blue LS Coupe, custom intake, custom vibrant 2.5 cat back, led cluster and high beams, 2016 Coyote GT 18x8 wheels 235/40/18.
              Coming Soon Tein TSX coilovers.

Comment

http://www.kingbolenobd.com/pid10367...stic+Cable.htm

ODB2 is more complex to tune, but not impossible.

Comment

The crv is very similar in most aspects to the ek. Using a jumper harness to convert to obd1 is straightforward for the motor, what will control the transmission though?
                  My Member's Ride Thread

Comment

The jumper harness will have a plug for a TCU to control the transmission. The ODB1 ECU will not control the transmission.

Personally I would use Power FC and do a standalone. http://apexi-usa.com/power-fc/
                    Last edited by wildBill83; 10-30-2012, 06:22 PM.

Comment

Now wait isn't the obd1 auto's p06/p28/p72/p08 etc controlled by the ecu?

02 Crv
                      02 silverado Ex cab Z71, 2011 TRD 17" wheels, 245/80/17, ls1 cam, AFE intake, 3" catback, tuned by Larry at LSXperformance&pcm tuning driven daily.
                      92 Acura Legend colbalt blue LS Coupe, custom intake, custom vibrant 2.5 cat back, led cluster and high beams, 2016 Coyote GT 18x8 wheels 235/40/18.
                      Coming Soon Tein TSX coilovers.

Comment

Originally posted by SOHC-FTW View Post
                        Now wait isn't the obd1 auto's p06/p28/p72/p08 etc controlled by the ecu?
                        Yes and no.

The ecu for automatics have different code which changes the way the engine runs for being paired with an automatic transmission, and for some ecu's can be enabled/disabled by a "hardware hack".

Now the tcu itself controls the shift points, and the transmission in general, and can also feed back info to the ecu or vice versa. These ecu's use OKI Telecom chips... think about it.

In regards to the obd2 ecu's, honda combined the ecu and tcu into one unit in most cases.
                        Last edited by cloudasc; 10-30-2012, 09:01 PM.
                        PT3/6 Development Thread | My 1991 LX Coupe | DIY: 90-93 Tcu Fix

Comment

Originally posted by wildBill83 View Post
                          http://www.kingbolenobd.com/pid10367...stic+Cable.htm

ODB2 is more complex to tune, but not impossible.
                          Do you have experience tuning with this setup? Does this work similar to a obd programmer module or different?

I have a friend with a Harley that is computer controlled and after his power adders he had a tuning module that plugged in, monitored the oem O2 sensor and tuned on the fly as he drove around. After a couple days it was programmed and it told him to remove it......sweet setup but I know this isn't available for Hondas, lol.
                          My Member's Ride Thread

Comment

I have experience with the Apex'i tuner I posted, it will save you headache in the long run.

I do not have access to the software for the other cheaper cable, but it burns a rom on the OBD2 ECU and Honda can actually tune it using their software. The problem is you cannot do the tune or tinker with it on the fly.

Personally, with the mods you have done, the Power FC standalone would be the most configurable and user friendly. You can tune on the fly and have a digital readout.

Pair that with an OBD2 monitor/data collection and you have a full circle of input/output to use to tune and can watch the effects of the tune in real time.

Comment

Originally posted by wildBill83 View Post

Personally, with the mods you have done, the Power FC standalone would be the most configurable and user friendly. You can tune on the fly and have a digital readout.
                              Well my mods list is what I HAD planned but hasn't physically happened yet. I planned $550 max for ecu + tuning and it's looking like it'll be well over $1k to get it done right. I even contacted Howard at RLZ and he won't mess with autos....tells me that I don't want to even attempt to tune it myself.

SO, I will have to postpone the high-comp build. I know these engines run pretty dang rich oem so I should have room to play to go 0.5mm OS oem design pistons, with the head and block minimally shaved, and an obx header. I'm not sure I want to run even the mild Crower 402's on the stock ecu. Larger bore and slightly higher compression is probably all the play I have in the ecu....the good thing is the b20z has a knock sensor so it'll back off timing a bit to keep the engine from detonating.

Hope we all learned a bit more through this thread, thanks for all the input!
                              My Member's Ride Thread

Comment

Working...
                              X