Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not to single you out again Fizz, BUT

Originally posted by fizzbob7
    it's been done 50+ times, but the thing isn't getting it running or even getting it running right, it's the fact that if you drive it hard like most will an h22a, it won't last but a few oil changes, even with a FULLY BUILT bottom end....it's too out of square......
    Then why does my even more "out of square" engine work and have over 40K (daily driven hard) on it and still run 12's?

benefit if you make it as stock as you can is a few hp and tq......like 3-7 of them.....
    Actually, no there is a lot more TQ much earlier in the rev band closer to 15wtq on average 1000 rpm earlier.

...the one guy who has gotten his to last past 10K has it FULLY built on the bottom but NEVER redlines it...drives it like a granny and says he's fine with that......never raced it, never ripped through the gears, never ran a sub 16 second 1/4 because he's never gotten it to redline at WOT.....says he won't....his last 3 didn't make it past 5k miles when he drove it like that....
    Then he has no confidence in his build. He should have done it right. Top Speed is a company in Japan that made "stroker kits" for the H22 using this set up. They did it with good results. The unpopularity of the Prelude in Japan was its demise. I have built several and Ironically they are still running both on and off the track for several years now.

[quote]one guy got his to work great.......after he was done, it was a 2.2 liter.....he spent nearly $4k on an h22a essentially.....
    then he needs to find a new engine builder as well.
    but there is a reason that it's uncommon
    Money and inexperience are the reasons.
    Last edited by 2point6; 03-09-2005, 12:51 PM.

Comment

2point6.. meh... u just put everything in a nutshell real quick.. lol.. rawk on dood.. well see how long adams last thou.. 10k is the goal in N/A form.. then were strapping something to it : tehe.. tehe..

Praise The Lowered...

Comment

I am not tying to be the "hot shot" here... I am speaking from experience, so take things as you will.

Comment

lol.. as if.. we spent 2k on this..???

adam got the head for under 500.. included intake manifold
          on necc parts.. this could be done for under 1,000.. is that worth it? fuck yes.. dont ppl spend 1g on bolt on parts.. (high price name brands.).. just i/h/e some ppl spend close to 1g on them.. for what gains?? this headswap alone would of been worth that.. but we took it a lil further.. hehe

Praise The Lowered...

Comment

so his setup can be duplicated for less than $2000

i'll never believe that
            I can

no other comments your honor

hey wikked- can i ship that stuff yet or NO, im waiting in library
            Nighthawk Black Pearl ES1

Comment

lol.. ur so wrong.. id post what he spent.. but that isnt my position to do so.. if u exclude all the extras(which we still got helluva deals on) this thing is in the price range of a bolt on mods..if u know where to look and whats needed etc etc.. i wont argue this.. but.. since im doing one soon.. ill make sure to keep a notepad for ya

EDIT: ship the shit already h03!!

HYBRIZ PVVN ALL

Praise The Lowered...

Comment

The "swap" can be done for well under $2000. My setup may be a different story because I have mods but lets say I started with the h23, I still have had everything done to it thus far for under $2000.
                "This is a jaded bunch. To gain notice, you have to challenge conventional wisdom, test assumptions, and ignore the naysayers."

FS Part out thread koni/skunk2 suspension, jdm pole, HID retrofit, Tanabe exhaust
                http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...10#post2119010

Comment

Damn id love to see this on a dyno and how long itll last. There has been alotta patience and so much deals goin around but not everyone can get a deal on it to look for it would be time consuming.

Comment

who said anything about using h22a tranny?

so scratch 700 off..
                    150 for ecu?? monkey nuts.. p06=50/antoine chipping=65.. that equals 115.. not no 150..

ur prices are over exaggerated.. i got a box from adams distributor for

headgasket kit
                    belts
                    water pump
                    spark plugs
                    vacumn line supply all for around 250.. so yeah 300 is over priced

your local situation has nothing to do with implying the cost of this.. no shit ppl buy online.. this entire HYBRID was done wtih purchases online/some local..

h22a1 tranny $700 SCRATCH THIS
                    h22 head $400
                    h23 block $500 umm.. ive seen h23a full swaps go for around 700.. wtf pays 500 for the block
                    ecu $150 = more like 100 -115
                    gaskets/seals/belts/hoses $300 = more like 250
                    machining $100= about right
                    miscellaneous $300= 300 on what?? lol..

Praise The Lowered...

Comment

Well, Wikked and I found every deal we needed on every single part we needed within a time span of 3 weeks. If you are dedicated....it can happen. Still well under $2000 spent. What other rumors can i dispell...lasting past 10k? It will be done...just like I said I would have this swap done.
                      Last edited by H23Accord; 03-09-2005, 02:34 PM.
                      "This is a jaded bunch. To gain notice, you have to challenge conventional wisdom, test assumptions, and ignore the naysayers."

FS Part out thread koni/skunk2 suspension, jdm pole, HID retrofit, Tanabe exhaust

Comment

holy bejesus batman.. thats a good point.. we did this RUSHED.. somethings we paid for over what they cost (like that thermostat housing ey adam lmao).. just because we knew we werent gonna find one anywhere else.. i mean.. if we had more time.. it would of been even cheaper.. but even so.. im happy with how much was spent.. and happy with the results..

Praise The Lowered...

Comment

Originally posted by H23Accord
                          Well, Wikked and I found every deal we needed on every single part we needed within a time span of 3 weeks. If you are dedicated....it can happen. Still well under $2000 spent. What other rumors can i dispell...lasting past 10k? It will be done...just like I said I would have this swap done.

Praise The Lowered...

Comment

P.S. 1000 mile marker met on the swap thus far...9000 and 1 to go

Comment

how much money and R&D do you have in YOUR setup...
                              LOL... you are right, I have too much time spent on this set-up.

...my point isn't that it's a 100% BAD setup (h23/h22a) but look at who does it...
                              All the top all motor and some turbo racers are using "stroker" engines. Some have even more rediculous rod/stroke ratios, but they are intended for track duty only and do not last long. There is always a trade off. I feel the Stock rod/crank geometry is very well designed from the factory as far as the H23 goes. If you think about it, what are the rev limits of either H22 or H23... they are not far from each other, but that is not the answer to this discusion.

..look at how much they have to spend...
                              EXACTLY... If you are going to do it right, pay the price. Literally. It can be done with the h23 crank, assuming that is the weak link here.

..i know your setup can be duplicated for much less now that you've spent all the money on R&D
                              Yes ans soon it will be even cheaper to do using the F23 crank modified for use with b series rods, But we can discuss that later.

but stroked 2.2's have a better track record than h22/h23 combos...
                              Some of those engines use the h23 crank (again assuming the the crank is the issue here) but you are right most of the TOP cars use a custom crank. Rod to stroke rations are so low, but again that is topic for another discussion.

...my point is that there is no point in doing this on a setup that isn't gonna be something similar to your's.......expecting tons of failure to get things right, expecting tons of money to be poured into it, and expecting a lot more time than anything to be put into it.......i haven't seen where anyone has been balls to the wall with it yet, as you seemed to be with your setup over it's history...
                              You are right again, People have to consider the entire build-up, not just slapping a VTEC head on the H23 block. If you do the entire build-up, all things are addressed. Oil clearances and oil pressure are the key to survival. If you don't address this, kiss the engine good-bye.

...and it isn't like the ls/vtec setup, it's different, different materials, but that process matured faster because of all the b series engines floating around...i'm sure one day this will be a rather straight forward process that can give you reliability with good power, but will it be superior and worthwhile compared to a regular h22a?
                              The developement of the H22 is increasing now, beleive it or not. K series is in the lead, but others feel the H22 can actually perform equally cheaper. I am one of those proponents. There is even more to be gained out of these power plants and with new parts on the market the future is getting brighter.

i'm open minded, have only SEEN one of these from a guy passing through (tag said h23vtec) who had it in a civic, talked to the guy a bit, but that guy now has a different setup...
                              I know you are open minded, like I said earlier my comments were in no way meant to single you out or were they meant with any disrespect. There are a lot of people who do not post on the net with their success stories. One person is just that "one" person.

..it's just that you've advanced what the h22a can be and how it's viewed, but what you done seems to kill the idea that the h23/h22 combo could be a better combo....
                              You are right, I feel my set-up is superior, but others have been successful using different aproaches. Mine just stands out on the net, because I am here to talk about it.

i'm into overall efficiency and the h22a isn't bested by the h23/h22 setup in that category...
                              Efficiency is an opinion... I feel more TQ earlier in the rev band is more efficient. Others like RPM's...

you've proven that the h22a's limits are yet to be seen......in whatever form....that's kind of my point......not that it's just a faulty design but when comparing it to an h22a you could say that it is.....i think
                              What I have done is build a lot of H series engines... I pay attention to what works and what doesn't based on experience alone. I don't trust all that I read, so I wouldn't expect you to do so either. I respect your points here that is why I am engaging in this very good discussion with you.

Comment

Damn 2point6 you are mr hardcore when it comes to the h22 builds bro .(tips his hat ) . yeah but let the hseries comes with 11:5:1 besides the type s with a better map for the computer that adjusts itself whenever you add a mod to it we would probably be near them very close.

Comment

Working...
                                X