Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oil leak down the front splash guard. Where is it coming from?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil leak down the front splash guard. Where is it coming from?

1990 Honda Accord LX, AT. 167K miles. I recently have this oil leak, not sure where's it's from. But it drips down the front passenger side of the splash guard below. Please see the photos below. It seems to be fresh oil. I just changed my oil recently. Changed the oil to Mobile One high mileage full synthetic. I wonder if changing oil caused the leak. I am real worry that it's the rear main seal. I think the oil pressure switch is leaking and could the leak there cause it to drip down to the splash guard? Or is it the oil o-ring? I hope it's not a major one. I keep good maintenance on this car. What would cause a leak on the rear main seal?

For the Oil switch replacement, do I need to remove the oil filter to do it? What size socket do I use? Replacement part must be OEM Honda or Autozone stuff will work?

The oil cooler ring, how do I distinguish it from the leak of the oil switch?

If the rear main seal leaks, where about does it leak from usually? Does it leak tranny fluid or oil?
    Thanks.

First off, the obvious has to be asked. Could you have possibly spilled some oil while doing the oil change?

Oil doesn't just appear, it has to come from somewhere! There's also this thing called gravity, it causes things to get pulled downwards, look above the spot where the oil is collecting. Not trying to be a smartass, but you can't rule out the basics.

The surrounding area looks pretty dry.

The oil cooler is in the back, so it's unlikely oil dripping from the back of the motor and ending up on the splash shield below the rad area.

Have a good look at the ATF cooler feed and return lines, inspect the hoses/fittings carefully.

Comment

I have inspect all possibilities before posting here. Can't seem to find it. No I have not spill any oil during the oil change. I follow the power steering hoses and pipe toward the front and all bone dry. Thus I am asking for ideas and experience here. My apartment complex doesn't allow any car work any more. Looks like I have to take it to the mechanic.
      ATF cooler feed and return lines, where are those located or running through? Are they the metal lines toward the front by the radiator?
      Thanks.

Comment

Last edited by Tishock; 01-07-2015, 02:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tishock View Post

Is that tranny hose? I cannot fix it right now until maybe the weekend. Is it safe to drive it until then given the pictured condition? Is it a real messy job, what kind of hose could I buy? Does it have to be OEM hose? Any DIY on this one? The oil that's leaking onto the splash guard looks yellow/brown like engine oil and not red like tranny fluid though? While I am there, might as well change the other one. Do I have to drain the tranny?
          What is this hose called?
          Thanks.
          Last edited by Bad_dude; 01-07-2015, 02:28 PM.

Comment

im with flip-eye and tishock on this one because one of your tranny hose looks a little wet, if there is no leakage there, take a look at the bottom side of the distributor to see if its a little wet there. good luck buddy

Comment

I don't know the history of your car but a past owner may have used engine oil instead of ATF.

The lines are easy to replace and can be purchased at any auto parts store. Just tell the parts guy what type hose your replacing. I think the Hose I.D. is 11/32"

Worst case scenario is the radiator maybe damaged. Leaking from the lower fittings on the radiator or the radiator is cracked.

Comment

Originally posted by UNeeKToNy View Post
                im with flip-eye and tishock on this one because one of your tranny hose looks a little wet, if there is no leakage there, take a look at the bottom side of the distributor to see if its a little wet there. good luck buddy
                The dizzy is dry, I just replaced the o-ring a few months ago, checked that. The oil I cleaned off the guard looks like power steering or engine oil more than Tranny oil. Could it turn brownist exposing to air?
                Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Bad_dude View Post
                  The dizzy is dry, I just replaced the o-ring a few months ago, checked that. The oil I cleaned off the guard looks like power steering or engine oil more than Tranny oil. Could it turn brownist exposing to air?
                  Thanks.
                  Tough for power steering fluid to get over there. Is your tranny fluid actually red? How long since the fluid has been changed? An EX coupe I bought in 2004 had toasted the transmission fluid until it was almost a golden color. If it is that color, do a drain/refill/drive at least three times to get about 80% new fluid in the transmission. As noted earlier, gravity causes the fluid to run down, airflow through the engine bay will cause it to flow toward the back, so follow leaks up and forward to find the source.

PS: I wish any of my engines looked as clean as those photos!
                  90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
                  08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

ok. After work tonight, I checked and there was full of oil right below the PS pump. It was real wet so I think it's the pump. So I think it's the pump that's failing and the fluid is leaking from below b/c it's not from the shaft seal nor the side seal as I can't see the leak from there. It has to be below. But there else there would other type of leak could be? Crank seal or cam seal? If it was one of these seals, where would you usually find the oil?
                    As for the front Tranny cooler hose, there's a tiny leak but very slow from what seem to be from the bolt above higher than arrow in Tishock's photo. So the leak probably damage the rubber hose below. So the hose below is rubber right? To replace this hose do I need to drain the tranny. I drive only less than 6000 miles a year and the last time I changed it was less than 6000 miles ago. I still have some fluid left so no biggie.
                    Question:
                    1) Drain and fill, how many bottles do I need. I think I have two bottles left.
                    2) Power Steering fluid, how many bottles to fill the pump and reservoir. I think I have 2.5 bottles left.
                    3) Oil pressure switch is not dripping but it looks really wet, so that need to be replaced. I just changed my oil and I don't want to drain by removing the filter to get to the switch. What size socket do we use on this?

Thanks.

Comment

Just went out and took some more photos. Please let me know what you guys think.

Comment

The switch probably just recently leak properly due to me switching to Mobile 1 high mileage then to high mileage full synthetic.

Comment

I change my Honda Tranny fluid regularly 20-25K, by drain and fill. What is the possibility the cooler clogged and the cooling line clogged? It seems like leak from above where the big above that metal part of the line. I have some black thin particles hanging around the bolt on the top that hold the metal piece down.
                          How do I know if the tranny is overheating? It drives and shifts really smooth. The fluid is still light red like it should.
                          Thanks.

Comment

I'm confused. Everything I see in the pictures looks dry, even the power steering pump. I have had those leak at the housing splitline, not necessarily just the shaft seal. If your tranny fluid is red, then any leakage of trans fluid would be red as well. If it is a nice red color, then your trans isn't running excessively hot. The drops in the original photos appear to be from the right side of the splash shield; is it dripping onto the shield right there, or from elsewhere and running across to that point?
                            90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
                            08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Originally posted by fleetw00d View Post
                              I'm confused. Everything I see in the pictures looks dry, even the power steering pump. I have had those leak at the housing splitline, not necessarily just the shaft seal. If your tranny fluid is red, then any leakage of trans fluid would be red as well. If it is a nice red color, then your trans isn't running excessively hot. The drops in the original photos appear to be from the right side of the splash shield; is it dripping onto the shield right there, or from elsewhere and running across to that point?
                              The pump is leaking but barely. But you are right, it was leaking from the split line and leak worse right after I took these pictures after I drove to work and back. I have replaced it with a used one.
                              As for the transmission cooling line leak, it's dry but the cloth cover looks wet and got dirt on it so it's darker. The leak seems to be coming from that bolt where my finder is pointing below. It's very small leak. The leak has to be coming from above due to gravity then down the line, I am not sure if it's at the radiator connector. I wonder if the solenoid screen is clogged below to cause this leak at the line bolt? The tranny shifts fine and the fluid is red like it should be. The solenoids are dried with no leak. I am afraid to take them off and damage the o-rings on them. These o-rings are like $25 a piece at the dealership. Anyone has a spare set of the solenoid to send to me? My local junkyard are all stripped.

Comment

Working...
                              X