Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oil leak down the front splash guard. Where is it coming from?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If I pull the solenoid to clean, will there be a lot of fluid that will come out? I don't need to drain the tranny do I?
    Thanks.

Comment

If the transmission shifts fine, you shouldn't need new solenoids. The "o-ring" is actually more like a gask-o-seal. There are a couple of seals built into a plate with screens to protect the solenoids. I've replaced a couple sets (it is tough getting to the lower one) to stop leaks; I've never found anything in the screens so I doubt yours are blocked. You won't loose much fluid and you don't have to drain the transmission.

I still don't see anything in the picture that looks like a large enough leak to cause the drops under the car in the first photos.
      90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
      08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Originally posted by fleetw00d View Post
        If the transmission shifts fine, you shouldn't need new solenoids. The "o-ring" is actually more like a gask-o-seal. There are a couple of seals built into a plate with screens to protect the solenoids. I've replaced a couple sets (it is tough getting to the lower one) to stop leaks; I've never found anything in the screens so I doubt yours are blocked. You won't loose much fluid and you don't have to drain the transmission.

I still don't see anything in the picture that looks like a large enough leak to cause the drops under the car in the first photos.
        So you don't recommend that I remove the bottom one as it might start leaking and cannot be stopped? Right both solenoids are not leaking.

Thanks

Comment

what about the line that rums in front of the rad ? that might be leaking .
          this was put together by evil_demon_01 . You can also fined all this and more by him in the Common Beginner Technical Info can be found in here. PLEASE READ HERE FIRST

Not this one though.1990 to 1993 accord fuel psi .

Car safety checks

Diagnose a Check Engine Light (also S/D4 transmission error codes)
          How to Set Base Idle Properly (F22ax, F22bx)
          Cheapest Suspension Setup to Lower Your CB7

Fluid Capacities

Comment

Originally posted by Accord problems View Post
            what about the line that rums in front of the rad ? that might be leaking .
            It looks like the tiny leak ran from the bolt above onto the rubber hose below. I think it might be ok to drive it for now until I could get a hose to replace it. Do you know if I would lose a lot of fluid if I replace this hose? What are the chance that this hose is clogged?
            Thanks.

Comment

You shouldn't lose too much when replacing the hose. Not likely for it to be clogged, if so you'd probably be toasting your tranny because no flow would be going to the cooler.

It still bothers me that you say the fluid is brown, not red. Do you possibly have a leak in the power steering cooler that runs across the front of the AC condenser (even though all the connections are on the driver's side end of the cooler)?

I don't think anyone answered your rear main seal question; it would leak oil (it is the crankshaft seal at the transmission end of the engine). This usually shows up as oil leaking at the small splash shield on the bottom of the transmission housing where it mates with the engine block.
              90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
              08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

You shouldn't lose too much when replacing the hose. Not likely for it to be clogged, if so you'd probably be toasting your tranny because no flow would be going to the cooler.

It still bothers me that you say the fluid is brown, not red. Do you possibly have a leak in the power steering cooler that runs across the front of the AC condenser (even though all the connections are on the driver's side end of the cooler)?

I don't think anyone answered your rear main seal question; it would leak oil (it is the crankshaft seal at the transmission end of the engine). This usually shows up as oil leaking at the small splash shield on the bottom of the transmission housing where it mates with the engine block.
                The brown fluid I think is actually PS fluid. The dip stick from my tranny is red. But it's most likely from the pump. I don't think the rear main seal is leaking. The oil switch is, but very little for now. Probably take care of that on the next oil change. What about the O-ring for the oil cooler, should I replace that for preventive maintenance?
                Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Bad_dude View Post
                  The brown fluid I think is actually PS fluid. The dip stick from my tranny is red. But it's most likely from the pump. I don't think the rear main seal is leaking. The oil switch is, but very little for now. Probably take care of that on the next oil change. What about the O-ring for the oil cooler, should I replace that for preventive maintenance?
                  Thanks.
                  I still don't see how PS fluid from the pump gets to the right side of the splash guard. Can't hurt to change the cooler seal, it isn't very difficult. Remove the filter; there is a hex on the center post (from which you just removed the filter); this post holds the cooler to the block.

Comment

I still don't see how PS fluid from the pump gets to the right side of the splash guard. Can't hurt to change the cooler seal, it isn't very difficult. Remove the filter; there is a hex on the center post (from which you just removed the filter); this post holds the cooler to the block.
                    Where's the seal at? You have a diagram or a DIY how to do this? When you say "remove the filter" you mean the air filter or the some other filter?
                    What's the part number for the seals?
                    What's the part number for the cooler lines? Which hose is leaking on mine? #15 or #16?

Thanks.
                    Last edited by Bad_dude; 01-13-2015, 06:57 PM.

Comment

Mine seem to leak from the banjo nut. Do you think it's the washer or the casing that is cracked? Check out this video and the posting below it.
                      Right before Christmas, some dumb woman bump me from the rear with her Mustang. And all the leaks starts happening. The bump was ever so lightly. I was at a stop red light waiting to turn right and she just went on from behind and not yield for my brake lights. Tiny scratch on the bumper but no malformed body parts. Do you guys think this could have cause a tranny case crack? The line under the banjo bolt, is it metal or plastic below? There's some little of black residue around the bolt that looks like burned paper, very thin. But from checking the fluid, it's still pink.
                      Video
                      AngryTroll also mentioned the banjo nut leak from the washer here.
                      Last edited by Bad_dude; 01-11-2015, 11:49 PM.

Comment

what ever it is leaking please don't jb weld like them num nut's did.
                        this was put together by evil_demon_01 . You can also fined all this and more by him in the Common Beginner Technical Info can be found in here. PLEASE READ HERE FIRST

Not this one though.1990 to 1993 accord fuel psi .

Car safety checks

Diagnose a Check Engine Light (also S/D4 transmission error codes)
                        How to Set Base Idle Properly (F22ax, F22bx)
                        Cheapest Suspension Setup to Lower Your CB7

Fluid Capacities

Comment

Mine seem to leak from the banjo nut. Do you think it's the washer or the casing that is cracked? Check out this video and the posting below it.
                          Right before Christmas, some dumb woman bump me from the rear with her Mustang. And all the leaks starts happening. The bump was ever so lightly. I was at a stop red light waiting to turn right and she just went on from behind and not yield for my brake lights. Tiny scratch on the bumper but no malformed body parts. Do you guys think this could have cause a tranny case crack? The line under the banjo bolt, is it metal or plastic below? There's some little of black residue around the bolt that looks like burned paper, very thin. But from checking the fluid, it's still pink.
                          Video
                          AngryTroll also mentioned the banjo nut leak from the washer here.
                          Banjo bolt washers are typically metal. I don't think the bump from the rear would cause the problems you're having.

Where's the seal at? You have a diagram or a DIY how to do this? When you say "remove the filter" you mean the air filter or the some other filter?
                          What's the part number for the seals?
                          What's the part number for the cooler lines? Which hose is leaking on mine?

Thanks.
                          I thought you were talking about changing the oil (engine) cooler seal. The oil cooler on EX models is between the oil filter and the back of the engine block. Item 23 holds the oil cooler, item 22, to the block.

Last edited by Fleetw00d; 01-12-2015, 01:25 PM.

Comment

Does my LX even have an oil cooler seal? Is the seal #34?
                            Thanks.
                            Last edited by Bad_dude; 01-12-2015, 01:32 PM.

Comment

OK. So I sprayed some carborator cleaner on the front tranny cooler line and then stuck my hand under the splash guard to trace the leak. Well, it's the end of that hose into the bottom of the radiator so I assume it's the cooler nibble. So I have a few things to ask:
                              1) I am still thinking if I spilled anything on the hose and tried to clean it off with Carb cleaner thus the fluid pool toward the bottom and onto the front guard. But since the oil look fresh, I assume it's the hose.

2) Is it just the rubber hose with the chriscross cloth cover that is leaking so replacing this hose should fix the leak, but it seems the leak is going against gravity, could I assume this hose is the return hose to the tranny? Which hose in my diagram above I need to replace for my case? #15 or #16?

3) My biggest fear is the crack at the nibble of the cooler. Is the tranny cooler a separate unit that could be just replaced or is it stuck to the radiator which I must replace the whole radiator? I am afraid to touch it for now since I won't be off work until this coming Monday and taking the hose off might break the nipple and I can't drive the car any more.

Pic of the oil below the splash guard where the cooler nipple is.

These two photos are the tranny oil from the dip stick.

Last edited by Bad_dude; 01-14-2015, 02:34 AM.

Comment

OK. So I sprayed some carborator cleaner on the front tranny cooler line and then stuck my hand under the splash guard to trace the leak. Well, it's the end of that hose into the bottom of the radiator so I assume it's the cooler nibble. So I have a few things to ask:
                                1) I am still thinking if I spilled anything on the hose and tried to clean it off with Carb cleaner thus the fluid pool toward the bottom and onto the front guard. But since the oil look fresh, I assume it's the hose.

2) Is it just the rubber hose with the chriscross cloth cover that is leaking so replacing this hose should fix the leak, but it seems the leak is going against gravity, could I assume this hose is the return hose to the tranny? Which hose in my diagram above I need to replace for my case? #15 or #16?

3) My biggest fear is the crack at the nibble of the cooler. Is the tranny cooler a separate unit that could be just replaced or is it stuck to the radiator which I must replace the whole radiator? I am afraid to touch it for now since I won't be off work until this coming Monday and taking the hose off might break the nibble and I can't drive the car any more.[/IMG]
                                1) Did you spill enough to have as big a puddle as the original picture showed? You have a typing impediment, turn the "b"s upside down - the word is "nipple". Take the splash shield off, clean the area real well, then look for the source of the leak.

2) One hose is the supply to the cooler; the other is return. Replace whichever hose is leaking. I have also had the nipples leak on aftermarket radiators; make sure it is tight in the radiator.

3) As above, it is more likely a loose nipple than a crack in the radiator (although that is possible). The transmission cooler is an integral part of the radiator and cannot be replaced separately.

Comment

Working...
                                X