Coolant Guage Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coolant Guage Issue

So a while back I noticed my guage was acting a little funny, taking it a little longer to start moving, staying "warm" after the car was off for a certain period of time, etc.. Eventually it stopped working all together and has not moved from just a little above cold since. So I figured the sending unit went bad, I went to replaced and went hulk mode and broke it off. I wound up having to bring it to the shop to have it taken out, I got frustrated with it and didn't want to mess with it anymore. Anyways, there about to put the new one in but he said this will not fix my guage. According to the mechanic he said that that the sending unit has power and when he grounded it out the guage never moved so something has to be wrong with the guage itself. Has anyone else had this issue? What could be causing this? I'm hoping its not a fried spot on the cluster cause I'm wanting to be able to keep my original cluster in the car, and I'm not the best at soldering.

If at first you don't suceed, then skydiving is not for you.

I try not to down talk anyone, when I read my old questions I realize I was an idiot too.

I had problems with a fuel gauge and the temperature gauge in my wagon, as well as a corroded area on the printed circuit board. You could check your printed circuit board, and if good, try swapping the just the gauge within your cluster. I have several clusters in various states of disassembly; I grab clusters on my junk yard runs looking for ones with uncorroded boards.
    90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
    08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Mine acts funny too. It never goes to the middle where it's supposed to be, it's always a little below it. I replaced the coolant temp sensor and now it reads even cooler. I was thinking my car was running rich with it always low like that.

Comment

Originally posted by F22Chris View Post
        Mine acts funny too. It never goes to the middle where it's supposed to be, it's always a little below it. I replaced the coolant temp sensor and now it reads even cooler. I was thinking my car was running rich with it always low like that.
        I found out mine on my current CB the temp gauge sender wasn't screwed all the way into the head when I was checking to see what was wrong with it one day. As soon as I screwed the sucker in where it was supposed to be it fixed my issue with reading colder than it should. My first CB had your issue and I just replaced it.
        Last edited by BreckAConner; 05-05-2015, 09:11 AM.
        For Sale Thread CLICK HERE!

1991 CB9 EX Wagon

1990 CB7 EX Sedan

1997 RA1 LX Wagon

CB7Tuner Discord CLICK ME! -- http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...02#post3285402

Comment

Actually if you can get your gauge cluster out this is not hard at all. Go to the junk yard find an exact matching cluster before buying it check for any burn-corroded marks on the circuit board by unscrewing the back white cover. Then if its good you unscrew all the screws-unplug all connectors from both of them and transfer once you get into the gauge cluster its pretty visible what you have to do just be very careful with the little wires and you should probably swap the bulbs from one to another if all of your lights were working.

One suggestion if you do this label every screw because there's many to be mixed up and take it easy on the trim piece lol you'll need a long magnetized screw driver Phillips a short one for under the radio and a really small glasses type flat head to pop all the buttons. I thought it was hard and scary to do til I did it a few times lol it just takes times and patients unless you wanna break something on your dash ahahah.
          Last edited by Kev1990; 05-05-2015, 09:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BreckAConner View Post
            I found out mine on my current CB the temp gauge sender wasn't screwed all the way into the head when I was checking to see what was wrong with it one day. As soon as I screwed the sucker in where it was supposed to be it fixed my issue with reading colder than it should. My first CB had your issue and I just replaced it.
            On my old sender unit, the porcelain for the wires and connector were super loose. The plug itself didn't even stay on well. I went hulk as well and broke the connector off, but I had a new sender so whatever. Busted the hell out of knuckle on the dizzy though it's in there well too.

Comment

Originally posted by Kev1990 View Post
              Actually if you can get your gauge cluster out this is not hard at all. Go to the junk yard find an exact matching cluster before buying it check for any burn-corroded marks on the circuit board by unscrewing the back white cover. Then if its good you unscrew all the screws-unplug all connectors from both of them and transfer once you get into the gauge cluster its pretty visible what you have to do just be very careful with the little wires and you should probably swap the bulbs from one to another if all of your lights were working.

One suggestion if you do this label every screw because there's many to be mixed up and take it easy on the trim piece lol you'll need a long magnetized screw driver Phillips a short one for under the radio and a really small glasses type flat head to pop all the buttons. I thought it was hard and scary to do til I did it a few times lol it just takes times and patients unless you wanna break something on your dash ahahah.
              I wish I would have gotten seen something about this before Saturday lol. I made a trip to one of the junk yards in my area and got a guage from the wrong car, even though from my previous research on here I still failed to even think about the difference between the two types, I just saw a 92/93 lx with a 5 speed (which was the only 5 speed at the junk yard) and grabbed the guage out, I only grabbed the guage not the whole cluster since it had a couple burn marks and because I would rather not swap the entire cluster since mine is still the original and has no burn marks. I'm always super careful taking the trim off, considering the one I have is the only one in 3 junk yards that didnt have any cracks in it lol. I'm going to check junk yard 2, 3, and possibly 4 this coming weekend hopefully.

I try not to down talk anyone, when I read my old questions I realize I was an idiot too.

Comment

Lol grab the whole dam cluster it should cost you 15-25 if that make sure you check for burn marks like I said. You took apart the cluster is what your saying and just took the temperature gauge? Most likely if you look at your current cluster you will find burn marks on the circuit board around the area that's not working. Try to find one that's exactly the same year as yours. A while back I bought a 91 ACCORD auto cluster thinking it would fit a 90 Auto nope they are not interchangeable by years at least for the automatics LOL. But in a way they are because you can swap out the circuit boards.
                Last edited by Kev1990; 05-07-2015, 09:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kev1990 View Post
                  Lol grab the whole dam cluster it should cost you 15-25 if that make sure you check for burn marks like I said. You took apart the cluster is what your saying and just took the temperature gauge? Most likely if you look at your current cluster you will find burn marks on the circuit board around the area that's not working. Try to find one that's exactly the same year as yours. A while back I bought a 91 ACCORD auto cluster thinking it would fit a 90 Auto nope they are not interchangeable by years at least for the automatics LOL. But in a way they are because you can swap out the circuit boards.
                  Thats what threw me off is that I pulled one from the same year and trim model and it was different lol. I'm trying not to get rid of my cluster in my car if I can help it. It does not have any burn marks on the board anywhere, the temp guage just doesnt work. The best way I can explain it is on the guage from the junk yard I could move the needle to hot and it would fall back to cold, mine however when I move it anywhere it sticks and doesn't fall back to cold. The only reason I only took the guage out of the junk yard one was because that board was burnt and it was the only 5 speed cluster in the yard. I plan on going to another yard either this weekend or next to try and find the correct one.

Comment

Working...
                  X