ENG: diy plenum spacer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cool.

When i did mine, i wasnent smart enough to buy X-tra hoses, and i think there was 1 coolant line that didnt reach. Thankfully i got a ride to Autozone..

Comment

best way to do this if ur an lx or dx
      is get also the thermostat housing, and start measuring lines and cutting, so when it comes to put the intake on it'll be cake

losi: stop worring bout if it will clear, just start on it on a weekend and just do it

personally, i saw bb6sh with the blacktrax and i decided to make it i didnt worried bout clearences, it was a tight fit but, it worked, do it on ur day off, and start very early, u'll see ho easy it is

ikayto, in my car i bypassed the sensor that goes to the throttle BD, the only coolant lines that go to my car are for the IAVC

any success stories?
      Originally posted by deevergote
      Just do what PR CB7 said.

"I'm Going For Wood" (Clickey Clickey)

Comment

okay I finally got around to doing it, got the rod and that vacuum thing off the side, now use what? JB weld to plug the holes? do i need to prep it w/ anything or should the JB weld stick okay?

Last edited by Losiracer2; 06-07-2008, 06:49 AM.

member's ride thread
        93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
        99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
        91 Accord SE 176k
        97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Originally posted by Losiracer2 View Post
          okay I finally got around to doing it, got the rod and that vacuum thing off the side, now use what? JB weld to plug the holes? do i need to prep it w/ anything or should the JB weld stick okay?

Take some carb cleaner to it as well, and take a cloth to it to make it as clean and dry as possible. I Hondabonded the two ends, and that's all. It doesn't whistle at all.

^^click it or ticket^^

Comment

dont clean it just clean the surface of where ur pluggin the holes, and after its dried, get some sand paper and sand the jbweld, till its smooth,

jbweld (not jbquick) takes from 3 to six hours to dry

step 1: put some tape on the back side of each hole
            step 2: mix the jb weld
            step 3: fill the holes (try to smoothen out the side where's no tape
            step 4: place the spacer vertically so the jb weld can dry (the tape is so u dont have spend a lotta time sanding and so it doenst run through the other side
            step 5: dried remove the tape, carefully
            step 6: wetsand the holes with 400grit
            step 7: make sure ALLLLLLL the holes are filled (if not repeat)
            step 8: slap it in and enjoy

remeber u can always use double gutted spacers, but i learned since most single cams dont rev that high its not worth it, deleting the 1 of the butteflies would consist of low end torque loss

Comment

i did this to my h22 and it gained alot of down low torque, but that was it. I did not have any clearance issuses either
              "Self Renewed"

Comment

Let us know if you feel any real diff... I just did the H23 plenum upgrade and noticed slight increase in power. I don't have to press the gas pedal as much to get up to speed anymore... and of course, the car makes more intake noise!!! I'm still using the stock rubber tubing to an open filter...

Comment

haha WOW, this was TOUGH, esp. w/ my 3" prelude intake on there. I'll take some pics to show you how close i'm cutting it later. But the strut bar was a no go. The intake was about half an inch too high, once I had the IAB plate all on there.

member's ride thread
                  91 Accord SE 176k

Comment

Originally posted by PR CB7 View Post
                    dont clean it just clean the surface of where ur pluggin the holes, and after its dried, get some sand paper and sand the jbweld, till its smooth,

jbweld (not jbquick) takes from 3 to six hours to dry

step 1: put some tape on the back side of each hole
                    step 2: mix the jb weld
                    step 3: fill the holes (try to smoothen out the side where's no tape
                    step 4: place the spacer vertically so the jb weld can dry (the tape is so u dont have spend a lotta time sanding and so it doenst run through the other side
                    step 5: dried remove the tape, carefully
                    step 6: wetsand the holes with 400grit
                    step 7: make sure ALLLLLLL the holes are filled (if not repeat)
                    step 8: slap it in and enjoy

remeber u can always use double gutted spacers, but i learned since most single cams dont rev that high its not worth it, deleting the 1 of the butteflies would consist of low end torque loss
                    yeah thats exactly what I ended up using, JB weld, that stuff cured in 4 hrs and then I took my dremel to it and sanded it smooth. It worked out great, and I can't even feel the holes anymore. I didn't sand paper it since I did a pretty good job on the dremeling.

Originally posted by CB7lx91 View Post
                    Take some carb cleaner to it as well, and take a cloth to it to make it as clean and dry as possible. I Hondabonded the two ends, and that's all. It doesn't whistle at all.
                    yeah carb cleaner is what i used, that was a NASTY plate too, the car I took it off of had 341K miles! The butterflies were gunked w/ oil/sludge/grease. But thank god i'm not using those

member's ride thread
                    91 Accord SE 176k

Comment

hell yeah dude, congrats on the install. To bad you had to lose the strut bar, but you'll be the judge of whether its worth it or not.

^^click it or ticket^^

Comment

hell yeah dude, congrats on the install. To bad you had to lose the strut bar, but you'll be the judge of whether its worth it or not.
                        yeah it also kinda sorta hits the hood a little bit, I was thinking about cutting the intake in half and using a coupler, then i could twist the pipe a bit and it might, just might clear the strut bar. But who knows, I'm just glad the hood closes w/ both IAB plates and my intake.

member's ride thread
                        91 Accord SE 176k

Comment

only bummer is (as far as i know) you cant buy the gasket separate lol. Gotta spend the 15 bux and buy the gasket set
                          I have ordered the IAB gaskets seperate several times.

www.hondaautomotiveparts.com
                          The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

so losi any comments on performance for the a6?

Comment

Originally posted by PR CB7 View Post
                              ok
                              6 to get rid of something u gotta start at the source, i this case hondata intake mani gasket helps more that the blacktrax plate, having both i thinks is a waste of money
                              I highly disagree with this statement. Especially since WITH the Hondata IM gasket, my plenum still gets hot enough to where you can't touch it without burning yourself. ANYTHING that drops intake temps is going to result in an increase in power. Period.

Comment

Originally posted by KeelesKustome View Post
                                i did this to my h22 and it gained alot of down low torque, but that was it. I did not have any clearance issuses either
                                Did you use one empty plate, and one plate with the IAB's still in it? If so, that is probably why. I would expect similar results to the blacktrax dynos, and the IAB plates make a restriction up top.

By far the best gains on the H22 came with two empty plates. There was no real loss down low, and a VERY good gain up top. About 8 whp if I remember correctly.

Comment

Working...
                                X