INT : Map light install EX and SE trim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

looks like it was made for there.

i just got a set and i cut a "chunk" of the cd5 headliner for template and i was just lazy.

although can u make them turn on w/ the door and switch?

Comment

Originally posted by kc8enb07 View Post
      looks like it was made for there.

i just got a set and i cut a "chunk" of the cd5 headliner for template and i was just lazy.

although can u make them turn on w/ the door and switch?
      Well thats what happen to me when I did this diy. everytime i would open my door that when they would come on. but the button had to be on for it to do so. if the door closed they would turn off and could not turn it on uless i opened the door. so i took apart the back light again and checked to see why it was doing this

and this is why:

The diy said to connect the white with the white and the black with the black and white wire . the black and white wire is what tells the light to come on when the door is open. to make the maplight work the right way you have to connect the black wire to the ground were i marked it in the picture.

if you want it to turn on when you open the door and still be able to use it while the door is closed then i think you mat need a diffrent maplight that does that on the car it came from ?

Links to my rides :
      1992 Accord EX*
      1990 Accord EX
      1991 Accord SE (4th)
      1991 Accord SE (3rd)
      1991 Accord SE (2ND)
      1991 Accord SE

Comment

Well, time to edit this post again. A solution has been found to making the Map lights come on when the doors open. It's cheap and fairly easy to wire up if you follow the chart and explaination. I didn't have these so it took me a while to get done, but this shoudl save anyone else interested some time.

Things required:
        Soldering Iron/Solder
        Two Relays. I got 40amps for foglights/horns for $3.99ea at O'reillys
        Roll of 22gauge wire.
        I would go ahead and buy a roll because I didn't measure it, you can chance it with the following info if you want. You'll need Two lengths long enough to reach from the Dome light to the Map lights, and Four lengths to reach from the Dome light to the ECU(Relays wont fit under the headliner and down the pillar is a breeze.)
        Electrical tape/shrink wrap.
        Speaker style, Crimp-On wire ends(for the relays) You need atleast (8).
        Some of these you may already have from the original DIY, some you may need to get, but this is all it takes as far as materials.

So here's the wiring diagram:

Legend:
        Red: Splice into white domelight wire.
        Blue: Wrap around dome light nut stud.. ... ... lol
        Pink: This is hard to explain. It can be soldered to OR slid under, the "Drivers Side Bulb Contact" on the backside of the domelight. The contacts have holes in them. I took the bulb out and soldered the wire into the hole, you can just as easily slid it under the brass contact that leads to it(very short) and it woudl be fine since everythign gettings pressed in place when you tighten it up.
        Green: Splice into black domelight wire.
        Brown: These are soldered to the back of the Map lights:

The rest is pretty straight forward. I have only been finished with them abotu an hour but they are workign flawlessly so far. A lot of people I talked to said it couldnt be done and well, they were wrong. LOL

The only drawback is:
        If you turn the domelight "off" because you dont want it to come on when you open the doors, well, these will still come on. It's not worth trying to fix to me, but that may change later. Until then, this is the only thing one could consider a "problem".
        Last edited by RacH22; 08-18-2008, 12:13 AM.

Comment

Bump for Edit^^. Awsome DIY dude, you can add this if youd like..

Comment

nice RacH22 i was going to try and use a diodo. i might try that BUT thats after i get it mounted....

i wanted to use the orginal bracket from the cd5 but its a bit tall, plus looks like i mounted in like a 1/4" further towards the sunroof openning.

Comment

Thanks!
              I'll try to get pictures of my entire setup tomorrow. I used the original CD mount with mine and have zero fitment issues? Not sure whats up on that. And as far as alignment, my lights are mounted in a fashion where there is an equal amount of space on both sides and the space in the front matches the amount on the sides. I wasn't worried about space between the lights and the sunroof. Although, we did use the sunroof opening to measure from for the placement of our cardboard template. Also, using the original mount behind it gives it the "pressed" look around the edges.

Comment

yeah i think i placed mine a bit too far forward. i used the cd5 placment in its headliner as a guide. i modded the bracket and everything fits ok now. other than me losing a screw.......

sidenote, why didnt they do this at the factory?

looking forward to your relay pics. its so dark in my car some nites.
                Last edited by kc8enb07; 09-04-2008, 03:58 AM.

Comment

Just a little sidenote/"thinker"....

Ive seen a few cars with little lights on the underside of the rearview. I wonder how much that whole setup would cost, and how hard it would be to wire that up to a set of maplights.....

Having the maplights would be cool, but those lights rearviews are cool too.

KeepinItClean | EnviousFilms | NoBigDeal | YET2BSCENE | .· ` ' / ·. | click here.
                  Originally posted by Jarrett
                  Is there a goal you're trying to accomplish besides looking dope as hell?

Comment

I dunno anything off hand that has them factory. You'd probably have to adjust the location of the mirror to fit the cap they have that covers the wires leading to it. I would say the wiring would be about the same as above.

Comment

i think fords have those rear view mirrors alot. good idea, go to a PNP and get one for $5 and try it

i like the maplights since they are finally in

Comment

I have a sunroof, so if/when i do this, i have to wire them up around it.

Itd be nice for them to come on when the doors open, but i may just wire them up so i can turn them on/off when needed.

I dont remember what car(s) has the lighted rearview, but im sure i can find out.

KeepinItClean | EnviousFilms | NoBigDeal | YET2BSCENE | .· ` ' / ·. | click here.
                        Originally posted by Jarrett
                        Is there a goal you're trying to accomplish besides looking dope as hell?

Comment

having a sunroff makes it easier, just remove the trim and wrap around the openning.

Comment

x2. And making them turn on with the door open is a $10 addition. Not bad at all.

Comment

ill probably do that next week. seems handy. after i get some leds for them as well

Comment

well I just wanted to share....I haven't done this YET, but did find mine from a 97 2.2 CL in the JY today. I got the bracket and everything but am kinda nervous about cutting the headliner. Now if we have an EX w/ the sunroof can the headliner for this area come off...I thought I read somewhere??? I just don't want to snap anything. But here's some pics of mine....basically like everyone else's:

member's ride thread
                                93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
                                99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
                                91 Accord SE 176k
                                97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Working...
                                X