No announcement yet.

jdm92_accorn : 1992 Accord LX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone know what a 1998 accord wagon VTL is? I finally found out where EXACTLY that the Jdm f23a comes from, it's the 97-02 GF-CF6/7accord wagon Vi and E-CF6/7 accord wagon VTL. The jdm is about the same as the usdm f23a1 with the exception of a difference in compression ratio and a more aggressive camshaft. The cam specs are unknown but the compression is 1/2 a point higher.
    I was looking through some of my blocks and decided to cc them. Sure enough, my jdm block is a 10cc dish and my usdm block is 14cc dish. This means I have to apologize for my inaccuracies, my cr on my f23 setup was 10.25:1 not 9.7:1 which is why 86mm 10.5:1 pistons don't make a big improvement alone on the F23A. The difference is even visually apparent.
    USDM F23a1 pistons read PAA

JDM F23A pistons read PCG

So I did the math

my cylinder head is 47cc, its a standard f22a6 head milled .020"
    F23A felpro head gasket is 86.75mm or 8.675cm with a .026" crush thickness or .06604cm (converting to cm makes the math easier)
    F23A bore is 86mm or 8.6cm
    F23A stroke is 97mm or 9.7cm

ok so formula we use to calculate volume is V=πr^2h
    head cc is measured = 47cc
    piston is measured dish = 10cc
    gasket volume: (3.1416) x (4.3375^(2)) x .06604 = 3.9033cc
    cylinder volume at bdc: (3.1416) x (4.3^(2)) x 9.7 = 563.4554
    total volume at bdc: 47cc + 10cc + 3.9033cc + 563.4554cc = 624.3587cc
    total volume at tdc: 47cc + 10cc + 3.9033cc = 60.9033cc

compression ratio: 624.3587cc ÷ 60.9033cc = 10.2516 ratio

if you use the zealautowerks calculator properly it is very accurate

here she is, the original home of the F23A

it all started with a spark of curiosity while playing some classic GT2.

this brings me to the next phase in my build, ive actually been doing alot of my own tuning lately and have found more power from myself than others

results

almost 180whp/171wtq from 87octane F22A/B with bolt-ons and a milled head. my next F23 will be using all of these parts with a more aggressive cam and hopefully another hytech rep header with a 3" exhaust. this time around im shooting for 230-240whp with little to no lope at idle. gearing and spring rates still need to be addressed but for now i just thought id share some new findings and plans.
    Last edited by jdm92_accorn; 07-21-2015, 12:42 AM.

MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=95154

Comment

It looks like an extended wagon. Maybe a smaller option for countries like Japan & Europe where they want vans, but not Odessey type vans? Ugly, but neat.

http://onlytruecars.com/photo/im/hon...04/default.htm

Comment

i wonder if anyone will even notice the fuel map vs the torque curve, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by F22Chris View Post
          It looks like an extended wagon. Maybe a smaller option for countries like Japan & Europe where they want vans, but not Odessey type vans? Ugly, but neat.

http://onlytruecars.com/photo/im/hon...04/default.htm
          It's just a Japanese market Accord with a wagon rear end. It's the same chassis as the Accord SiR and Accord Euro-R for the most part. The higher end model of this wagon is also where the H23A VTEC comes from.

This engine is also available in the second generation Odyssey in foreign markets. Not everyone has to haul fat kids around like we do.
          My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Yah, lol, the American public tend to be 200lbs on average. I'm calling Will, the guy I get my jdm engines through, today to order another jdm f23a. I think I'm going to sell all my spare parts again. I hate having clutter. When I change my mind on a build I like starting fresh. Hopefully I should have enough for another hardweld cam.

Comment

Your work never ceases to amaze.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

This was with the stock F22B head/cams, correct? That's pretty impressive. I'd love it if you could confirm the F23A's cam is indeed more aggressive than the USDM counterpart; I've yet to try to cross reference part number's between the three VTEC f-series. It's probably not worth the money for me to try to get an F23A's cam if it is indeed more aggressive(can't be by much), but I'm really on the lookout for a cam that produces good torque, doesn't need to be revved higher than 6500RPM, and works on stock F23A1 valvetrain. If I can make 160whp/tq on a stock F23A1 long block, I'll be really happy; 180-190whp and over 160wtq is my goal on this F23A1. Not really sure if I can use the specs for the cams you've spec'd to Web as a base to transfer onto an F23A1 cam, but that'd be awesome!

'98 Prelude resto/mod thread

Comment

it is a f22b dohc block with stock f22a6 head milled .020", my regrind, bisi header, aem SRI and ported f22b lower and h22 upper. as far as the f23a, the jdm cam is similar enough to the usdm to not yield and real gains. im not sure of exact specs but there is more cam lift on the f22b1 than the f23a1. if it tells you anything there's only a 5hp and 5lb/ft difference with half a point compression increase and a 4.5% increase in displacement. if i had to bet, the cam is less aggressive in the f23a1.

Comment

Good on ya, thanks for the info! I just need to man up and grab a spare cam to see if Web will regrind a VTEC cam to your specs.

Comment

i dont think the'll regrind on vtec camshafts, they may but im not 100%. the head flow characteristics of the vtec heads are different, it may take a different profile to achieve the same performance as the f22a heads. the f23 head is actually a little better stock for stock vs the f22a head. but the f22a head with port work vs the f23a head with portwork, the f22a wins. ive actually been contemplating doing a full f23a swap just to try it out.

Comment

Good stuff. My F23A was from an Odyssey. The pistons are way different.

Black Housing DIY 1991 Wagon Morimoto Retrofit
                        JDM One-Piece Headlight Lens Repair

Comment

Originally posted by jdm92_accorn View Post
                          i dont think the'll regrind on vtec camshafts, they may but im not 100%. the head flow characteristics of the vtec heads are different, it may take a different profile to achieve the same performance as the f22a heads. the f23 head is actually a little better stock for stock vs the f22a head. but the f22a head with port work vs the f23a head with portwork, the f22a wins. ive actually been contemplating doing a full f23a swap just to try it out.
                          Do it, mine's pretty great. I can't imagine how it would do with some more power, it'd be wicked fun. As it sits now, from a roll it's quicker than most of the B16 car's I've come across, pretty even with stock K20 cars until higher speeds, but a decently modified B-series will still give me the stick. It's just about as quick as an H22 5th gen Prelude. An H-trans would do it wonders. I still have to finish porting/gutting the F23 lower intake I have, add a real exhaust, and get it tuned! Lots of power left to be made.
                          Last edited by Chrisnick; 08-04-2015, 09:25 PM.

Comment

id like to see a full cnc ported f23a head with bigger valves and a big cam on 11.5:1 pistons. i bet 240whp is doable on the sohc vtec head. its just easier for me with the non vtec heads because ive been doing it so long.

Comment

I'd like to be able to make about 200whp with the stock head. We'll see what next year holds, I'm more keen on getting a better tire for autocross on the car than a cam at this point.

Comment

Now that Delta ended his 282 grind. And Bisi shipped me a A6 cam (With no regrind O_o) I'm ordering a cam with your Custom Grind, in a week or so, this is about to get really interesting.

I've noted that your cam spec likes to be centered or slightly retarded, i will definitely tell you how it works out for me.

Thanks again for sharing, you're a good man Gary.
                                Check out my MRT, i'd love some constructive criticism ---> http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=204165 PICTURES FROM 2014! DOES NOT REPRESENT CURRENT STATE

Comment

Working...
                                X