No announcement yet.

jdm92_accorn : 1992 Accord LX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So many forces at work. Great post, btw. It's good to see someone into the most important part on the vehicle.

Ideally, in a perfect scenario, on street tires. I need to know how to gear my motor so that I can actually use all the torque I plan on having. I have an rpm and max speed in mind, I just need a reduction gear for the best acceleration.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Build the engine. Dyno it to see where the curves fall. Then decide on ratios and tire size from there to fit the application. For me, I need max acceleration in 2nd gear from 3500-6500ish RPM. Max speed around 65mph in 2nd. Stretching it to 7000rpm isn't beyond my means, but I'd like to not do that so often. With a 25" tall tire, that makes the 97-01 Prelude gearboxes just about ideal, IMO, when matched to a torque curve that really starts to pull from the rev's where I play the most in. It also has a .812 5th which, with the 4.266FD, has a decent cruising RPM for my daily commute. So, knowing that 5th is pretty ideal, I can rev to a max of 7000RPM(with a few limiter bumps built in by design on faster courses, which is faster than shifting), I can either build my power around that specific RPM range tuning intake and exhaust tracts(which works well for me in F-Street Prepared as I have to use the best engine combo with open rules from before and after the head-although the Prelude transmission isn't exactly... "legal" in that class), or, I can go a bit crazier and build an engine combo that makes power from whatever RPM I want to take advantage of a specific gearset that I like. So, for FSP, I'd pick a 2nd gear that best makes use of the available power of an F-SOHC swap that falls within the rules(which just so happens to be the 92-93 EX wagon trans), or if I wanted to play in Street Mod FWD(SMF), I can go buckwild with an engine combo since just about anything goes, and choose my gear ratios from there in whatever trans I want. Tires play an important part of getting that power to the ground, and can affect overall ratios and power delivery since they're the last piece of the puzzle for power getting to the ground. For drag racing, I'd suspect the top of 4th gear may be ideal, and it all really depends on what the power/weight ratio is capable of allowing the car to trap MPH wise at the 1/4 mark. With the F/H transmissions, this actually comes out to be the top of 3rd gear with most stock ratios and tire sizes.... depending on how much power you make. It's quite the vicious cycle.

FSP is cheaper. I'll stick with that lol. Lots of calculating to do but worth it in the end. I like that it's a very "Initial D" style of tuning and works for my style best.

TLDR: get the power you want, choose a gearset that best takes advantage of the powerband. Change tire sizing from that point as based on what speed you want each gear to end at, getting the overall spread as close to ideal as possible(AKA the greatest amount of average torque/power through the RPM range) with the gearset.

Sonik, I hate to threadjack here, but post in your thread what you're thinking and I'll bounce my ideas off of you.
      Last edited by Chrisnick; 02-04-2015, 03:44 AM.

'98 Prelude resto/mod thread

Comment

This is a member ride thread, not a technical thread. Please start your own, as this info is VERY useful.
        Originally posted by Mishakol129
        Do not disrespect my intelligence. I am the smartest person I know : )

Comment

no problems. I tend to rant when it comes to a technical aspect of something. Lots of great info here.

Comment

It does deserve it's own thread, not sure which section. Probably suspension...

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

bringing it back to the mrt, i've contemplated going with a different wheel and tire combo but im more about function over form and this car spends almost all of its time on street duty. mileage is more priority over maximum traction. also have to keep in mind this trans i currently open diff which is quite a big issue, that coupled with the soft rear spring rate it lifts pretty bad which also doesnt help. i think with traction bars, lsd and a little bit stiffer rear spring traction wouldn't be an issue till about 250wtq on the kuhmos. i love the 4x's, i get about 50k miles without any issues and thats with the occasional track visits. if i were to put a pure performance street tire on id go with bridgestone RE-11A's in a 205/50/15 it fits the rim, they have great sidewall rigidity with some give, warm up quickly but doesnt overheat all that easy and the tread compound is sticky as shit when they're warmed up. plus the price is right and the smaller diameter vs the oem tire size is the equivalent of swapping to a 4.4 fd over the stock 4.266 in the M2S4 trans i run. tires and transmissions are some of the most important and overlooked things when building a car.

MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=95154

Comment

Weren't you borrowing a set of 23" or 22" slicks from someone at one time, too?

Comment

225/50/15, pretty much 24". Slicks make up for a lot of my 13sec pass. I have yet to hit faster than a 14.0~ without them.

Comment

Bisi's got their F22 valve springs on sale for $135 right now. For valves, I found a company called Running Strong that has "high quality alloy, nitrided intake, and stainless exhaust valves." Anyone used these? I need valves for my head anyway
                    Originally posted by DoctorCipher
                    ...the beginner forum was created to provide a place for all the stupid ass questions to pile up and fester, kind of like huge globs of mayonnaise left in the sun for weeks at a time.

Comment

True story, yesterday I put new tires on the car and decided the new tires made the rest of the car look a little dirty, lol. So I cleaned it up, hand washed it and guess what happens over night.....

Because I live at the east coast at the beach in the south, this is an oddity so I'm off work. Guess I should go drive around, lol.

Comment

That's a cool setup. Is the screen just above it?

Comment

Nah, it fits perfectly between my couch and coffee table. GranTurismo on the 60" .

Comment

Originally posted by jdm92_accorn View Post
                            Nah, it fits perfectly between my couch and coffee table. GranTurismo on the 60" .
                            Damn. I'm jealous.

Come to think of it, i haven't played GT in years. I should break it back out for some laps.

Comment

I love s dash .

Comment

Me too. ECU feedback is instant and what you see is fully customizable. If only it didn't use up so much battery.
                                *** Think of others before thinking of yourself. ***
                                ********** Spread love, not hate. ***********
                                ****Lift others up with kind and helpful words****

F20A_CB7, I miss you, but I will see you one day.
                                "Nothing a little prayer can't fix."

MRT
                                Selling on Ebay!

15.10 @ 90.42mph
                                The quest for 9s ceased, now the goal is a circuit track monster!
                                Current fastest Laguna Seca Lap: 1:52.889

Comment

Working...
                                X