X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shadow1 View Post
    future plans:
    -new headlights
    -fix interior issues(floor mats, rear driver door panel)
    -CF wrap for center console trim
    -1-1.5in more of a drop
    -new struts
    -15mm spacers for rear and 10mm for rear
    Why replace the headlights? The TSX setup was for many years one of the best setups you could have.

Comment

Originally posted by Clean_4th gen View Post
      Love it dude. Its so tempting to get one.
      you should man. OMG i love mine. every day i go out, i know it's going to start. when i drive to work, i dont have to watch for the oil light to come on because its leaking oil or having other issues. and im not working on it every day im off. only thing it gets right now is cleaned. lol.

Originally posted by AccordWarrior View Post
      Why replace the headlights? The TSX setup was for many years one of the best setups you could have.
      they are indeed awesome. but one of them has the dern foggy/hazy crap on it. used 3 different headlight restore products on it and nothing. i can buy the JDM type ones for $160/pair with the clear corners

or just replace it with a factory one for $130 for that one. idk yet.

thought about repainting the car white. was going to do white accents on the inside. thought about taking the headlight apart and painting the projector housing white and the back of it black with yellow highbeams. just small little stuff that give subtle looks.

Comment

they are indeed awesome. but one of them has the dern foggy/hazy crap on it. used 3 different headlight restore products on it and nothing. i can buy the JDM type ones for $160/pair with the clear corners

or just replace it with a factory one for $130 for that one. idk yet.

thought about repainting the car white. was going to do white accents on the inside. thought about taking the headlight apart and painting the projector housing white and the back of it black with yellow highbeams. just small little stuff that give subtle looks.
        Try this method first as a last ditch effort.

I'd just go with an OEM replacement, those aftermarket units are never as high quality as your OEM setup. I'd venture to say they'd fog over quite quick.

If you're thinking of a color change, I'd just look for a white car and start over. I'm not a big fan of color changes because you can always tell if a car has had a color change. Plus, to get a good quality respray is going to be thousands.

Comment

I'd just go with an OEM replacement, those aftermarket units are never as high quality as your OEM setup. I'd venture to say they'd fog over quite quick.

If you're thinking of a color change, I'd just look for a white car and start over. I'm not a big fan of color changes because you can always tell if a car has had a color change. Plus, to get a good quality respray is going to be thousands.
          i've been looking up reviews for them and no one has had any problems with them. clear as the OEMs. fitment on point. some guys have the cash to go with the JDM/EDM style ones that are like $500+. wtf? lol. but no. no fogging issues.

i've tried the wet sanding one too. toothpaste. tried it all. nothing. no avail. i'll probably just replace the one headlight for the time being. the other one is perfectly fine.

as far as the repaint. it's in the air. not sure if i want to. if it did get repainted, it would be after me and the wife get the new house so i have the garage to work on. wouldn't cost me much in materials. no crazy front white pearl or nighthawk black pearl or some crap. it'll be a jet gloss black or a plain gloss white. been watching vids on doing it right to get a good finished product, so it'll be something i have to take my time on. not like my old CB that i rushed thru and looked like crap.

Comment

This method is spot on. If you follow the DIY AccordWarrior provided you, you should be able to restore your lenses. I've done this on many MANY headlights while i was working at a Honda dealership, TSX's and TL's included. In my experience there is no amount of hazing that can't be fixed with some elbow grease and patience. If you buy cheap aftermarket headlamp replacements not only are you throwing money away but you'll be downgrading to far less capable optics. The TSX low-beam projector is widely regarded as one of the best. No sense swapping them out for cheap garbage when you can spend an hour restoring your lenses for pennies on the dollar.

just my 2 cents...

Form.Follows.Function

Comment

Originally posted by islandhopper View Post
              This method is spot on. If you follow the DIY AccordWarrior provided you, you should be able to restore your lenses. I've done this on many MANY headlights while i was working at a Honda dealership, TSX's and TL's included. In my experience there is no amount of hazing that can't be fixed with some elbow grease and patience. If you buy cheap aftermarket headlamp replacements not only are you throwing money away but you'll be downgrading to far less capable optics. The TSX low-beam projector is widely regarded as one of the best. No sense swapping them out for cheap garbage when you can spend an hour restoring your lenses for pennies on the dollar.

just my 2 cents...
              as i have said, i've tried all that stuff before. i'll end up spending more on getting the drill and supplies than it would just for me to replace it with a factory one or replace both with the clear corner ones pictured above.

and the ones i posted are NOT bad quality. i research a lot of stuff before i decide to buy something. especially something that's going to cost me $150+. tires, suspension, brakes, engine mods. all of it gets searched and reviewed for MONTHS before i buy them. like my Megan Racing lowering springs. i looked around for 3-4 months before i even got my car to decide on getting them. lol.

even if the projector does turn out to be bad quality, i do still have my factory lights and can sell them. if they turn out to be good headlights, i can sell my factory ones for $200 or keep them are spares. either way, ill end up coming out on top. haha.

Wife just bought me some Stagg struts for my CL9. $150 for the set. i know what you're thinking. they're crap. from the reviews i've seen. no. a lot of people like them. as long as you're not slammed, then they ride fine. im sure they'll go perfect with my MR springs since its only a 2in drop. but i plan to drop it another inch....we shall see how they fair...

Comment

nice dude.....hope to see you in april
                MadLab Racing
                Southern Maryland

Comment

If you "tried all that stuff before" your headlights would be crystal clear.

It's sounds like you were using one of those "restore your headlights in 5min!" kits. They never work for badly oxidized lenses. They just don't get deep enough to bring out the fresh lens.

The most important part of polycarbonate lens restoration is the wet sanding. You should be spending MOST of the restoration process here, making sure every inch is sanded properly. It takes time and patience and an eye for detail. The better the wet sanding, the better the end result. You can trust me on this; Your headlights are fixable! Just need some TLC.

Or, the easiest, quickest way to go about it is to spend the money and get entirely new assemblies. But you run the risk of getting sub-par optics from aftermarket suppliers that are designed to make money by selling mediocre parts at "good" prices, not top-quality equipment at a fair price. And trust me, if it's not OEM or an OEM supplier, the quality will be suspect.

Form.Follows.Function

Comment

Originally posted by drummersteve7 View Post
                    nice dude.....hope to see you in april
                    hopefully people show. lol.

Originally posted by islandhopper View Post
                    If you "tried all that stuff before" your headlights would be crystal clear.

It's sounds like you were using one of those "restore your headlights in 5min!" kits. They never work for badly oxidized lenses. They just don't get deep enough to bring out the fresh lens.

The most important part of polycarbonate lens restoration is the wet sanding. You should be spending MOST of the restoration process here, making sure every inch is sanded properly. It takes time and patience and an eye for detail. The better the wet sanding, the better the end result. You can trust me on this; Your headlights are fixable! Just need some TLC.

Or, the easiest, quickest way to go about it is to spend the money and get entirely new assemblies. But you run the risk of getting sub-par optics from aftermarket suppliers that are designed to make money by selling mediocre parts at "good" prices, not top-quality equipment at a fair price. And trust me, if it's not OEM or an OEM supplier, the quality will be suspect.
                    the only thing that was missing is the drill part. all the other restore kits i've tried. and no. none that are instant in 5min" kits. lol. i've never been that kind of person. if it takes only 5min to fix it, then its not worth it.

Comment

you should man. OMG i love mine. every day i go out, i know it's going to start. when i drive to work, i dont have to watch for the oil light to come on because its leaking oil or having other issues. and im not working on it every day im off. only thing it gets right now is cleaned. lol.
                      Thats a good point. I do plan on getting one, I just have to get some things straightened out before I go for it. For now my Versa does the job, its paid off now so things are getting better.
                      1990 Accord EX

Comment

Originally posted by Clean_4th gen View Post
                        Thats a good point. I do plan on getting one, I just have to get some things straightened out before I go for it. For now my Versa does the job, its paid off now so things are getting better.
                        having a car paid off feel good dont it? lol. one of the reasons i liked having a CB. it was paid off. haha.

new pics

new struts from Stagg SHS matched with Megan Racing lowering springs. ride pretty good. but the spring rates for the springs make for a soft ride. too soft for me so i'll be going to their coilover sleeves soon. they actually have the spring rates i want.

right now i have my new front lip and some different brand 6000k HID bulbs on the way. the ones i got from DDM Tuning suck. one of them keeps acting up when i go to turn on the headlights. didn't have this problem with the factory bulbs. so i can only think the bulbs are the problem.
                        Last edited by Shadow1; 03-13-2014, 08:00 AM.

Comment

as i have said, i've tried all that stuff before. i'll end up spending more on getting the drill and supplies than it would just for me to replace it with a factory one or replace both with the clear corner ones pictured above.

and the ones i posted are NOT bad quality. i research a lot of stuff before i decide to buy something. especially something that's going to cost me $150+. tires, suspension, brakes, engine mods. all of it gets searched and reviewed for MONTHS before i buy them. like my Megan Racing lowering springs. i looked around for 3-4 months before i even got my car to decide on getting them. lol.

even if the projector does turn out to be bad quality, i do still have my factory lights and can sell them. if they turn out to be good headlights, i can sell my factory ones for $200 or keep them are spares. either way, ill end up coming out on top. haha.

Wife just bought me some Stagg struts for my CL9. $150 for the set. i know what you're thinking. they're crap. from the reviews i've seen. no. a lot of people like them. as long as you're not slammed, then they ride fine. im sure they'll go perfect with my MR springs since its only a 2in drop. but i plan to drop it another inch....we shall see how they fair...
                          $150 headlights are not quality. The output is going to be garbage. And odds are highthey are not sealed well and will leak. I got a set of Depo headlights for my Z and they always fog up. Not good for the bulbs. At the minimum, if you do get those headlights, swap the OEM low beam projectors over.

Generally, I only get crap headlights like this to do retrofits. But the TSX has some of the best low beam projectors on the road. So downgrading functionality for appearance doesn't make sense to me. I'm certain you can fix the lenses for less than $150.

Originally posted by lordoja
                          im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

Originally posted by gloryaccordy View Post
                            But the TSX has some of the best low beam projectors on the road. So downgrading functionality for appearance doesn't make sense to me. I'm certain you can fix the lenses for less than $150.
                            I agree with gloryaccordy. For reference, the headlights on my TSX are far superior to those of my dad's bixenon-equipped 2006 750Li - a $103,000 car back in the day. The TSX headlights were far ahead of their time. I understand how much better the clear corners look (I love them too), but I'm waiting to get a used EuroR set instead.

If you do end up getting the DEPO headlights, can you please post photos of the cutoff and output? I'm curious to see how they look.

EDIT: For the record, my TSX headlights have a little yellowing on them as well. I'm going to try and buff them out this month, and I'll post photos.
                            Original-Owner 1991 Honda Accord
                            2005 Acura TSX 6MT
                            2010 Mazda Miata Grand Touring

Comment

Originally posted by gloryaccordy View Post
                              $150 headlights are not quality. The output is going to be garbage. And odds are highthey are not sealed well and will leak. I got a set of Depo headlights for my Z and they always fog up. Not good for the bulbs. At the minimum, if you do get those headlights, swap the OEM low beam projectors over.

Generally, I only get crap headlights like this to do retrofits. But the TSX has some of the best low beam projectors on the road. So downgrading functionality for appearance doesn't make sense to me. I'm certain you can fix the lenses for less than $150.
                              i've looked around about them and no one has really had any problems from them. i do a lot of searching before i spend that much money on something.

Originally posted by Nurega View Post
                              I agree with gloryaccordy. For reference, the headlights on my TSX are far superior to those of my dad's bixenon-equipped 2006 750Li - a $103,000 car back in the day. The TSX headlights were far ahead of their time. I understand how much better the clear corners look (I love them too), but I'm waiting to get a used EuroR set instead.

If you do end up getting the DEPO headlights, can you please post photos of the cutoff and output? I'm curious to see how they look.

EDIT: For the record, my TSX headlights have a little yellowing on them as well. I'm going to try and buff them out this month, and I'll post photos.
                              i'll see about getting them. yesterday i took my headlights out and put in some new 6000k bulbs. better quality. better output. a crap load better than the DDM Tuning bulbs i had. and plus, no issue with the bulb not coming on when i 1st turn the car on.

also while the headlights out, i wet-sanded the headlight with 800, 100, 1500, and 2000 grit then sprayed a clear coat. looks fine now. no yellowing or pealing. haha.

Comment

6000K is def not better output. And just cause nobody had problems with the $150 lights doesnt mean they are worth installing. Id get em for the lenses/bezels and toss the rest.

Originally posted by lordoja
                                im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

Working...
                                X