No announcement yet.

What car would you buy with $15k?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would like an M5 but maintenance and the price/availability of parts scares me.

I've looked into Audis but usually there are about 3-4 on Consumer Reports least reliable list.

If I had to go with a sedan I would look into a GS or an Accord V6.

For something sporty I would stick with my AP1 or sell it and see if I could find an 06 AP2 with low miles. Or and I know this is going against the rules the OP set forth, I would get a 98 240SX and do some form of a swap.

Edit: An EVO would also be something that could be had for that price but I would be worried that a previous owner beat the crap out of it. I've had a Subaru and driven multiple Subarus and liked them but just one small problem with the engine turns into a very expensive bill. Flat fours are a bitch to work on and like to go boom.
    Last edited by accord93racer; 09-03-2011, 02:49 PM.

Comment

My opinion of your choices so far:

Originally posted by Gemini View Post
      Altima SER (I know, not listed in this quote, but mentioned earlier) It IS just an Altima... slightly more aggressive looking, nice Maxima engine... but overall... Altima. To me, the Altima always screamed "I can't afford a Maxima!"

E39 BMW M5 (preferably 01-03) Awesome, until it breaks... then the repair costs will break YOU!

2001 BMW 740i/il Sport Edition (i'ma a huge Transporter fan) See above

04-07 Infiniti G35 Coupe 6MT Not bad, if you can fit into it comfortably. Reliable enough, and common enough to fix when it breaks. Many of them are pretty beat up by this point, though... and around here at least, it's the car of choice for idiot guidos... though I don't think you could be mistaken for a guido, Dean!

04-07 Honda Accord V6 (Auto or 6MT) Probably the most sensible choice. Reliable, affordable to fix, looks decent... still, to me, it's kinda... boring.

00-06 Lexus GS3/4 (preferably Sport or Platinum edition - strong VIP platform) Nice looking cars, and decently reliable. A little pricey to repair. They bore me, though... and a VIP treatment is pretty impractical for your only daily driver (which I assume this is)

01-06 Lexus LS430 (perfect VIP platform IMO) See my comment about the GS, only with more emphasis on repair cost.

04-07 Acura TL (preferably w/ A-spec kit) About as good as the Accord, with a slightly higher cost of ownership, and better looks (especially with the A-Spec kit.) Of your choices, I'd probably go this route. It suits you the best, without being impractical.
      The biggest things to consider are 1) what is your primary need for this car, because if it doesn't meet that need, it's not the right car for you. and 2) can you afford to OWN the car once you buy it... maintenance, repairs, insurance...

Another option is to follow the same path I'm on... Cadillac CTS-V $15,000 is what I'm hoping to spend on an 06. So far, I'm finding 20k+, but I haven't been looking seriously. Plus, some old guy that needs a more efficient car might take what he can get.
      My reasoning for the Caddy is: 1) Not many kids buy a CTS-V. Too expensive, and too "old man" for most... so chances are good that some old fart will own it. Chances are good that it'll be an original owner. Chances are good that the old fart will have some appreciation and understanding for cars, otherwise he'd have just settled for the much cheaper V6 model! 2) if it breaks, most parts will be affordable. The low-end CTS models are a dime a dozen, and they'll probably be popping up in u-pull junkyards soon, if they're not already. Many of the parts are shared with the base CTS. The engine and transmission are shared with the Corvette, and to a lesser extent the GTO, G8, Camaro, Firebird, and probably even the FWD cars like the Impala SS, Grand Prix, and Bonneville (engine parts, anyway... obviously not transmission.) Therefore, when it breaks, I'm not at the mercy of high-end Cadillac pricing! (that's one reason I avoided the supercharged Northstar equipped STS-V... awesome car, but when that engine breaks, you have to call Cadillac to fix it!)

Comment

You can only call Cadillac untill your warranty expires then when it brakes it will be a bitch to fix because gm puts things in the hardest to get to spots. When your Cadillac's power steering pump needs replaced you can pick up the pump cheap but be prepared to drop the engine to put it in.
        Last edited by thepowderblue; 09-03-2011, 03:42 PM.
        Green EX http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=176536
        93 SE http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=210486

Comment

Originally posted by HondaB18 View Post
          15k would be pre face lifted 1st gen g35 coupe. those have many common issues such as bad radio that requires replacement of hvac panel, window regulator going bad (since the glass needs to go down when you open/close door), oil consumption issue, brake issues (unless you go with the 03-04 sport with brembo) but that would push it out of your budget, compression rods, weak end links, and much more. lots of tsb too. low tire wear due to suspension and low fuel economy due to engine efficiency. everyone say they are good cars but don't mention these things they have. not trying to push you away from this choice but thought you might like to know these things beforehand. sorta hoped someone would have told me
          thanks for the info...some of those things i didnt know...there is 04 sport coupe w/ the brembo package going for $14000. The dude already replace the radio to solve the issue but if they have oil consumption issues that can be a deal breaker.
          1993 Accord LX - Sold
          93 BMW 525it - SOLD
          92 Accord EX Sedan - SOLD
          2000 Accord Coupe - Traded-In
          2003 Accord V6 6spd Coupe - Sold
          2001 Honda Civic Ex - SOLD
          2013 Chevy Traverse LTZ - Kid hauler
          2003 Acura Tl 3.2 - Daily Commuter

Comment

An '04 Marauder would be a good choice.

Reasoning:

1. It's big and comfortable. C'mon, it's the size of a Crown Vick. You'd be comfortable Dean.

2. This is an American classic that was initially bought by mature adults who loved American muscle. With that being said, I'm sure you could find an original owner, good condition, low mileage one for you targeted price range.

3. Fun? Ha! It's a muscle car with TONS of aftermarket support. I mean a small block 305 that weights roughly 2.25 tons that will keep up with the best of them; especially with some simple bolt-ons and headers. did I mention it's easy to do a burn out and drift due to the loads of torque from the small block V8.

4. Maintenance? Please! It's American, and most parts needed can be easily acquired from many of its brothers and sisters which are a dime a dozen (Crown Victoria, Mercury Marquis, etc.). Even from the dealer parts are relatively inexpensive compared to its competitors (Germans, Japanese, British, etc.).

5. Reliability? I haven't heard anything bad about them, except for a few recalls in 2005. What car didn't have a few recalls? I know the CB had a few.

So in short, this is a fun car to drive, inexpensive, can be had in very good condition for 15 large, and if you paid 14 large for it, that extra thousand could easily make it see 400+ HP.

My $ 0.02.
            The Lord watches over me!

"Stop punching down on my people!!!"

- D. Chappelle

Comment

If not that, get a fuckin' Pontiac G8.

You want to get in an EVO or STI's ass, this is it.

American muscle, big sedan, that can hang with a M5. Don't believe me, look at the videos.

- D. Chappelle

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                My opinion of your choices so far:

The biggest things to consider are 1) what is your primary need for this car, because if it doesn't meet that need, it's not the right car for you. and 2) can you afford to OWN the car once you buy it... maintenance, repairs, insurance...

Another option is to follow the same path I'm on... Cadillac CTS-V $15,000 is what I'm hoping to spend on an 06. So far, I'm finding 20k+, but I haven't been looking seriously. Plus, some old guy that needs a more efficient car might take what he can get.
                My reasoning for the Caddy is: 1) Not many kids buy a CTS-V. Too expensive, and too "old man" for most... so chances are good that some old fart will own it. Chances are good that it'll be an original owner. Chances are good that the old fart will have some appreciation and understanding for cars, otherwise he'd have just settled for the much cheaper V6 model! 2) if it breaks, most parts will be affordable. The low-end CTS models are a dime a dozen, and they'll probably be popping up in u-pull junkyards soon, if they're not already. Many of the parts are shared with the base CTS. The engine and transmission are shared with the Corvette, and to a lesser extent the GTO, G8, Camaro, Firebird, and probably even the FWD cars like the Impala SS, Grand Prix, and Bonneville (engine parts, anyway... obviously not transmission.) Therefore, when it breaks, I'm not at the mercy of high-end Cadillac pricing! (that's one reason I avoided the supercharged Northstar equipped STS-V... awesome car, but when that engine breaks, you have to call Cadillac to fix it!)
                All the cars ive listed ive consider maintenance/repair costs and im ok with that( i will be doing the simply stuff myself). Its cheaper to fix/maintain the regular cars like the accord, altima, etc but im tired of driving those cars at this moment. I want something fun, luxury and somewhat fast. I guess you only live once and i'm ready to take the plunge. Honestly, if i opt for the accord V6 or Altima i think ill just swap the CG to stick and put the money back in the bank because I know I wont feel fulfilled with purchasing one of those even though its quite practical. Ive been pushing back this purchase for awhile now but im ready

Now the CTS-V, ive always liked but thats your dream car(which i think is a better option that mine ) and with all the info you listed if might become an option...if i can find one for around my price which i think is almost impossible.

The TL is definitely the best bang for the buck on my list...I have about 8 of them bookmarked right now(thats twice the amount of M5 and 740 i have bookmarked) so you never know

I'm normally never confused on making most decisions this one got me all over the place.
                1993 Accord LX - Sold
                93 BMW 525it - SOLD
                92 Accord EX Sedan - SOLD
                2000 Accord Coupe - Traded-In
                2003 Accord V6 6spd Coupe - Sold
                2001 Honda Civic Ex - SOLD
                2013 Chevy Traverse LTZ - Kid hauler
                2003 Acura Tl 3.2 - Daily Commuter

Comment

Straight Success thats gross its a ford.
                  Green EX http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=176536
                  93 SE http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=210486

Comment

Originally posted by thepowderblue View Post
                    Yes it is, but it is a very fast a reliable one. I haven't heard any problems from them what-so-ever.

There are quite a few in my part of town. One has 130k miles on it, second owner, daily driven, and runs flat 13's all day long.

- D. Chappelle

Comment

To add to the list 97-03 W-Body GTP,SS monte,Regal.Comfortable, luxurious,REAL quick.My buddys got a intimidator SS monte runs mid 7s in the 8th off spray .Its not stock though,but the SC 3.8s stock are quite quick to begin with mid 9s, but with bolt ons an a pulley size change peeps them up quite abite.

02 Crv
                      02 silverado Ex cab Z71, 2011 TRD 17" wheels, 245/80/17, ls1 cam, AFE intake, 3" catback, tuned by Larry at LSXperformance&pcm tuning driven daily.
                      92 Acura Legend colbalt blue LS Coupe, custom intake, custom vibrant 2.5 cat back, led cluster and high beams, 2016 Coyote GT 18x8 wheels 235/40/18.
                      Coming Soon Tein TSX coilovers.

Comment

Originally posted by Gemini View Post
                        All the cars ive listed ive consider maintenance/repair costs and im ok with that( i will be doing the simply stuff myself). Its cheaper to fix/maintain the regular cars like the accord, altima, etc but im tired of driving those cars at this moment. I want something fun, luxury and somewhat fast. I guess you only live once and i'm ready to take the plunge. Honestly, if i opt for the accord V6 or Altima i think ill just swap the CG to stick and put the money back in the bank because I know I wont feel fulfilled with purchasing one of those even though its quite practical. Ive been pushing back this purchase for awhile now but im ready

Now the CTS-V, ive always liked but thats your dream car(which i think is a better option that mine ) and with all the info you listed if might become an option...if i can find one for around my price which i think is almost impossible.

The TL is definitely the best bang for the buck on my list...I have about 8 of them bookmarked right now(thats twice the amount of M5 and 740 i have bookmarked) so you never know

I'm normally never confused on making most decisions this one got me all over the place.
                        The CTS is hardly my dream car... just the most suitable car for my wants and needs based on what I can (and want to) afford. It's the most power, luxury, and looks for the money, with a relatively low cost of ownership and a decent aftermarket (if I want to modify it... maybe a supercharger... )

Another thing to consider is the condition of the cars at the prices you want. Remember that $14,000 M5 we found a while back? That thing had 180,000 miles on it. It'd probably cost another $10,000 in repairs in the next year!
                        Originally posted by thepowderblue View Post
                        Do you say such stupid things in person as well, or do you save all of it for this forum?

The Marauder is a pretty cool, though it's essentially just a Grand Marquis with the Police Interceptor package. Looks damn cool, though.
                        In comparison to other cars of the same price, it's a pretty weak performer. The suspension is crap, and the power output is pretty lame. Still, modification options are out there. Of course, it's classified as a "limited production vehicle" (mainly because the demand was so low that they didn't bother making many of them... ) so I'd want to keep it in pristine stock condition.
                        I saw one rotting in someone's front yard... all covered in grime, sitting on flat tires. It gave me sadface.

Comment

Originally posted by SOHC-FTW View Post
                          To add to the list 97-03 W-Body GTP,SS monte,Regal.Comfortable, luxurious,REAL quick.My buddys got a intimidator SS monte runs mid 7s in the 8th off spray .Its not stock though,but the SC 3.8s stock are quite quick to begin with mid 9s, but with bolt ons an a pulley size change peeps them up quite abite.
                          I had one of those... 02 GTP. Dean heard the horror stories.
                          That thing was falling apart by 100,000 miles, and I truly did my best to maintain it. The brakes were undersized (I had to upgrade to 04-spec), the suspension blew on all 4 corners, the engine had about 6 different major oil leaks, the electrical system was on the fritz, the transmission slipped, the already pathetic bolsters on the driver's seat were squashed... I was SO excited when I bought the car, and I was SO happy when I left it sitting dead at the Honda dealership with 1/3 of what I still owed on it in my pocket... driving away in my brand new Fit (with half the horsepower.)

Comment

I had one of those... 02 GTP. Dean heard the horror stories.
                            That thing was falling apart by 100,000 miles, and I truly did my best to maintain it. The brakes were undersized (I had to upgrade to 04-spec), the suspension blew on all 4 corners, the engine had about 6 different major oil leaks, the electrical system was on the fritz, the transmission slipped, the already pathetic bolsters on the driver's seat were squashed... I was SO excited when I bought the car, and I was SO happy when I left it sitting dead at the Honda dealership with 1/3 of what I still owed on it in my pocket... driving away in my brand new Fit (with half the horsepower.)
                            Thats funny he owned a 287k GTP still ran like a top until he sold it an his monte is his baby hes had it since 07ish.I never heard anything bad about them other than normal wear an tear.Guess you had one hell of a factory turd to say the least.

02 Crv
                            02 silverado Ex cab Z71, 2011 TRD 17" wheels, 245/80/17, ls1 cam, AFE intake, 3" catback, tuned by Larry at LSXperformance&pcm tuning driven daily.
                            92 Acura Legend colbalt blue LS Coupe, custom intake, custom vibrant 2.5 cat back, led cluster and high beams, 2016 Coyote GT 18x8 wheels 235/40/18.
                            Coming Soon Tein TSX coilovers.

Comment

Do you say such stupid things in person as well, or do you save all of it for this forum?

The Marauder is a pretty cool, though it's essentially just a Grand Marquis with the Police Interceptor package. Looks damn cool, though.
                              In comparison to other cars of the same price, it's a pretty weak performer. The suspension is crap, and the power output is pretty lame. Still, modification options are out there. Of course, it's classified as a "limited production vehicle" (mainly because the demand was so low that they didn't bother making many of them... ) so I'd want to keep it in pristine stock condition.
                              I saw one rotting in someone's front yard... all covered in grime, sitting on flat tires. It gave me sadface.

While this is very true, it was really built for one purpose (which can always be argued). It was mainly built to be a competitor of the '94-'96 Impala SS. It was never drafted up to compete with the Germans, Japanese, British, Italian sport sedans.

Conversely, there is a reason why six months after its release, it had fortnights worth of aftermarket support. It was never intended for that car to be auto-X'ed just like the Impala SS. But, people wanted to do it. So, people quickly created suspension and performance support for the purpose of transforming it from stock to a car that could be taken to a race track, and do really really well for just a couple thousand dollars.

Not forgetting to mention that it is a very rare car. Think about the resale value in 2034. It's going to be ridiculous. It will begin to appreciate in value which is very rare for automobiles.

- D. Chappelle

Comment

Amazingly, the Maurader's resale value now is quite low... I've seen them go for under $10,000. Though I do agree with you.

And it is absolutely Ford's answer to the Impala SS. However... it came 10 years too late! In 94, it'd have been massively impressive. In 04, it's a bit behind the time.
                                I still find them impressive, though GM was offering cars with an additional 100hp by that time.

Comment

Working...
                                X